Home Before Midnight (Could This Be a Hit?)

Want your lyics reviewed? Post 'em up!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

irwin
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Home Before Midnight (Could This Be a Hit?)

Post by irwin » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:18 pm

CTWF wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:35 am
Hi Irwin - it's me again! :) :roll:

To make my point very clear: If the song went like this to Heather Rachel (or another singer) and you would tell her "just do it", then it would become a non-melodic, not commercially usable idiosyncratic piece, because I can hear no melody whatsoever in it. Sorry to have to be so clear about this.
Point taken Tom, so I beg you please not to be "sorry" for making it clear to me because I don't want to be fooling myself. Feel free to tell me as it is anytime and all times.
CTWF wrote:

So, I am absolutely dead serious: Take your beat (without your vocals) and put in an instrument that plays the topline and post it again here. I am sure experienced members will then be happy to tell you how strong the melody is and how well it fits into any given genre. Then you can improve the melody step by step.
I like this. Another good idea.
CTWF wrote:

Creating good songs is very hard. Keep working at it! :)
I do respect what you wrote/said above here but in my own little mind I would say sometimes.

I cherish this opportunity to be guided by you.

Irwin

irwin
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by irwin » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:00 pm

CTWF wrote:

So, I am absolutely dead serious: Take your beat (without your vocals) and put in an instrument that plays the topline and post it again here.

Creating good songs is very hard. Keep working at it! :)
Tom
Hi Tom - it's me again!,

I have done exactly as you said now respectfully, I just would like for you to have a listen and to tell me what you think. Is the song sounding better?

Here is the new link: https://soundcloud.com/user-148093629/h ... e-midnight

I do hope you'll like it.

Irwin
Last edited by irwin on Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irwin
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by irwin » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:13 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:20 am

I think the beat you have is okay to get started but you need to figure out the chords so you can work out the melody properly.
Hi Mark,
I have worked on the chords and melody for my song and I am respectfully asking to please have a listen.

This is the link: https://soundcloud.com/user-148093629/h ... e-midnight

I would like to hear your thoughts, it is better sounding?.

Irwin

CTWF
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CTWF » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:41 am

irwin wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:00 pm
Hi Tom - it's me again!,

I have done exactly as you said now respectfully, I just would like for you to have a listen and to tell me what you think. Is the song sounding better?

Here is the new link: https://soundcloud.com/user-148093629/h ... e-midnight

I do hope you'll like it.

Irwin
Hi Irwin

It is great that you went along and extracted the essence of your song. It is an extremely important starting point.

However, and man, this is hard for me to write, especially to someone who, like you, has been on this forum for over 14 years: I have to say that I do not hear a song here. There is no real melody. What I hear sounds very random. Unconnected. Often not even in line with the percussive rest of the track.

A melody is a single line of notes that is recognizable and appeals to the human pattern- and symmetry-recognizing mind. People are able to repeat it to you after you played it to them, because their brains recognized it as a pattern, as a thing (of beauty, hopefully). I find no such thing in your track. I would not be able to repeat a single bar. At the moment, I have the song playing on a repeat loop. I can never tell where I am. I do not even recognize the end or the start of the track! It sounds like a random collection of notes to me. Thus it is the exact opposite of a melody.

I am not sure what to recommend. For instance, a collaboration would only benefit you, if you did it with someone who is able to create strong melodies. A singer or producer who themselves has no feel for melody either would be of no use in your case.

As always, I hope other people will let you know what they think because, after all, I am not exactly successful with my own music. So, what do I know, really!?! :) Maybe someone else has an idea what you could do to improve your songwriting craft.

All the best!
Tom
https://soundcloud.com/ctwf Optimizing the beat... O|°_°|O

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:55 am

irwin wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:13 pm

I would like to hear your thoughts, it is better sounding?.
HI Irwin

No I'm sorry but I agree with Tom. It sounds dreadful, like something a young child would make on their first toy keyboard.

I would stick to writing lyrics for others until you've taken some actual music lessons. You can't write songs without some basic grasp of how chords and melody work, and you can't write production music with next to no production skills.

irwin
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by irwin » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:37 pm

CTWF wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:41 am

I have to say that I do not hear a song here. There is no real melody
Hi Tom, I have been working hard trying to do better than the last recording (New arrangement). So I have given it one last try, and is asking to please give me one more listen. This is my new recording. Isn't it better sounding now?.

https://soundcloud.com/irwin-abrigo/hom ... midnight-1

irwin
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by irwin » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:46 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:55 am

You can't write songs without some basic grasp of how chords and melody work, and you can't write production music with next to no production skills.
New recording and arrangements. I know you've been to the length with me on this song. Please I am asking to give me one last listen. Isn't it better sounding now.

CTWF
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CTWF » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:34 am

irwin wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:37 pm
Hi Tom, I have been working hard trying to do better than the last recording (New arrangement). So I have given it one last try, and is asking to please give me one more listen. This is my new recording. Isn't it better sounding now?.

Hi Irwin

At least until 1:00, I hear only one tone in the topline. I don't think that qualifies as a melody.

From 1:00, there seems to be more than one tone in the topline, but it seems to clash with the underlying instrumental. For instance, the tone at which "night" is sung sounds totally out of tune with the rest of the track.

Overall, the track sounds a little like a Gregorian chant performed by a robot that was laid over an otherwise totally unconnected trop-pop beat. I am not sure I know any genre like that. Maybe if you posted a track that you are striving to sound similar to, that would help us all. :) Put differently: Have you ever heard a commercially successful song that sounded anything like yours?

I think the beat sounds more structured in this version, but it does not come together with the vocal. I do not hear a song in the topline yet, sorry. I think the best would be to develop a single line of notes that is a maximum of 4 to 8 bars long, catchy and memorable, and use that as the core of the topline.

Tom
Last edited by CTWF on Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CTWF
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CTWF » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:47 am

Irwin

Here is a very simple, unfinished instrumental track I have been working on recently (just for fun, no TAXI listing). It is by no means perfect or even commercially useable. Also, I have had no commercial success with music yet, so what do I know! :lol:

BUT: Listen to the piano that plays the topline in this piece. It is a simple, memorable line of notes. A melody. Listen to how the bass plays these notes, too, only much deeper and in a different order, duration etc. But they are in harmony (so I believe) and don't clash.

https://soundcloud.com/ctwf/ritmo-de-la ... 4sbhBoyaQ3

Tom
Last edited by CTWF on Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:56 pm

CTWF wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:34 am
Overall, the track sounds a little like a Gregorian chant performed by a robot that was laid over an otherwise totally unconnected trop-pop beat.
Genius !