Your best song of the year

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Your best song of the year

Post by nomiyah » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:48 pm

A few days ago, I went to the West Coast Songwriter holiday party. The theme was to play the best song you wrote this year. Wouldn't that make a good thread? So here it is: What is the best song you wrote this year? Post the lyrics and/or link. Tell us what you like about the song.Nomi

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Your best song of the year

Post by nomiyah » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:05 pm

This is my favorite song I wrote this year. I haven't recorded it yet so here are the lyrics (I posted them before in Lyric Lovers).What I like about this song:The melody is distinctive and catchy.The first line of the chorus has triple alliteration.The rhyme scheme in the verses is unusual rhyming lines 1 and 5, 2 and 3, 4 and 8, 6 and 7.The song form and story are simple.It has a good message.Here it is:PERFECT ENOUGH(Words and music by Nomi Yah)Verse 1Your child gets tallWhile you are busyAnd think of it isn’tIt really a shameIf you miss it allChildhood is briefPicture books and loose teethAnd that Little League gameMan, relaxChorusLife is perfect enoughPerfect enoughLord, it could be betterSometimes it’s roughBut today is perfectIn so many waysPerfect enoughVerse 2Your Jaguar’s fastBut you’re running lateYou won’t catch the planeBut you’ll get on the nextAnd you’ll fly first-classTrying to achieveThe American DreamWhile you pile up debtsMan, relaxChorusLife is perfect enoughPerfect enoughLord, it could be betterSometimes it’s roughBut today is perfectIn so many waysPerfect enoughBridgeYou should be proud of what you’ve doneLook how far you’ve comeVerse 3Hold onto your dreamKeep up what you’re doingIf it doesn’t ruinThe time that you spendWith your familyYou are their rockAnd they love when you walkThrough that door at the endOf the dayChorusLife is perfect enoughPerfect enoughLord, it could be betterSometimes it’s roughBut today is perfectIn so many waysPerfect enough

og
Impressive
Impressive

Post by og » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:30 am

I think American Rail is one of the best songs I've ever written--sometimes simple is better! http://www.soundclick.com/KAEChallengeJun06 This page is entries to an informal songwriting contest between users of Kristal software.

zircon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zircon » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:12 am

I have two... one is a melodic dance instrumental that I spent a good deal of time on."The Art of Zen" - http://www.zirconstudios.com/ArtofZen.mp3The other one is an arrangement of a video game theme that I collaborated on with my girlfriend (an opera singer from Peabody Conservatory). We really varied the source tune quite a bit, and the vocal melody and lyrics are all completely original. It's called "Deliverance of the Heart".http://www.vgdj.net/doth.mp3This one is a little more new age-y, heavily influenced by artists like Sting, Enya, and Dido.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:29 am

Quote:This is my favorite song I wrote this year. I haven't recorded it yet so here are the lyrics (I posted them before in Lyric Lovers).What I like about this song:The melody is distinctive and catchy.The first line of the chorus has triple alliteration.The rhyme scheme in the verses is unusual rhyming lines 1 and 5, 2 and 3, 4 and 8, 6 and 7.The song form and story are simple.It has a good message.Here it is:PERFECT ENOUGH(Words and music by Nomi Yah)Lyrics hereNomiI would love to hear you singing the song! As discussed it's often hard to tell anything simply by reading the lyrics. But if you have it as a favorite for the year, than I am sure it's a good one! Got a rough demo version I could hear?Wishing you peace, joy, happiness, and musical success in 2007, Casey

pitterpatter
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pitterpatter » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:25 am

My songs are top secret at this point. Well. actually, it's more that it may take a while to save money to make the demos. By summer, I should be done paying for Christmas and then maybe. lol

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:30 pm

I listened to all the posts. Amazing range of material. Thanks for posting. I was especially impressed by the female vocals on "Deliverance of the Heart". Wow! Nice work.

stevenlebeau

Post by stevenlebeau » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:03 pm

My best song of the year is the one that's going on my first EP. It's not finished, but here's a rough mix of what I've got so far: http://stevenlebeau.tripod.com/songs/easterisland.mp3I played all the instruments.

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:09 am

Great songs. Thanks for posting. Anyone else write a song in 2006 they'd like to share with us? We have a forum concert going on here but it's about to be outdated...