Guitar recommendation

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

avillaronga
Impressive
Impressive

Guitar recommendation

Post by avillaronga » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:01 pm

Hello all,For those of you who play guitar, what are your recommendations for an electric with a tremolo bar? I currently play a Gibson Les Paul and I have begun to miss the tremolo bar so I'm considering another one. I used to play a Strat until about 6 years ago so naturally my first inclination was to go with that but I'd be interested to hear what others play. Price range of under $1000 would be ideal...Thanks!Antonio

christig
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Guitar recommendation

Post by christig » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:13 pm

Hi Antonio:I have several guitars. Of course it depends to some degree what type of music you want to play. I always play the guitar unplugged first and determine whether or not I like the neck. For me it must feel the way I need it to first on this level. Then I plug it in and determine the electronic sound. As you are probably aware there are single coil and double coil (humbucker) pickups. There are a multitude of pickup sounds and combinations of configurations depending on the wiring. Of course these react somewhat with the wood (the body) they are mounted in.Whether or not the neck is solid with the body or bolted on can make a difference in sound and feel as well.Another consideration re: the tremolo is what style of trem you want. Again, this is somewhat of a feel issue, but some stay in tune better than others and some are a real bear to change strings out which can be a big consideration if you're using it for live applications as well.And of course it depends on what you play it through. Some guitars can sound fantastic through some amps and not so hot through others. If you have a particular amp you'll be playing through i'd bring it along so you can play through it.You'll find many guitars to buy in your price range. But if you take your time one will choose you. Christi

davekershaw
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davekershaw » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:13 pm

Quote:i say to go a local guitar center or other guitar shop and wank away!Is this another of those words that hasa different meaning outside the UK?

silvercord
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by silvercord » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:52 pm

Hey Dave...sorry..i forgot the Limese use of 'wank':Pwhen i worked at guitar center ( yup! i was there and bought everything i wanted at a discount....and then quit! muaha)we had a name for the cats that came in, picked up a guitar...and played and played and played and picked their nose and playedand played... ("wanker"....all you american cats know what im talkin' about right?) i was even accused of it when i was caught playing and droolingover the then-new gretsch tennessee rose( http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/p ... 274295.jpg )droooooooool........GEOFF stop wanking! you have a customer that is holding a gun andasking "where the heck is that damn long-haired hippie" and "just waitto see what will happen to you for stealing my daughter!"er...what was i supposed to be talking about?

davekershaw
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davekershaw » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:42 am

Quote:GEOFF stop wanking! you have a customer.The image that conjures up! You made my day Geoff!I can't stop laughing!!

davekershaw
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davekershaw » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:46 am

Oct 2, 2008, 3:40am, devin wrote:If you did a little more English-style wanking, maybe you wouldn't have been in trouble with that guy's daughter in the first place... Aww, stop it fellas, I'm cryin' here!

liamkelly
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by liamkelly » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:52 am

Oh boy, talk about laughing! Gee whiz!

avillaronga
Impressive
Impressive

Post by avillaronga » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:26 am

Oct 2, 2008, 3:42am, clanmorgan wrote:As others have stated here you can get alot of guitar for under $1000. I just love the Ibanez products and have been a big fan for a number of years. My JEM rarely goes out of tune even with crazy trem-bar antics. I usually stop in to the local music stores and play with a lot of different axes just to see which ones feel most comfortable and stay in tune. Its amazing how many options you have with necks... some people prefer wider and some slimmer... depends on your style I suppose. But for me the Ibanez have a great feel, the nut is wide, action is fast, and the neck is thin. Best of luck and be sure to tell us all !!- Mic Hey Mic,That's funny that you mentioned Ibanez, I was wondering if anyone would. I have read in many forums and online music shop ratings that the quality of Ibanez has declined so I had decided to stay away from them (also to stay away from non-American made Fenders). So it's interesting to hear that there are people who still swear by Ibanez. I've only owned two types of electric guitars in my life: several Strats growing up and my Les Paul for the past 6 years or so. The only other guitar I've ever played was an Ibanez that was owned by one of my bandmates years ago and I loved it, that's why when started looking again I went to check out the Ibanez and that's how I found the negative reviews. I did go to Guitar Center two nights ago and tried the Schecter C1 that Geoff recommended (when he wasn't wanking ). Sweet guitar, nice action; the neck was a little thinner than I'm used to but I liked it overall. They didn't have a Spider amp on the floor so I couldn't try it with the amp that I have to see how it sounds but I tried it on a Marshall and boy did it sound good... too many options. But that's the beauty of this: before I asked here I would have never considered a Schecter...Thank you all. I'll let you know when I decide on something (at this rate it may be next year after I've tried every guitar with a trem bar... I guess that would make me a wanker?)

davekershaw
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davekershaw » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:41 am

Quote:... after I've tried every guitar with a trem bar... I guess that would make me a wanker?)Not a thing you want to be known as in the UK Antonio! I'm so glad I logged on today!!As far as the original question;I waited 30 years to finally get a US Deluxe Strat.Only then after a fella ran into the back of my car,and I got compensation for whiplash!Can't speak for the other guitars, but I love that Strat!I'm sure you'll make the right decision eventually.Just keep trying them all out - it's all in the wrist action eh Geoff!

ggalen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ggalen » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:43 am

Antonio,I read a comment on Fenders saying you can buy a Fender Standard Strat made in Mexico by Mexican craftsmen, or you can buy a Fender American Strat made in Los Angeles by Mexican craftsmen. My 2004 Mexican Strat stays in tune perfectly ever though as you can see from my video improvisation below I am constantly working the whammy bar for the fast "warble" that is part of my style.I honestly sometimes don't tune it for a couple of days of this, and it will be within a few cents of tune. It's been a great guitar for me. And was just $489.