Need help interpreting a review

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

User avatar
roguenoisemachine
Active
Active
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:30 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Nashville, TN
Contact:

Need help interpreting a review

Post by roguenoisemachine » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:08 am

Hi all,

I usually have a "yep, you're right" feeling when I get a return, but in this case I was really surprised! I would love some help figuring out what the track is lacking and what I can do to improve it. Is it just too indie chill? Any thoughts would be appreciated! Here's the listing:

PUBLIC DOMAIN CHRISTMAS SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed by a Film/TV Music Publisher for several $2,500 - $5,000 placements in a Christmas Special on a Major Cable Network!

Contemporary recordings, recently recorded/Retro-sounding recordings, AND legitimate Vintage recordings are all fair game for this request! They’re simply looking for great Songs in All Tempos that fit the general stylistic ballpark and range of acts and Songs like:

“O Holy Night” by Celine Dion

"The First Noel” by Josh Groban ft. Faith Hill

"Silent Night” by Bing Crosby

Songs should be in one of the following genres:
• Adult Contemporary
• Singer/Songwriter
• Operatic
• Classical Crossover/Easy Listening
• Jazz
• Old School, Classic Soul/R&B

Please submit Covers of Public Domain Christmas Songs that will resonate emotionally with listeners getting into the Holiday Spirit! Your production styles can vary, but the Client is mainly interested in hearing Songs with more organic instrumentation, NOT Songs that are particularly Pop-driven or trendy-sounding.

TAXI Tip: Please stick to the original melodies and lyrics of the Songs you choose to cover so that they are familiar to listeners. If you stray from the original melodies, your Covers may not be as appealing or usable.


[highlight]I pitched my version of Joy To The World, which can be found on my hosting page - https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... isemachine[/highlight]

Here's the feedback: "Your song didn't showcase a strong enough emotion, vibe, or hook appeal. Adding more character and distinctiveness to your arrangement and style would stand out more."

Thanks!

User avatar
cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 2944
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:40 am
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Need help interpreting a review

Post by cassmcentee » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:51 am

Very pretty rendition!

From my ears...
The guitar intro is nice but didn't set the Christmas mood
I bet you could start with you vocal dry and let the acoustic in afterwards (just a thought)

Your vocal is not in the same "room" (reverb/effects) as the instruments so it feels too affected and doesn't give the listener the full emotive.
Sounds like you sang it very well, let the listener hear it as if you were whispering it into their ear. (another thought)
Some easy enough tweaks...

Just my interpretation of the Screener's thoughts...
The tune is very nice!
Cass

User avatar
roguenoisemachine
Active
Active
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:30 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Nashville, TN
Contact:

Re: Need help interpreting a review

Post by roguenoisemachine » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:20 am

cassmcentee wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:51 am
Very pretty rendition!

From my ears...
The guitar intro is nice but didn't set the Christmas mood
I bet you could start with you vocal dry and let the acoustic in afterwards (just a thought)

Your vocal is not in the same "room" (reverb/effects) as the instruments so it feels too affected and doesn't give the listener the full emotive.
Sounds like you sang it very well, let the listener hear it as if you were whispering it into their ear. (another thought)
Some easy enough tweaks...

Just my interpretation of the Screener's thoughts...
The tune is very nice!
Cass
Thank you Cass, those are all great points I'll be taking into a rework. I appreciate you taking the time!

Ted
Active
Active
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:32 am
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Need help interpreting a review

Post by Ted » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:47 pm

Maybe for whatever reason, the screener can't picture some aspect of the song fitting into the context of the specific TV show stylistically-- but this is a really nice arrangement/performance. It's a bummer that this one got a return because I really like it.

User avatar
roguenoisemachine
Active
Active
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:30 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Nashville, TN
Contact:

Re: Need help interpreting a review

Post by roguenoisemachine » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:38 am

Ted wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:47 pm
Maybe for whatever reason, the screener can't picture some aspect of the song fitting into the context of the specific TV show stylistically-- but this is a really nice arrangement/performance. It's a bummer that this one got a return because I really like it.
Thanks, Ted! I was also wondering if it maybe didn't fit the brief. Thanks for the kind words. No worries, I can rework and keep pitching :)

Take care

User avatar
cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1176
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:46 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Need help interpreting a review

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:11 pm

Well the song was way better than I expected after reading the review. I honestly don't hear a lot wrong with it. Nicely produced, good vocals, broadcast quality mix.

I could use it being a bit more Christmassy ...I don't actually know the song and I wouldn't guess it was a Christmas track until around the 40s mark when the bell type sounds come in, so I could use something straight off the bat to clue me in ...sleigh bells anyone ? ( don't shoot me ) ...bells in right away maybe ? ..a brass part of some sort as a bit of a hook .

My overall impression is it's quite etheral and floaty so it would be good as background music in a scene, perhaps the screener was looking for something that is more engaging and direct.

Mark

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:12 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Need help interpreting a review

Post by MBantle » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:23 am

I really like the track and have a general preference for Xmas songs/instrumentals that are less 'cliche'/on the nose. But I think in this case the client was looking for something that instantly checks all those boxes that we heard a zillion times... I really hope your track will find a home soon.
All the best.
Cheers,
Matt

User avatar
roguenoisemachine
Active
Active
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:30 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Nashville, TN
Contact:

Re: Need help interpreting a review

Post by roguenoisemachine » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:14 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:11 pm
Well the song was way better than I expected after reading the review. I honestly don't hear a lot wrong with it. Nicely produced, good vocals, broadcast quality mix.

I could use it being a bit more Christmassy ...I don't actually know the song and I wouldn't guess it was a Christmas track until around the 40s mark when the bell type sounds come in, so I could use something straight off the bat to clue me in ...sleigh bells anyone ? ( don't shoot me ) ...bells in right away maybe ? ..a brass part of some sort as a bit of a hook .

My overall impression is it's quite etheral and floaty so it would be good as background music in a scene, perhaps the screener was looking for something that is more engaging and direct.

Mark
Thank you very much! I don't blame you, sleigh bells or tubular bells are pretty much what makes a track Christmassy :) I think I'll try being a little more obvious about it. Thanks for all the helpful thoughts!

User avatar
roguenoisemachine
Active
Active
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:30 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Nashville, TN
Contact:

Re: Need help interpreting a review

Post by roguenoisemachine » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:15 pm

MBantle wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:23 am
I really like the track and have a general preference for Xmas songs/instrumentals that are less 'cliche'/on the nose. But I think in this case the client was looking for something that instantly checks all those boxes that we heard a zillion times... I really hope your track will find a home soon.
All the best.
Cheers,
Matt
Thanks Matt, much appreciated. I think you're right and this probably didn't fit the bill. I'll keep pitching it, thanks for the encouragement!

ricschmitz
Active
Active
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri May 31, 2019 4:59 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Dallas, Texas
Contact:

Re: Need help interpreting a review

Post by ricschmitz » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:22 pm

Returned ?
I think this version is excellent. Great production.
Handel would approve it.


Ricardo

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests