Drop Of Hope

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

billman

Drop Of Hope

Post by billman » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:37 am

I would greatly appreciate some feedback on the song, "Drop of Hope" please.Production comments (Does it sound professional? or local?)Lyrical comments (Are they too vague? Do they tell a story you can clearly understand?)Genre (who does this sound like?)Any and all feedback would be sincerely appreciated. Positive or Negativehttp://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.php?artist=billmanDrop of HopeAngel’s staring at the sidewalkBorrowed suitcase in each handPassing faces read her T-shirt"I’m doing the best I can"Tear-stained cheeks in the sunlightA better world’s not far awaySo take a deep breath of sunshineAnd a life to fit the nameShe seems to be going somewhere(Never eat their words of wisdom)Her destiny is uncertain and she’llDrink each drop of hope that’s givenAngel’s floating up the sidewalkWith a new dream in her headA Saturday far awayWhere she can start it all againShe seems to be going somewhere(Never eat their words of wisdom)Her destiny is uncertain and she’llDrink each drop of hope that’s givenAngel’s staring at her sidewalkWith a T-shirt in her handWaves to all passing facesShe’s been doing the best she canShe seems to be going somewhere(Never eat their words of wisdom)Her destiny is uncertain and she’llDrink each drop of hope that’s given© 1999 - Music & Lyrics by Steven Rosas, Bill Hunter, Phil Wilson & Chuck Williams www.TexasRockBand.com

marcblack30
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Drop Of Hope

Post by marcblack30 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:55 am

After a couple of listens, this tune really grew on me.Melody and production wise makes me think of the Meat Puppets. I dig the hook. Love the vocals and harmonies! Don't know what your intentions are for this but seems like it would be good for film and TV.Nice tune!Marc
-- Marc Blackwell

billman

Post by billman » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:49 am

Mar 10, 2009, 1:55pm, marcblack30 wrote:After a couple of listens, this tune really grew on me.Melody and production wise makes me think of the Meat Puppets. I dig the hook. Love the vocals and harmonies! Don't know what your intentions are for this but seems like it would be good for film and TV.Nice tune!MarcFilm and TV certainly is what we're interested in. I really appreciate the comemnts Marc.thanks!-- billman

orest
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by orest » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:44 am

Man, I got some Tom Petty and Sweet home Alabama vibes from this tune! I thought the vocals and guitars sounded really good. But the drums sounded a bit midi. Are the panned, or are the in the middle? I would pan the drums more like a drum kit and add some more reverb. The drums are a bit dry in comparison to the rest. I really liked it! Is it Americana pop or what do you call this genre?

billman

Post by billman » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:16 am

Mar 12, 2009, 9:44am, orest wrote:Man, I got some Tom Petty and Sweet home Alabama vibes from this tune! Really? hmm... I never thought of thoseMar 12, 2009, 9:44am, orest wrote:I really liked it! Is it Americana pop or what do you call this genre? Americana Pop - i guess that's a valid genre description. We've also been catagorized as Power Pop too, but I like Americana Pop better.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:33 am

BillWhat's your goal with the track? I'd like to comment within that context. I do hear a lot of "Sweet Home Alabama"-- definitely... Casey

heckxx
Impressive
Impressive

Post by heckxx » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:42 am

I think the production could be better, although all of the instruments are clear and easily audible. Some of the guitars sound one-dimensional to me, maybe they're not eq'ed or recorded quite right.Genre-wise, I think reminds me of Collective Soul and Train. Definitely has a sort of dated vibe to it, but it still has some modern elements in it.Although I wasn't paying attention too much to the lyrics, maybe that's a sign that they're aren't too memorable. The melodies in the vocals are definitely good, but yeah, I don't seem to remember any specific phrases or words after listening to the song. Hope this helps! -Jeff

k o star
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by k o star » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:54 pm

I personally love the "let ring" guitar riff at the beginning & certain parts of the track... the melody is cool yea.-K
Keltrasonics Kellosphere & KO Quantum Leap =D

©2012, K. O. STAR (Kelvin) APRA- All Songs & Artwork Registered & Protected.
http://www.kostar8.com

partyofone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by partyofone » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:43 am

Hey Billman,Nice clean mix there and catchy song with some traces on Train. I'd say this would work for film/tv listings.Production - Sounds broadcast quality to me, all the instruments sound nice and clean... professional, but not quite up to the level of some the big mixers. Everything has space in the mix and I think I'm just wanting a more up front sound which may just need some compression. Mastering might help get it there if not already done. Lyrics aren't too vague and I can definitely follow the story here. I like the Saturday line.Genre I'd say is adult alternative or AAA. I'm not great with genres though.Nice work!

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by billg » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:35 am

I think the mix sounds fine . . . maybe the vox could be a little more out front. When the track first started I got a kinda of Tom Petty (Last Dance With May Jane) vibe, but after getting into it it reminds me a lot of Train. If I were you guys I'd listen to & concentrate on what makes the song sound like Train. Unless it's a specific listing for something "retro" The Tom Petty vibe will get you a "not current enough" critique everytime . . . believe me I know!