Anyone Get 'Red Light Syndrom'?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

User avatar
Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 2:05 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Irvine, CA
Contact:

Anyone Get 'Red Light Syndrom'?

Post by Razor7Music » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:57 pm

I typically practice so many times before I record, then then record so many passes, then comp my takes, I make up for any "issues". I think it goes back to my analog tape days where re-recording over and over could add hiss.

What do you do?

FYI - https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... 20Syndrome
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

User avatar
markismusic
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:21 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Anyone Get 'Red Light Syndrom'?

Post by markismusic » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:23 pm

Hey,
From my perspective, it seems like you just need to get out of your own way in this case.
If i can play a guitar part perfect and keep making bad mistakes when recording, it helps to remember that the purpose of me recording is to capture a performance. To do that, you need to turn off all the other thoughts in your mind and put all that energy into playing with passion. An instrument is supposed to be an extension of your mind and if your mind is cluttered, so will your playing IMO..

Hope that helps!
Razor7Music wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:57 pm
I typically practice so many times before I record, then then record so many passes, then comp my takes, I make up for any "issues". I think it goes back to my analog tape days where re-recording over and over could add hiss.

What do you do?

FYI - https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... 20Syndrome

User avatar
ResonantTone
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:32 am
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Anyone Get 'Red Light Syndrom'?

Post by ResonantTone » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:59 pm

I'll agree with Mark and add some of my own thoughts in regards to this.

Make sure that when you hit record, you are NOT focused on the DAW, levels, or any other technical aspect. Intentionally put all your focus on your instrument and keep it there. I have to make sure I'm not even looking at my computer screen when recording at times and just look at my instrument... it helps quite a bit!

If I'm really frustrated, I take a break and come back in 15 minutes or so. That usually helps clear my head of frustration and gives me a chance to get a fresh take.

If it's really bad, I just simplify the riff or lick and make it easy enough to nail on the first couple tries. Sometimes countless takes to nail something magnificent isn't worth the time it takes when you could simplify it and get something quickly. Efficiency needs to be paramount!

Hope that helps some!

Andrew

User avatar
Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 2:05 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Irvine, CA
Contact:

Re: Anyone Get 'Red Light Syndrom'?

Post by Razor7Music » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:14 am

markismusic wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:23 pm
you need to turn off all the other thoughts in your mind and put all that energy into playing with passion.




FYI - https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... 20Syndrome

This is a great point! Thanks!
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

User avatar
Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 2:05 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Irvine, CA
Contact:

Re: Anyone Get 'Red Light Syndrom'?

Post by Razor7Music » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:18 am

ResonantTone wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:59 pm
I'll agree with Mark and add some of my own thoughts in regards to this.

Make sure that when you hit record, you are NOT focused on the DAW, levels, or any other technical aspect. Intentionally put all your focus on your instrument and keep it there. I have to make sure I'm not even looking at my computer screen when recording at times and just look at my instrument... it helps quite a bit!

If I'm really frustrated, I take a break and come back in 15 minutes or so. That usually helps clear my head of frustration and gives me a chance to get a fresh take.

If it's really bad, I just simplify the riff or lick and make it easy enough to nail on the first couple tries. Sometimes countless takes to nail something magnificent isn't worth the time it takes when you could simplify it and get something quickly. Efficiency needs to be paramount!

Hope that helps some!

Andrew
Agreed. More great points. I've had to evolve my traditionalist philosophies over the years to accept that I can always fix minor issues with the computer edit tools I have. That doesn't mean I don't practice a lot, and try hard and put my heart into my performances. It means I don't always have to catch that lightning in a bottle for a take to be worth keeping!

Thanks!
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

teleblaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:07 am
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Anyone Get 'Red Light Syndrom'?

Post by teleblaster » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:38 am

For me, chasing 'lightening in a bottle' is one of the best ways to ensure I don't achieve it. This sh*t is hard! Tracking with drum sequencers, tempo'd delays etc. leaves a really narrow pocket to drop things into. Even simple parts can be challenging in this environment, that's why AAA grade studio musicians make doctor and lawyer salaries.

YMMV, but here's what I try to do. First few takes are gonna suck, I just expect that even on a simple track. If it isn't coning together in 10min, then, It's OK at this stage of the game to use all the 'dirty' tools: pitch-correct, time shifting, comp'ing multiple takes, heavy-handed gates to remove noise etc.. The key here is to get the ideas together into a cohesive piece. If I dwell too long on one part I lose the big picture. Later on after I have the parts and arrangement in place, if I really want a part to have that extra polish, or if I just want to do it for myself, I'll take the time to learn a part end-to-end and cut it in one take. Interesting enough, at this stage of the game it's usually much easier.

HTH
Erich
http://www.ReverbNation.com/aerichgruber
http://www.taxi.com/teleblaster
http://www.SoundClick.com/Teleblaster

Quondo Omni Flunkus Morotadi! (When all else fails, play dead... )

User avatar
cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1176
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:46 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Anyone Get 'Red Light Syndrom'?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:46 am

I just draw everything in

User avatar
Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 2:05 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Irvine, CA
Contact:

Re: Anyone Get 'Red Light Syndrom'?

Post by Razor7Music » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:26 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:46 am
I just draw everything in
I think I know what you mean, but can you clarify?
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

User avatar
cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1176
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:46 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Anyone Get 'Red Light Syndrom'?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:41 pm

Razor7Music wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:26 am
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:46 am
I just draw everything in
I think I know what you mean, but can you clarify?
No recording..no red lights...just drawing notes on the screen

davidira
Active
Active
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:43 am
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Anyone Get 'Red Light Syndrom'?

Post by davidira » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:40 am

I get red light suck syndrome. Working on a track - trying me best to edit the 'suck' out of my performance. Surrendered - gonna go back and do it right. Wrong at the source - wrong everywhere else. I don't get it - simple lines that I would have no problem playing live and singing over - then when I review the recording (which I thought was OK at time of take) - it just plain sucks!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests