Academy of Country Music Awards

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

User avatar
ottlukk
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 2578
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:57 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Minneapolis
Contact:

Academy of Country Music Awards

Post by ottlukk » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:57 pm

I've watched this show for years. Some years are better than others. The performers on this show are at the height of their popularity. But one thing struck me, even though I've seen it for years, because American Idol does the same thing. How long have they had the "groupies" rocking in front of the stage? They're standing up, rocking, waving their arms, rocking back and forth . . . it wasn't always so . . .
It's as if the vestal virgins are paying homage to the gods . . .
Two other things struck me -- during the "Barbie Doll" song, they pulled all these ladies on to the stage . . . were these the "Barbie Dolls" the song was referring to?
The second: When Brad Paisley ended up in the water, why didn't a single one of these ladies join him? Instant Fame!!! If you can be a Barbie Doll, what's the problem with being a mermaid?
Obviously, there is an Oz behind this curtain whose design I can't comprehend.
Ott

1.7
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Academy of Country Music Awards

Post by 1.7 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:02 pm

Carrie Underwood's performance was great.

User avatar
mojobone
King of the World
King of the World
Posts: 11816
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 4:20 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Up in Indiana, where the tall corn grows
Contact:

Re: Academy of Country Music Awards

Post by mojobone » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:37 pm

Miranda Lambert's mic technique was miserable. (great song, though) The three new artist nominees sang to a track and did shortened versions of their songs. The mix was better, at least, than the last awards show I watched, or rather surfed. I used to be excited about tuning in for these things, but award shows have proliferated to the point of meaninglessness, another marketing opportunity. Even the once crucial CMAs have glitzed up and dumbed down, pandering to an audience that's young enough to be influenced by advertising. In short, what's happened to award shows is pretty much what happened to Mtv; it became mTV, then just TV.

I was at Bill Kirchen's show last night; (pics on my Facebook) some of you may have been around long enough to remember him from Commander Cody's Lost Planet Airmen, the hippie fan's country band, who, unlike Country Joe and the Fish, actually played country music. (their version of Hot Rod Lincoln was about the third or fourth one; I have 'em all, and theirs is the best, mainly because of Bill's blazing guitar work) Bill played an amazing set, took a short break then played another, to standing ovations and such a storm of applause that an encore ensued. I later learned that prior to the show, he was flat on his back with a hernia, and in severe pain the whole night, yet he stayed to sign autographs, with a smile and a kind word for everyone. (he even signed my Telecaster) During the second set, he played his Grammy-nominated instrumental, Poultry In Motion (highly recommended) and mentioned that it lost out to an all-star re-make of Foggy Mountain Breakdown featuring Earl Scruggs and Steve Martin.

Screw awards shows.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro
Posts: 5351
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:13 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Peculiar, MO
Contact:

Re: Academy of Country Music Awards

Post by Len911 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:11 am

Does Reba host all the award shows?lol. Sometimes I can't tell if I'm watching a rerun or not, I realized last night was fresh because of her jokes. I used to get inspired by watching award shows. I have to admit though I got bored and only made it through a little over half I think. It was pretty obvious they didn't sell enough commercials because cbs kept advertising the same tv shows over and over, maybe that was part of my boredom. I was kinda hoping cher was gonna sing, she would have fit right in with this new country. I think new country is probably an eighties term, I don't know what the new country is, disney country? At least the taylor swift chariot in the sky ride lends itself to that theme, or broadway country with that giddy up and giddy out little dance number,lol. I kept waiting for that high bar country that I keep getting rejected for in my returns, and was hoping that Lady Antebelum's live song might be it after they had already won a prestigious award, but the lyrics were horrible and cliche, and that video in the background of a bunch of kid's running around didn't do a thing for me, that would have been a good spot to have the giddy up dancers maybe. About the only thing I got out of what I saw is that I don't consider myself country anymore and probably should stay away from those listings, but i did see a Randy Travis listing,is he folk now? But on a positive note I did hear a lot of 70's style rock guitar licks, so maybe country is moving towards 70's rock and roll, just waiting for the vocals and lyrics to catch up.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

feaker66
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 3332
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:58 am
Gender: Male
Location: Channing Michigan
Contact:

Re: Academy of Country Music Awards

Post by feaker66 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:27 am

I stopped in just long enough to here Taylor sing and that did it for me.

How did kid Rock ever break into country anyway?

paul
Thankfully, while growing old is compulsory, growing up remains optional!

https://soundcloud.com/feaker66

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=883613

User avatar
cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 2815
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:43 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Academy of Country Music Awards

Post by cardell » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:51 am

Len911 wrote:I kept waiting for that high bar country that I keep getting rejected for in my returns...
:lol:

Good point, I've been wondering what country music the screeners have been listening to recently. :roll:

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

billg1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician
Posts: 957
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:07 am
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Academy of Country Music Awards

Post by billg1 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:28 am

Len911 wrote:Does Reba host all the award shows?lol. Sometimes I can't tell if I'm watching a rerun or not, I realized last night was fresh because of her jokes. I used to get inspired by watching award shows. I have to admit though I got bored and only made it through a little over half I think. It was pretty obvious they didn't sell enough commercials because cbs kept advertising the same tv shows over and over, maybe that was part of my boredom. I was kinda hoping cher was gonna sing, she would have fit right in with this new country. I think new country is probably an eighties term, I don't know what the new country is, disney country? At least the taylor swift chariot in the sky ride lends itself to that theme, or broadway country with that giddy up and giddy out little dance number,lol. I kept waiting for that high bar country that I keep getting rejected for in my returns, and was hoping that Lady Antebelum's live song might be it after they had already won a prestigious award, but the lyrics were horrible and cliche, and that video in the background of a bunch of kid's running around didn't do a thing for me, that would have been a good spot to have the giddy up dancers maybe. About the only thing I got out of what I saw is that I don't consider myself country anymore and probably should stay away from those listings, but i did see a Randy Travis listing,is he folk now? But on a positive note I did hear a lot of 70's style rock guitar licks, so maybe country is moving towards 70's rock and roll, just waiting for the vocals and lyrics to catch up.
I watched about 30 min or so and in the "rockin' rowdy songs" heard Honky Tonk Woman three times. Funny you mentioned 70's guitar licks, these guys owe a lot to Kieth Richards.

User avatar
mojobone
King of the World
King of the World
Posts: 11816
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 4:20 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Up in Indiana, where the tall corn grows
Contact:

Re: Academy of Country Music Awards

Post by mojobone » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:16 am

And Bob Seger, the Allman Brothers Band and The Black Crowes....
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

User avatar
marcblack30
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1976
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:49 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: Academy of Country Music Awards

Post by marcblack30 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:51 am

I tuned in and caught Rascal Flats performance, I was embarrassed for them, couldn't watch anymore.
The best part was Reba's introduction, it went somethin' like, "Here's Rascal Flats performing Toyota's theme song "Unstoppable"!!!" ;)

User avatar
rld
Committed Musician
Committed Musician
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:13 am
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Academy of Country Music Awards

Post by rld » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:40 pm

marcblack30 wrote:I tuned in and caught Rascal Flats performance, I was embarrassed for them, couldn't watch anymore.
The best part was Reba's introduction, it went somethin' like, "Here's Rascal Flats performing Toyota's theme song "Unstoppable"!!!" ;)
Did you notice the singer got lost for a bit in the b section?
I hate it when that happens. Been there, done that. :D

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests