controllers when sequencing

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

controllers when sequencing

Post by anne » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:18 am

My keyboard has lots of knobs and sliders and transport contols. I'd like to assign them to control different midi functions, but don't know all of the midi functions that can be assigned. I've found all I can by gleaning through books but am looking for a general list, if one exists, or a book that explains this (midi control for dummies?)I have a good book on midi that explains it all, but even it didn't have a guide in the back to the different control numbers and what they do. Is there a list somewhere of the "standard" controller numbers for midi, i.e. velocity, pitch bend, transport controls etc that could be used as a guide for setting up my keyboard?TIA -

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: controllers when sequencing

Post by mazz » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:53 am

Hey Anne,Here's what I found doing a Google search:http://www.midi.org/about-midi/table3.shtmlYou'll need to figure out what controllers your keyboard defaults to and what controllers your software responds to and change them at one end or the other (software or hardware), if necessary, to meet your needs.Good luck!!Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:57 am

Anne,I think what you may hafta' do is locate the manual to your particular keyboard and thumb through that thing. Even though most of these new MIDI controllers do the same things, how you go about programming a knob or a slider will probably vary from controller to controller. I have 3 MIDI controllers, but each one has a slightly different way of being programmed. Of course the CC#s' won't change much, if at all, but how a particular keyboard is to be programmed with the CC#s will. The manual to your particular brand of keyboard should inform you of how to do this. And it should have some sort of list that spells out what knobs & sliders accept what control change messages. At least that's how my manuals spell it out. Hope I answered your question. I-468

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:31 am

Controller map should be in the manual; most manufacturers will let you download a PDF from their site.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

garrettmiller
Impressive
Impressive

Post by garrettmiller » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:01 pm

I know in Pro Tools, you can use the MIDI "learn" fuction for assigning Controller info to a particular instrument or plugin, without knowing the exact controller #. Are you using software or hardware?....Garrett

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by anne » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:39 am

I've used the midi learn functions with Logic and Stylus RMX and my Edirol keyboard. There is no controller map for the edirol as it ships "blind" except for the mod wheel.What I'm trying to do is learn what other functions exist so I can learn to take advantage of them, if needed, and decide if its best to use a slider, knob, or pad for the control of different functions. That's why I was looking for a list of some sort. Thanks for all the info - it definitely helped!

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:02 am

Hey Anne!Here's what I discovered. If ya' go to Edirol's website and look up your specific keyboard, download the "owner's manual" (it's a .pdf file) read the section how to "assign midi messages" and look up the "control change assign" section, it'll show you how to program the control change numbers to the sliders & knobs, etc.. And if you print out the "Table 3: Control Changes and Mode Changes" table on the website Mazz directed you to, you should have everything that you need to get those knobs & sliders programmed. Then it's just a matter of you sitting down and foolin' around with the keyboard and the information and learning how to program them. That's usually how it pans out. Time & experimentation are the keys. Hope this helps.I-468 PS -- Personally, I don't think it matters whether you use a slider or a knob or a pad, as long as you can get either one programmed, and it does what it's suppose ta' do when you manipulate it. You'll find that basically either one does the same thing. Programming it to do what you want is usually the more difficult part. But once you figure out how, it's just a matter of doin' it over & over until it's embedded in your memory and then it becomes second nature. PSS -- And course you already know the "Acoustic & MIDI Orchestration for the Contemporary Composer" manual has all of the control change numbers in there and what they do. Once you figure out how to program the sliders, knobs, and pads, then you can try out each control change number for different sliders, knobs & pads and see the effect they have while playing the keyboard. I usually start with the most obvious control change number, and that's the volume (CC#7). Once I got that workin' then I know I've programmed the slider, knob, or pad correctly. Then I try all of the other CC#s to see how they work. I purchased a little Oxygen 8 v2 midi controller keyboard, hadn't even installed the drivers. But right off the bat, it was controlling the volume to my EWQL plug-ins, the modulation wheel was also controlling certain aspects as well. Nice little keyboard, and very little programming, but it understands and syncs up well with a variety of programs (Reason, Native Instruments progs, Sonar,etc..). Only hit me for $99, and I really haven't even utilized it to it's fullest potential yet.

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by anne » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:24 pm

Ibanez - WOW!! Thanks - I don't know how I missed that on the Edirol site - thank you.PSS -- And course you already know the "Acoustic & MIDI Orchestration for the Contemporary Composer" manual has all of the control change numbers in there and what they do.You know this is on my BUY list...

ckbarlow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ckbarlow » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:11 am

Oct 4, 2008, 2:02pm, ibanez468 wrote:PSS -- And course you already know the "Acoustic & MIDI Orchestration for the Contemporary Composer" manual has all of the control change numbers in there and what they do. Ibz, do you prefer this book over "Guide to MIDI Orchestration"? (do you know of that one?) When I was looking for one a year ago, "Guide..." was the only thing I ran across, and the darned thing is massive and cost $75. Have barely had time to crack it.

ckbarlow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ckbarlow » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:24 am

Oct 4, 2008, 6:39am, anne wrote:What I'm trying to do is learn what other functions exist so I can learn to take advantage of them, if needed, and decide if its best to use a slider, knob, or pad for the control of different functions. That's why I was looking for a list of some sort. Pads are great as so-called momentary switches - it's ON while you're holding it and OFF when you're not (like a keyboard key, which is why they're nice for triggering samples and notes). They would also be good for resetting something to a nominal state. As a simple example, say you've assigned pan, CC# 10, to a knob; you could assign a pad to send CC# 10, value = 64 to instantly reset the track to dead center. (Not all that useful, but a simple example.)Pads are also fun to play in drum parts, in which case they're sending note ons/offs. (I typically just use the keys on my old Oxygen 8 kybd - even though I own an ancient DrumKat with 10 pads, and a set of sticks! The Oxy is so low-fuss, whereas the Kat is somewhere in the closet...)If you have the programming option (either in the Edirol or in the target software) to use a pad as a toggle - press once, it's ON, press again, it's OFF - then it could be a nice Mute or Solo button. The transport controls, you'd just use the Learn feature in your software. You don't need to know or care what CC# they employ; just make your software learn them. I have an Edirol UC-33e that I've done this with in Live (for performance) and Logic (for recording) - it's got 9 sliders, I think, and 20-something knobs, and transport buttons. Beyond the standard CC#s (1 = modulation, 7 = vol, 10 = pan, 64 = sustain, and so on) I couldn't tell you the other CC#s it sends, because with "learn" capability on the software end, it doesn't matter one iota.Also kinda depends how the keyboard and controls are laid out - what seems intuitive for you.