- Posts: 182
- Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:02 am
- Gender: Male
10 Mistakes Songwriters Make with Robin Frederick
1. 04:53 - Not knowing what you're writing about. (Lyrics.)
2. 18:28 - Cram too much into one song. (Lyrics: Better deep than wide.)
3. 24:22 - Telling, not showing. (Use comparisons, images.)
4. 28:05 - Writing melodies that need more shape (contrast).
5. 37:17 - Not engaging the listener. Good to start right in the middle (of the story).
6. 51:40 - Lyric and music could be working together more effectively.
7. 56:04 - Writing songs that sound dated. (Today, melodies have more momentum, emotional trigger words.)
8. 1:06:55 - Waiting too late to ask what genre your are in. (Ask this at the start.)
9. 1:11:28 - Not writing enough, not growing your catalogue.
10. 1:17:35 - Not aiming your songwriting at a target. (Where are my strengths? What can I do efficiently?)
11.(Bonus!) 1:20:11 - Don't compete with the slowest car in the race. (Breaking in as an outsider requires that extra push.)
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests