Not contemporary

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

lazywallofficial

Not contemporary

Post by lazywallofficial » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:25 am

Hi guys,
I'm looking for some advices
All my submissions so far have been returned for the same reason: Not contemporary sound
What does it mean? i know its a hard question but how do you do it when you produce your songs? any tips?

thanks in advance

songmaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Not contemporary

Post by songmaster » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:00 am

Hi Contemporary means, the music that is playing today on radio, film and tv. Example Justin Bieber as compared to David Cassidy.Or Ed Sheeran as compared to Elliot Smith. The best way to make your music contemporary is to listen to what is playing today. Another trick is to actually use the same chord structure and rhythm of a contemporary artist when you write your song, but make up a completely different melody and lyrics. It's like using training wheels on a bicycle. Anyway, I hope that helps.

Tom

lazywallofficial

Post by lazywallofficial » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:56 am

thanks Tom
i always try to pick up ideas from modern songs that play on radio & charts. even for mixing & mastering, i always compare it to other songs in the same genre that are modern.
maybe i'm using too much guitars, and guitars are not trending anymore.
after all, they say rock is dead :p

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:24 am

If you posted a few examples for us to hear, we might be able to offer better / more thorough advice. Hard to tell what's not contemporary about your music in particular, without hearing it.

~~Matt

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:52 am

Nothing wrong with trying to be contemporary, definitely more opps. But there is also a need for retro sounding material and material that captures the vibe of a certain era. In my experience sounding authentic is the most important factor. If you can sound authentic and contemporary that's fantastic, but all hope is not lost if you sound authentic in a non-contemporay aesthetic.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:00 am

I would say it's usually a combination of things....

Your age is probably the biggest one, it's easier to make contemporary music when you're young and listening to new music constantly. As we age we tend to lose that and stick to what we liked when our musical tastes were being formed. I think the only way to break that is listen constantly to the music of today, learn to enjoy it and let it seep into your conciousness.

As things evolve new sound palettes, rhythmic patterns and come to the fore. Genres influence other genres ( i.e. does anyone know what Pop music is in 2020 ?? ) and they merge and shift and get pushed in new directions. Also the tools we use have a big influence. Techniques like side-chaining are much easier to do now in a DAW than back in the day. There's a lot more ear candy and production FX is modern music.

If you are writing songs , the language changes. We don't write about the same things now, and the way it's delivered has changed. I've noticed a lot of contemporary vocal delivery is much more more held back than 20-30+ yrs ago. It could well be influenced by us having equipment with much lower noise floors, we don't need loud signals to get above the hiss now. But as a result these vocal can sound much more personal.

But yeah..post up some returns and the listings if possible.

Mark

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Post by SubRivers » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:18 pm

Think age especially when it is combined with that common resistance of knowing "what real music is".

Have to flush any thinking like that first

lazywallofficial

Post by lazywallofficial » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:07 am

thank you for all your replies. here's one of the song i submitted. It was for the listing of last week looking for a dark/contemporary song in the like of "Hurt" by Johnny Cash. Any idea of how it can be made more contemporary?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4icLNC6dDc

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:26 am

lazywallofficial wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:07 am
thank you for all your replies. here's one of the song i submitted. It was for the listing of last week looking for a dark/contemporary song in the like of "Hurt" by Johnny Cash. Any idea of how it can be made more contemporary?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4icLNC6dDc
Strings are kinda stiff. synthetic and "midi" sounding - Use a better Library and play it with more expression

Guitar part screams 80s to me

Drums have a 90s garage band type sound

lazywallofficial

Post by lazywallofficial » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:46 am

you're right
i guess i'm too old and all the music i heard in the 80s is affecting my inspiration :p
there are no music producers where i live, so i've been DIY'ing for years.
well i suppose i should stop submitting for all contemporary listings then and wait for a more classic sound request
thanks again for all your advises