Custom Critique- worth it?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

EnderBender

Custom Critique- worth it?

Post by EnderBender » Tue May 05, 2020 6:21 am

Hey everyone, So I submitted 4 instrumental cues (drone/ambient/eerie) to a request, a couple of weeks ago, and they got returned.
Overall I was pretty much near what they wanted but I got the same notes on all four cues and they were things that were easy to fix/address.

There are a couple more requests for cues in this genre (due at the end of this month) and I'm pretty confident I can deliver several cues. I'm addressing the issues that were pointed out in the notes, that were given to me, but I want to make sure I'm really on the right path before the date arrives and I submit the songs.

So... The question is: are "Custom Critiques" good for this type of thing? How do I know I would get feedback from someone who really understands these particular cues?

I've seen people post some of their cues on this forum. But I'm always a little sketchy to get feedback from people I'm (in a sense) in competition with.
So, basically, what's the best way to make sure I'm on the right path and make sure I have addressed the issues that held me back last time?
Thoughts...?

Thank you!!!

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Custom Critique- worth it?

Post by cassmcentee » Tue May 05, 2020 6:55 am

Set aside your fear and ask for help
You will be pleasantly suprised
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

EnderBender

Post by EnderBender » Tue May 05, 2020 7:46 am

You're completely right. I guess I have some trust issues... :-) Asides from that, what is the overall experience with Custom Critique. Is it a good tool to help shape cues/songs into shape as deadlines approach?

If I do post something for forum feedback, where would be a good place (within the forum)?

Thank you for taking the time to reply. :-)

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Tue May 05, 2020 8:15 am

I haven't used the Custom Critique but many others have...
If you use the "search" function for Custom Critique, here in the forum, you can read honest postings from others and decide for yourself if it is the right option for you.
Many of us here upload our mixes on Soundcloud (where you can set the tune to Private) and then post them in the "Peer to Peer" section for feedback before submitting.
I have never worried about the competition nor the idea of someone copying my ideas
In this business, to be succesfull, you need to make a LOT of music and be pretty fast about it!
We are all individual, good luck to anyone trying to copy my soul! :D

Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

EnderBender

Post by EnderBender » Tue May 05, 2020 8:33 am

Thank you!!! And you're right, from the little I've navigated through the forum everyone seems straight forward and positive which is awesome. I will give posting something a go. Really like your track. Thanks again for taking the time to communicate with me.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue May 05, 2020 9:07 am

Not sure how much value you would get out a CC for a drone type cue Vs something like a song which is more involved potentially has a greater scope for actionable feedback.

I would give the peer to peer a go first. Also I've had some tension/drone stuff rejected and subsequently had the same 4 or 5 forwarded for a slightly different Listing. Never lead to a deal though as there's tons of them on the forward blog usually, so you can check out what made it through but also make note of which genres are more heavily saturated. If there's 50+ forwards each time that'll make it hard to stand out.

Mark

EnderBender

Post by EnderBender » Tue May 05, 2020 9:19 am

Thank you Mark!!! I'll give peer to peer a go.

CTWF
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CTWF » Tue May 05, 2020 2:00 pm

EnderBender wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:19 am
Thank you Mark!!! I'll give peer to peer a go.
Re the trust issue - I think I was like you a few years ago, but if you have not created an outstanding world hit, I would not worry too much. And if you have, then by simply having it on SoundCloud you could prove you were first, or not? Truth is, there is so much music out there, no one cares. :o

I got so desperate in the end, I put comments of SoundCloud bots in my forum signature, because no one else cared!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom
https://soundcloud.com/ctwf Optimizing the beat... O|°_°|O

EnderBender

Post by EnderBender » Tue May 12, 2020 5:54 am

Tom, I just saw this. Thank you soooo much for your reply. I'm about to post a cue (aimed at the "Lab Cues" request) and see what kind of feedback I get. Thanks again!!!

CTWF
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CTWF » Tue May 12, 2020 3:39 pm

EnderBender wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 5:54 am
Tom, I just saw this. Thank you soooo much for your reply. I'm about to post a cue (aimed at the "Lab Cues" request) and see what kind of feedback I get. Thanks again!!!
On a more serious note, I did get a custom critique some time ago. Back then, it was not super useful for me, because I suffered from major production issues (as in: even worse than now :) ) and I think I expected more on the production side while the comments of the screener were leaning more towards the marketability side of the song. But of course, that is much more what TAXI is about: How marketable is your music?

Tom
https://soundcloud.com/ctwf Optimizing the beat... O|°_°|O