I have music in 26 TV series.

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

bmete
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: I have music in 26 TV series.

Post by bmete » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:42 pm

Congrats! Well Deserved!

TerrellBurt
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by TerrellBurt » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:20 pm

Congrats! Would love to read a blog about your journey.

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:06 pm

TerrellBurt wrote:Congrats! Would love to read a blog about your journey.
I guess the story comes down to whether I thought my music sucked or not....

For a while, I had been submitting music through different venues. I was always working on something here and there for the music libraries. But I was not getting any traction. Submissions would be rejected for reasons that I thought were valid. But something in me, maybe stubbornness or craziness, decided that those rejections were useless. I just got addicted to making music and feeling great about my creations.

I didn't have a real plan or strategy other than to flood every music library I could contact with submissions. I went through a combination of cold-emailing and cold-calling companies that would give me the time of day. About 90% of the companies never responded or stated that they were not taking submissions. Fair enough. So about 7% of the companies that let me submit found that they didn't have uses for the product I was making. Okay, I get. But 3% of the companies I submitted to gave me a shot. Once I had my foot in the door, I flooded these libraries with music. 10-20 cues a month, not including edits. So I start to see a few placements after a year. The money isn't huge, but it is money from my music. Hell yeah!

What kept me going was finding out that there were places that searched for simple but catchy music for background placements. I didn't and still don't have the chops to be an orchestrator like guys making music for multimillion dollar blockbusters. That seems like far too much work for a random guy like me anyway.

But understanding that the need for music was increasing due to the monstrous increase in cable reality TV shows allowed me to get busy. The demand was there. This work was not going to go unfilled. So what really was stopping me from getting my slice or ten of the pie? Fear? Rejection? A lack of ability? No formal training? Pssst. Those things are for people that care too much. I wanted to be free to fail and not even bother with it.

Over time, the only regret became was what the heck would I do five years later if I ended up quitting? I was still going to be doing whatever it was I was doing. But I knew that quitting would allow me to just become a normal person with unfulfilled dreams and a longing for something that I had the chance to accomplish.

I honestly cannot say that I regret making any cue that I produced. Do I have terrible cues? Well does a desert have sand? Big deal. Put the "terrible cues"'in the marketplace and let them decide. If they go nowhere after a while, okay. You just keep making more and more and more and more music. You continue to send your music out there. You almost forget how bad you once were when you begin to build a catalog and have it in the marketplace generate a shekel here and there.

The glory is for those that do, not those that think. I guess the story comes down to whether I thought my music sucked or not. I got over the thinking part and started doing. Action brings satisfaction. Winning beats whining. And desire inspires us all to be the best we can be with what we have at that moment in time.

As of now, I have music in over 150 TV series. Check out my music link below to see my credits.

pike
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pike » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:22 pm

Congrats DI! Keep up the great work!

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:58 pm

pike wrote:Congrats DI! Keep up the great work!
Thank you.

1107proLLC
Impressive
Impressive

Post by 1107proLLC » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:10 pm

Wow! When I started reading this thread you were at 25 TV shows which is impressive. And now you're in 150!!! Congrats, you should be very proud! We just started submitting to taxi listings consistently back in September, I hope to join the ranks of you and the other successful taxi members one of these days!! Thanks for sharing your story.

N8
Nate "Coco" Maskeri
1107 Productions LLC (Mitch Music)
https://soundcloud.com/mitchmusicco
http://www.mitchmusic.co

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:59 pm

I just rejoined Taxi last week. :-)

My goal now is to increase the sync fee money I get. I just got a forward for listing U171221P, so I am 1 for 1 this year!

As of today, I have music in 263 TV series and 5 non series.

funsongs
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by funsongs » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:42 pm

Based on the 2012 date-stamp of your original post... the 5-year plan model seems to be working just about right. :? :shock: :)
Congrats!
Peter Rahill
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://taxi.com/peterrahill
“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:41 pm

Nice! Congrats!

LOCK88
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by LOCK88 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:40 am

Great thread DI. Congrats on all your successes!
Robb Smith / LOCK-88
Songwriter | Producer
Laguna Beach, Ca
http://www.Lock88Music.com