New 20 song Instrumental Deal

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

JohnnyP
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:20 am
Gender: Male
Location: Nashville area
Contact:

Re: New 20 song Instrumental Deal

Post by JohnnyP » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:23 pm

songmaster wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:19 am
Congrats John! It sounds like you won't be bored in lock down :) Nice going!

Tom
Hey Thanks Tom! Yes that’s a fact.. boredom is not in the equation. The hard part is going to be keeping the minor chords out😂. Wild times my friend, hope you’re doing well
John Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

JohnnyP
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:20 am
Gender: Male
Location: Nashville area
Contact:

Re: New 20 song Instrumental Deal

Post by JohnnyP » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:28 pm

funsongs wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:15 am
Like a ball of wet snow, down a big, steep hill - :? - momentum like that... you're on a serious roll, Man.
Great report, and maybe the timing couldn't have been much better; eh?
Cheers.
Thanks Steve and yeah Peter! A big wet snowball on a roll😂 Now to put a positive spin on that snowball .. that’s going to be the test. Got 2 done in the last 3 days so I’m feeling optimistic! Stay well!
John Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

User avatar
CTWF
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1376
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:02 am
Gender: Male
Location: Nowitzki's place of birth
Contact:

Re: New 20 song Instrumental Deal

Post by CTWF » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:53 pm

Wow, I just can't imagine how you can do it - it takes me so long to do ONE single track! :? :roll:

Congrats! :)

Tom
https://soundcloud.com/ctwf My sh1t is straight FIRE! d;-o

JohnnyP
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:20 am
Gender: Male
Location: Nashville area
Contact:

Re: New 20 song Instrumental Deal

Post by JohnnyP » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:40 pm

CTWF wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:53 pm
Wow, I just can't imagine how you can do it - it takes me so long to do ONE single track! :? :roll:

Congrats! :)

Tom
Hi Tom,
I do use templates so it makes it a whole lot easier. But for me the thing is always putting down melodies and phrases in my v memos. That way I have plenty of ideas to work from when the email comes in.
I must have thousands of v memo ideas and most suck! but the ones I label w exclamation points are the ones I go back to and flesh out. About 8 times out of 10 they're solid! Then it's just a matter of using a capo to change keys, and then change up the tempo so each one sounds unique.
Honestly, after doing a 13 vocal song collection for my first deal this feels pretty doable!! 😀

Take care and stay well! Best, John
John Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

JohnnyP
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:20 am
Gender: Male
Location: Nashville area
Contact:

Re: New 20 song Instrumental Deal

Post by JohnnyP » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:17 pm

CTWF wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:53 pm
Wow, I just can't imagine how you can do it - it takes me so long to do ONE single track! :? :roll:

Congrats! :)

Tom
One more thought Tom.
The way that works best for me is to;

1) take my v memo ideas and lay them down in Logic. I start w a scratch acoustic, whistle the melody w a shaker loop to keep me honest.
2) then I add diff virtual instruments from my template (strings, piano, glockenspiel etc)
3) then add either Logic drummer or EZ drummer or an 808 kit to set the groove.
4) only then do I add bass (hard to do being a bass player😂).
5) then I move on to the next one
6) after finishing a bunch I listen back to the group of recent cues and make notes in a DIFFERENT environment. I sit in my truck in a different place to listen, not my driveway to put some space between myself and the arrangement/mix.
7) then I go back and make sure mic placement is right , tuning is perfect and start on them as a batch to finish them off.

That seems to be the workflow that works best for me. Hope it helps! Best, John
John Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

User avatar
CTWF
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1376
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:02 am
Gender: Male
Location: Nowitzki's place of birth
Contact:

Re: New 20 song Instrumental Deal

Post by CTWF » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:32 am

JohnnyP wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:17 pm
Hope it helps! Best, John
Yes, it is always good to see other people's workflow!

Thanks, Tom
https://soundcloud.com/ctwf My sh1t is straight FIRE! d;-o

User avatar
cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1638
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:46 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: New 20 song Instrumental Deal

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:59 pm

Well it's ideal timing and it sounds like you have a solid methodology. I've done 12 in short period for me ( 6 weeks ) and to be honest I was running out of ideas on the last couple :roll:

Good Luck !

JohnnyP
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:20 am
Gender: Male
Location: Nashville area
Contact:

Re: New 20 song Instrumental Deal

Post by JohnnyP » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:07 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:59 pm
Well it's ideal timing and it sounds like you have a solid methodology. I've done 12 in short period for me ( 6 weeks ) and to be honest I was running out of ideas on the last couple :roll:

Good Luck !
I appreciate that. These collections w deadlines certainly motivate us to be creative! Thanks for the good wishes. Best, John
John Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

DannyWeber
Committed Musician
Committed Musician
Posts: 924
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:48 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: New 20 song Instrumental Deal

Post by DannyWeber » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:54 pm

JohnnyP wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:39 pm
I hope all are well and coping with this situation as best we can!!

I just found out what I'll be doing in quarantine for the next month.... A couple days ago I submitted 6 uptempo, acoustic based, positive, pop instrumentals (that have been forwarded numerous times but no response) to a TAXI friendly library w international distribution that already has some of my sports rock cues. The library wants to sign them and asked me to do a 20 song collection. Yikes! Been going through all of my v memos searching and thank God I happened to have 21 pretty interesting ideas!

Now it's time to put meat on the bones lol!

If I don't talk to any of you for the next 30 you know where I am! Best, John
A very skilled and talented, hard WORKING Composer with a can-do attitude.. that library is going to get more than they bargained for!

Way to go John!

Dan
https://www.taxi.com/members/danweber

Go your own way! Out of necessity, drive, gumption, whatever.. don't let anyone tell you you can't!
It's not what goes into your music that's important, it's what comes out the speakers

JohnnyP
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:20 am
Gender: Male
Location: Nashville area
Contact:

Re: New 20 song Instrumental Deal

Post by JohnnyP » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:56 pm

DannyWeber wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:54 pm
JohnnyP wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:39 pm
I hope all are well and coping with this situation as best we can!!

I just found out what I'll be doing in quarantine for the next month.... A couple days ago I submitted 6 uptempo, acoustic based, positive, pop instrumentals (that have been forwarded numerous times but no response) to a TAXI friendly library w international distribution that already has some of my sports rock cues. The library wants to sign them and asked me to do a 20 song collection. Yikes! Been going through all of my v memos searching and thank God I happened to have 21 pretty interesting ideas!

Now it's time to put meat on the bones lol!

If I don't talk to any of you for the next 30 you know where I am! Best, John
A very skilled and talented, hard WORKING Composer with a can-do attitude.. that library is going to get more than they bargained for!

Way to go John!

Dan
Thank you Dan! Very kind of you to say. I've got 14 out of 20 done now and I feel like I'm in the home stretch! They still have to be refined and mastered but they're close. Templates are saving my bacon!! Best, John
John Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests