Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

PeterD
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Location: Formerly Somerset/Swansea, MA ... Currently, San Jose, CA

Re: lullabye listing

Post by PeterD » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:29 pm

Wenda!!!

My friend from Bawstin!! ;) Forgive me for not seeing this earlier, but I just saw it now. REALLY nice!!! Twinkly and free with a little Asian twist in there. Interesting and not what I was expecting (not in a bad way AT ALL, but in a not-easily-predictable way).

I saw Matt's notes, and though the cluster isn't terrible, it does draw attention to itself. I'm hoping the screener will be yawning around that part and miss it ... ;)

I hate it when all the good suggestions come in AFTER you've sent it. UGH!!!!

In any event, here's to a great melody and your name on the compilation CD!!
:mrgreen:
If I log off, I may never be able to get back on ;)

Peter D'Angelo

http://www.taxi.com/peterd
https://soundcloud.com/moanakeiki

pedrocosta
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by pedrocosta » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:54 am

Hi Wen,

I think you already knew the answer. Most of the front end is too busy. After 1:10 there is a nice balance.
The harp is so beautiful don't be afraid to let is stand on it's own. My other thought is that for a lullaby there should a distinctive simple melody.
I'm thinking the harp could go well with a lower register instrument playing a simple long noted melody. Like a cello.
Pedro Costa
Image Image Image

LittleRedChurch
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LittleRedChurch » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:32 am

Man this is pretty.

At first I thought you might be missing some lower register- like Pedro suggested, but maybe if its for wee little ones, stay up high. I know its too late but I kinda agree that at times there may be one too melodies taking place. SO hard to know when to stop, isn't it. Still, its lush and beautiful. I says ya got a real fighting chance.

Says I

Good luck
Graham

wen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by wen » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:42 pm

Donno if anyone is still following this, but, I did another pass at simplifying the tune, and -- not sure if this is allowed, but I did it anyway -- I re-submitted it with a different name. So it would be interesting if one gets a forward and the other not.

On my to do list: Learn how to EQ, and find decent solo string sounds. I'm not impressed with String Session Pro in Komplete Ultimate 8.

Thanks very much for all the comments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wendawilliamson.com

pedrocosta
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by pedrocosta » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:44 pm

Nothing wrong with doing that.
You can also replace the original track if need be. The only catch there is that you risk doing it after it has already been screened.
Sometimes they start screening submissions before the deadline.
Best of luck with it Wen :)
Pedro Costa
Image Image Image

Salty
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Salty » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:25 pm

Wen-

Its a nice track, well done :)

I like LASS personally- you can use the first chair from the sections for solo stuff.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:15 pm

wen wrote:Donno if anyone is still following this, but, I did another pass at simplifying the tune, and -- not sure if this is allowed, but I did it anyway -- I re-submitted it with a different name. So it would be interesting if one gets a forward and the other not.

On my to do list: Learn how to EQ, and find decent solo string sounds. I'm not impressed with String Session Pro in Komplete Ultimate 8.

Thanks very much for all the comments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hey Wen, long time no talk!

nice piece. nothing I can say bout it that hasn't been touched on above except don't be afraid to pan stuff out just a little wider to make things a little clearer.

Good luck with it!

one thing on the strings:

I agree with Salty, LASS (full version) has solo chairs, and its flexible with all its special programming and scripting and the divisi sections. I like using it. Since version 2.0 came out they have included a lot of typical "sounds" like Batman style mix, or Shawshank Redemption, or Barbers Adagio type mix. its also $1,000.

the Solo strings from Vienna Symphonic are decent, well recorded and such, but also dry so you have to add your own ambience. You can actually buy download packages of just the solo strings if you want them, with a few articulations or a lot of articulations.

I agree that the Session Strings pro don't give you anything like that cause they are all sections, but they have their own strengths I think, and the animator has some cool different sounds. Last year I used the Motown strings from that for a sort of retro pop number for a singers album and they came out well, and fit great with the live horns we had.

wen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by wen » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:16 am

Hey Pedro, yeh I guess I could have just replaced the track and saved $5, huh! I always thought the submission somehow linked the track and didn't want to risk linking to air if that makes any sense.

Salty and Andy - thanks for the tip on LASS. I know many people have brought up LASS, and EWQL also. The strings question is confusing when there seem to be new products coming out all the time, like 8Dio or whatever. I simply haven't had time to check out all the various demos and whatnot. I know Alexander Orest is thrilled with the Action Strings in Komplete Ultimate 9 and Cinematic Samples 2 is good right out of the box, but I don't know if they have solo strings. Since I understand doing a solo string part is just about the hardest to make sound realistic, I've shied away from it.

AND SO ON! LOL

Oh, Andy, something kinda funny; I sent "Little Bird" into two listings. The first return said, "Strong vocal performance with great emotion, unfortunately the style of song is not right for the listing". The other return said, "This would have been a perfect song for this listing, but the vocal performance needs to be improved in tone, pitch, and rhythm." HAHAHHAHAHAHA. Sob!

Another thing on my "list" is to find someone who would collaborate with me as a singer.

cheers!
wendawilliamson.com

wen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by wen » Mon May 20, 2013 5:49 pm

OK, I'm processing this feedback from listener 109 on the "Lullabye" -- This was what I sent in ....https://soundcloud.com/wendawilliamson -- "harp lullabye for a child"

This was the feedback:

Y130425CH: "I feel that your samples could be helped if you could find something a little more convincing for the guitar. Better to have real instruments for this type of listing. or at least the lead instrument."

Dangit! There's no guitar in this at all, it's all harp. yes, electric harp... but -- a REAL harp. And some glockenspiel/celeste samples as I recall.

What am I supposed to make of this, constructively? Does the harp sound bad / fake or just not what someone expects ....?

I really thought this was going to go through. But, I'm here to learn, so... Learn me :)
wendawilliamson.com

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Mon May 20, 2013 6:06 pm

there is a danger anytime you record an "acoustic" instrument through a "pickup" of any kind.

here are the usual suspects:

A nylon or steel string acoustic guitar recorded through the Piezo pickup located under the bridge saddles.

It usually sounds unusually bright on the attack, there is usually an unusually powerful bass response. There is also a distinct lack of the resonant "wood" sound of the actual instrument. And a total lack of "air" in the recording - as you would expect cause even a close mic situation is going to introduce the slightest amount of room sound (tight reverb).

violins and such recorded through a pickup usually sound terrible as well except if you want to sound like 70's era Jean Luc Ponty.

So to a screener in a hurry - the harp recorded through the direct (pickup) can sound like a nylon string acoustic guitar recorded direct.

the Answer: always record with a mic. that is a problem with your harp, cause it doesn't have a big resonant body like a true acoustic harp.

You didn't see what I did to your harp on "You make me smile" but I had a transient designer on it to try and reduce the supernatural attack of it. That was the only thing I could do to get it going in my ear.