On Choosing A DAW

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Pvgeldrop
Impressive
Impressive

Re: On Choosing A DAW

Post by Pvgeldrop » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:36 am

Len911 wrote:I always thought Arpege's Pizzicato was the best notation software plus for the money and other features. For one thing, you don't have to use the built in sounds, you can use any standalone instrument that accepts midi in. My soundcard is limited to a single asio stereo, so I can only use 1 stand alone vi, like SampleTank, but I can have as many instruments there as st will allow, and just match the midi channels in Pizzicato and ST for the instrument track. I haven't kept up with the other programs after I bought Pizzicato, so I'm not sure if any have caught up.
Sibelius does allow the use of other VIs, so that's not really a problem. However, I don't have much use for extremely heavy VIs while I'm rummaging around in the composing-stage. Not to mention that I don't want to spend time aligning all the different keyswitches when using EW Play libraries; I'll take care of that after the composing is done.
Paul van Geldrop

Soundcloud: www.soundcloud.com/paulvangeldrop
Twitter: @OhIsDatZo

Lipskimusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Lipskimusic » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:43 am

Pvgeldrop wrote:Personally, I'm not a big fan of MIDI-editing in most DAW's, especially when composing. I use Sibelius to notate and arrange my orchestral parts (most of the time including the keyswitches for my VIs as well), then export that to a DAW for further VI improvement, manual editing, mixing and mastering. With a dedicated notation-program, I find composing a lot less hassle than in a DAW. The builtin sample library of SIbelius may not be that amazing, but as it does respond to dynamics, technique notations et cetera, it's a lot easier to get to that final arrangement.
Hi Paul!

I was thinking of doing the same. That is very interesting! I always end up with printing a lot of scores out of Logic when composing for orchestra just to keep track of what I am doing :) and it is a bit of a mess. I need to see the notes I am writing and the 'piano roll' has its limitations when things get more complex.

Kind regards
Matt

Pvgeldrop
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Pvgeldrop » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:20 pm

Hi Matt,

For more simple stuff, the pianoroll works fine, but I've gotten into the habit of notating almost everything. Especially when having to make corrections, extending stuff; it's just so much easier to edit in Sibelius, export to the existing DAW-project and make the finishing touches there. :-) I highly recommend it, even if it takes some getting used to. ;-) If you want to know more, drop me a PM!

Paul
Paul van Geldrop

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Cruciform » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:03 pm

Tunesmith wrote:I was wondering what you all use for a Windows PC system and what type monitors for the PC? (Not audio monitors)
I'm running an i7 4790 on a gaming motherboard, because it has a ton of USBs ports onboard. 32gb ram. Rarely hit the ceiling so haven't felt the need for more yet.
Still on Windows 7 because it's so stable. I don't upgrade the OS until absolutely necessary. I have an SSD for boot and some programs. Two HDDs for sample libraries, projects, audio files, etc.
And another SSD which has larger sample libraries on it.

I use an internal Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium HD for 98% of what I do. The other 2% is recording guitars through a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6.

Monitors, I have 3 but mostly only use 2. I think they're 27", 26" and the rarely used one is a 23 or 24. Usually use the third one when I've got some footage to work with.

One thing which is really useful to me is a Logitech G13 gamepad. All the keys are programmable so I've set it up with macros for heaps of commonly used key commands. It has a little thumb joystick which I've set for scrolling and zooming. Big time saver!

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:04 pm

Thank you Bob O. Very informative!

Best,

Linda C

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonnybutter » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:14 pm

yes I did work for Dt T's which was lots of fun..I know all about their software if you ever have a question..I did all the trade shows and contract work with Casio, Roland, Commodore basically demonstrating our software with their products..

That is awesome, Linda! I never used Dr T's stuff but my friend did so I do remember. So many ways to skin a cat... Before I used the Atari ST, I actually sequenced on a Korg M1. It was tedious, but it worked.

You will enjoy sequencing on a modern computer, I think. But these new OSs aren't as 'instant' as the old non-unix ones (like System 8 on the mac).

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:28 am

Before I used the Atari ST, I actually sequenced on a Korg M1. It was tedious, but it worked.
I was a whiz on the Roland W-30..and i sold the Ensoniq ESQ-1 ( worked in music retail as well of and on) All those keyboard sequencers were pretty tedious I must say! And the hardware based sequencers as well...I had MIDI workshops in my home and taught folks how to use ti all...

It was fun!

Linda C

Pvgeldrop
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Pvgeldrop » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:50 am

Tunesmith wrote: I was wondering what you all use for a Windows PC system and what type monitors for the PC? (Not audio monitors)
Hey Linda,

Missed this question earlier. To answer your question:

I use a Intel i5-3470 (quadcore), 16 GB RAM, 64 bits, running Windows 7 (to this day, still my favourite stable and light Windows version). There is no other software on this machine (apart from a browser and Openoffice). I have a few SATA-disks for slow storage, but my most frequently used sample libraries, my notation/DAW/FX software, etc, are all stored on SSD-drives. At present, I have a single 22" monitor, but am intending to add another one later this year. Especially with more complex pieces, it's nice to be able to have a main screen for tracks, and a separate one for transport, faders, et cetera. I use an ESI Maya 44XTe audiocard. I also intend to add a Behringer USB mixing panel later this year, as I can see the need for more thorough mixing in the upcoming future, and there's only so much one can do with a mouse.
I record 99% of my stuff with VI's, which makes it a bit easier to keep latency-issues out of the way.

Hope this gives a little insight!

Paul
Paul van Geldrop

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:35 pm

Dear Paul,

Yes that is very helpful..I did some research on what you mentioned..would Windows 7 Aero Blue Lite Edition be good to use? And by Vi's do you mean virtual interface? I've been using a Roland workstation DAW for a long time, so this is all new to me..tho i do program and work with Windows based PC's/(Win 8.1 right now). Switching to the PC DAW world for my audio recording is a little dawnting! I mean even things like plugging guitars and mics into what in order to track, etc...the Roland you just plug into it..
I'm feeling a little archaic!

Thank you!

Linda

Pvgeldrop
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Pvgeldrop » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:47 pm

Tunesmith wrote:Dear Paul,

Yes that is very helpful..I did some research on what you mentioned..would Windows 7 Aero Blue Lite Edition be good to use? And by Vi's do you mean virtual interface? I've been using a Roland workstation DAW for a long time, so this is all new to me..tho i do program and work with Windows based PC's/(Win 8.1 right now). Switching to the PC DAW world for my audio recording is a little dawnting! I mean even things like plugging guitars and mics into what in order to track, etc...the Roland you just plug into it..
I'm feeling a little archaic!

Thank you!

Linda
Hello Linda,

I use Windows 7 Home edition, not sure what version you're referring to, but check out the different versions online, paying particular attention to matters such as maximum RAM, etc.

By VI I mean Virtual Instruments, such as East West Pianos Platinum or Gypsy. I record most of my stuff with sample libraries, though I have some mics, guitars and basses.
Setting up a studio-PC can be tricky, and your choices heavily depend on how and what you record. I know that there are places who can advice on this and even build your new machine for you; perhaps that's worth looking into? Can save a lot of time and frustration! That time could be better spent on writing music. :-)

Paul
Paul van Geldrop