Dont want to be Versatile but...

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Post Reply
quietextrovert
Active
Active
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:11 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Dont want to be Versatile but...

Post by quietextrovert » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:50 am

Hello all:I have heard (rather adamantly) that being versatile is a no-no . What do you recommend one should put on a Demo CD if they have a diverse mix of songs? In my case, being new, I only have (5) contemporary Christian, (3) AA Rock, (1) country, and a couple of instrumentals that I would consider worthy. Would you make a different CD for each genre?Thanks for readingStevie B (there are so many Steve's here I thought I might try to distinguish myself with Stevie B)

User avatar
davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 4172
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:57 am
Location: Cape Girardeau, Missouri
Contact:

Re: Dont want to be Versatile but...

Post by davewalton » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:06 am

Oct 6, 2008, 7:50am, quietextrovert wrote:Hello all:I have heard (rather adamantly) that being versatile is a no-no . Maybe if you're doing it all (five different genres) in one song... that's a no-no. Quote:What do you recommend one should put on a Demo CD if they have a diverse mix of songs? In my case, being new, I only have (5) contemporary Christian, (3) AA Rock, (1) country, and a couple of instrumentals that I would consider worthy. Would you make a different CD for each genre?If I were looking for an "artist" deal or maybe "songwriter" deal then I'd definitely focus my demo CD to my core strength. "Hey! I'm a Country singer AND a Hip Hop rapper!" probably wouldn't attract much serious attention from the record labels. For film/tv stuff (like maybe targeting music libraries and such), having a demo CD of music that's "ready to license" is the way to go I think. I don't think it matters too much if a CD is only one genre or several. Mine is several and Matto's excellent demo CD always showcases a wide variety of his music. HTH,Dave

User avatar
anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1543
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:45 am
Gender: Female
Location: New Mexico
Contact:

Re: Dont want to be Versatile but...

Post by anne » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:09 am

I would separate them, however when you have a mentor session or put them in a box for a panel, you can tell them which songs you want them to play, so your "versatality" won't be as apparent unless someone were to listen to the entire cd.

quietextrovert
Active
Active
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:11 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Dont want to be Versatile but...

Post by quietextrovert » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:06 am

Thanks Dave and Anne:Hmmm different genres in one song, its crazy, but crazy enough it might just work . Thanks again.

User avatar
coachdebra
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1059
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:02 pm
Gender: Female
Location: The Jersey Shore
Contact:

Re: Dont want to be Versatile but...

Post by coachdebra » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:46 am

I recommending pursuing a niche narrow and deep before you switch to a different niche. This may be an unpopular opinion - but I recommend you pick the genre you think is your ABSOLUTE BEST WORK - and focus on selling that. When that is really working for you, then expand to a different area. Trying to do it all can really dissipate your energy and you don't end up really being successful in any of it.Think of it as serial monogamy Debra

User avatar
davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 4172
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:57 am
Location: Cape Girardeau, Missouri
Contact:

Re: Dont want to be Versatile but...

Post by davewalton » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:54 am

Oct 6, 2008, 2:46pm, coachdebra wrote:I recommending pursuing a niche narrow and deep before you switch to a different niche. This may be an unpopular opinion - but I recommend you pick the genre you think is your ABSOLUTE BEST WORK - and focus on selling that. When that is really working for you, then expand to a different area. Trying to do it all can really dissipate your energy and you don't end up really being successful in any of it.Think of it as serial monogamy DebraYou forgot to say "Thank you... that'll be $50". Yours is the best advice... which is probably why you do what you do. As I think about it... My demo CD now basically has three genres... orchestral, electronica and ethnic but I sure didn't have three to start with (didn't even have one good genre ). Matto, who has been doing all this a lot longer, his demo CD's have had a wide variety of genre's... all excellent and reflecting his wider and longer experience. So, to Steve B, the answer is... what Debra said. Thank you... that'll be $50.

quietextrovert
Active
Active
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:11 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Don't want to be Versatile but...

Post by quietextrovert » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:12 pm

Thanks Debra (I'll give Dave the $50).I am still trying to find my forte, and thankfully everyone here is willing to help with great advise. I'm looking forward to a time when I can give back. I know I'll find my niche, but I am after all ONLY a guitar player ....serial monogamy? Did we ever date?

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 3168
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:52 am
Gender: Male
Location: Nashville
Contact:

Re: Dont want to be Versatile but...

Post by tedsingingfox » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:35 pm

SERIAL monogamy?OH, brother. All these years I though the phrase was "CEREAL monogomy"...You know....when you go on a Captain Crunch binge for a week (or until you finish the box) and then you switch over to Lucky Charms for the next week before you finally make the change to Honey Nut Cheerios, purely out of guilt for eating so much crap for the last two weeks, for the next month...Good to know.
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

User avatar
coachdebra
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1059
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:02 pm
Gender: Female
Location: The Jersey Shore
Contact:

Re: Dont want to be Versatile but...

Post by coachdebra » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:27 pm

Quote:Thanks Debra (I'll give Dave the $50).That's cool - I'm a big believer in Karma - what goes around comes around Quote:You know....when you go on a Captain Crunch binge for a week (or until you finish the box) and then you switch over to Lucky Charms for the next week ...LOL - All that sugar - Oh, it explains so much, Ted...

User avatar
kg
Committed Musician
Committed Musician
Posts: 627
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 4:06 am
Gender: Female
Location: Poughkeepsie
Contact:

Re: Dont want to be Versatile but...

Post by kg » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:59 am

Oct 6, 2008, 4:35pm, tedsingingfox wrote:SERIAL monogamy?OH, brother. All these years I though the phrase was "CEREAL monogomy"...You know....when you go on a Captain Crunch binge for a week (or until you finish the box) and then you switch over to Lucky Charms for the next week before you finally make the change to Honey Nut Cheerios, purely out of guilt for eating so much crap for the last two weeks, for the next month...Good to know. No, Ted, it means Cap'n Crunch forever

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests