Looking for songwriters, lyricists to collab and learn from

Find people to work with!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Post Reply
User avatar
Anton
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:19 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Looking for songwriters, lyricists to collab and learn from

Post by Anton » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:23 am

Hi everyone!
My name is Anton (you can call me Anthony), I joined Taxi, not so long ago, and now finally made it to the Forums. Most of my music is Instrumental and goes to the Film/TV area, but, for some reason, I always wanted to write songs in English, which is not my first language.

I've picked a few songs that I wrote on my own and collected feedbacks from some friends, musicians, and professionals (including Taxi screeners). Based on that, I have some potential, mostly with the melody, and I would love to find some experienced songwriters, lyricists to collab with, improve my skills and chat about music in general. Together is always better!

You can listen to some of my stuff here:
https://soundcloud.com/adannmusic/sets/songs/s-1WtS1
Lyrics are in the track's description *

More on these songs:
"If You Stay" ended up being filled with lyrical cliches when I tried to write a typical pop song. I agree with one of the screeners that with a bit of change in structure, and new lyrics by experienced lyricist, it has a chance to become a great pop song. Also, I made some embarrassing language mistakes, without even noticing it))

I like "Vibe" in general. Anyway, most of the pro-listeners told me that melody could be more engaging, and the vocal performance more charismatic, instead of annoying. And again, I agree with that. But, unfortunately, I'm stuck with this particular melody, and can't figure out something new so far.

"Cold Sweater" is my personal favorite and received the most positive responses. However, almost every feedback was suggesting to rework the structure (cut verses, for example), and add more contrast between sections to make the song more marketable. It makes sense.

I believe any of these songs could hit some listings, with a proper work on them. I would be happy to create something from a scratch or collab on your materials as well.

Feel free to share your thoughts. I'm open for advice. If you would like to collab or just chat, please email me: adannmusic@gmail.com.
Thanks in advance! Have a nice day!

User avatar
lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1387
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:53 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Tasmania Australia
Contact:

Re: Looking for songwriters, lyricists to collab and learn from

Post by lesmac » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:25 pm

I like "If You Stay" the best Anton. I think the second verse should be played on the guitar the same as the first verse, first verse is great!!
I think the chorus needs to be much stronger lyrically and maybe musically?

Is that your vocal?

Lester

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro
Posts: 5275
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:13 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Peculiar, MO
Contact:

Re: Looking for songwriters, lyricists to collab and learn from

Post by Len911 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:03 pm

your vocal is great!

the lyrics imo stray from the title/theme and become buried in esoteric abstraction. for example, "cold sweater", there is a lot of lyric that has nothing to do with a sweater at all, there are no "threads" that lead to sweater. If You Stay, the third chorus is better because it gets to the theme quicker and the other lyrics connect better with the theme. The title should be much more than a byline, it is what everything must be connected to, if it doesn't, it doesn't belong in the song. sometimes asking yourself, who, what when how and why will help. if you stay, what? why should you stay? why a cold sweater?
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

User avatar
funsongs
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 4913
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:18 am
Gender: Male
Location: So Cal
Contact:

Re: Looking for songwriters, lyricists to collab and learn from

Post by funsongs » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:07 pm

Great vocals for Pop - to these Old-Guy ears.
I wouldn't hesitate to be a bit repetitive - like for If You Stay...
to add that as a Refrain/Hook at the end of your Chorus tie it back to the song's title (maybe something like this...?)

Only you can drive me far away from cold reality,
And keep me warm like the sun on a summer day,
If you stay, I promise, I will break the gravity,
‘Cause you’re the one, if you stay
I would take to fly away... fly away
If you stay, stay, stay
If you stay...


I've not tried to write much Pop - but wouldn't mind trying to learn & help you at the same time;
posting up ideas on Peer-To-Peer is a good way to hone your craft, and meet some of the community here
that might be more inclined to literally, and musically - speak your language.

Hope that helps - welcome to the Community Forums.
Peter Rahill
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://taxi.com/peterrahill
“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

User avatar
Anton
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:19 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Looking for songwriters, lyricists to collab and learn from

Post by Anton » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:33 pm

Sorry guys, I forgot to mention this is not my vocal. I wish I could sing like that, but I'm not a singer at all)) I've collaborated with an online recording studio to make these recordings based on my demos and try out the materials.
Len911 wrote: the lyrics imo stray from the title/theme and become buried in esoteric abstraction. for example, "cold sweater", there is a lot of lyric that has nothing to do with a sweater at all, there are no "threads" that lead to sweater. If You Stay, the third chorus is better because it gets to the theme quicker and the other lyrics connect better with the theme. The title should be much more than a byline, it is what everything must be connected to, if it doesn't, it doesn't belong in the song. sometimes asking yourself, who, what when how and why will help. if you stay, what? why should you stay? why a cold sweater?
Ok, I see what you mean. I find this kind of stuff in my Lyrics pretty often. Great advice, really helpful! Thanks!
lesmac wrote:I like "If You Stay" the best Anton. I think the second verse should be played on the guitar the same as the first verse, first verse is great!!
I think the chorus needs to be much stronger lyrically and maybe musically?

Is that your vocal?

Lester
Hi Lester,
Like I said, unfortunately, the vocal is not mine)
Thank you, I'm glad you liked If You Stay.
About the Chorus, yes, I think so too. Do you have any thoughts?
funsongs wrote: I wouldn't hesitate to be a bit repetitive - like for If You Stay...
to add that as a Refrain/Hook at the end of your Chorus tie it back to the song's title (maybe something like this...?)

Only you can drive me far away from cold reality,
And keep me warm like the sun on a summer day,
If you stay, I promise, I will break the gravity,
‘Cause you’re the one, if you stay
I would take to fly away... fly away
If you stay, stay, stay
If you stay...
Yeah, I like it a lot! Nice idea to play around.
funsongs wrote:
I've not tried to write much Pop - but wouldn't mind trying to learn & help you at the same time;
posting up ideas on Peer-To-Peer is a good way to hone your craft, and meet some of the community here
that might be more inclined to literally, and musically - speak your language.

Hope that helps - welcome to the Community Forums.
That would be awesome! I'm open to it.
Thanks!

User avatar
funsongs
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 4913
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:18 am
Gender: Male
Location: So Cal
Contact:

Re: Looking for songwriters, lyricists to collab and learn from

Post by funsongs » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:23 am

No worries, Anthony - keep it at it, and post up the results as you craft your songs.
Cheers.
Peter Rahill
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://taxi.com/peterrahill
“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest