On line stopwatch for lyrics?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

byllsong
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

On line stopwatch for lyrics?

Post by byllsong » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:03 pm

Hi ya'llI've been revising lots of lyrics and some of them are longer that I need them. Is there an online stopwatch that I can download, that can run with my lyric page?I would like to be able to press start and sings my lyrics while watching the clock.I hope I explained that enough to indicate to you what I mean.Thanks, Billy
Billy

allends
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: On line stopwatch for lyrics?

Post by allends » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:12 pm

Apr 26, 2008, 5:03pm, byllsong wrote:Hi ya'llI've been revising lots of lyrics and some of them are longer that I need them. Is there an online stopwatch that I can download, that can run with my lyric page?I would like to be able to press start and sings my lyrics while watching the clock.I hope I explained that enough to indicate to you what I mean.Thanks, BillyHow about this one, Billy:http://www.online-stopwatch.com/

milfus
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by milfus » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:27 pm

well arent you handy, haha, *book mark*
in the time of trumpets and guitars, there was an oboe

milfus
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by milfus » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:39 pm

if you are mathematicly inclined theres a formula for finding the time your lyrics should take, and one to find the tempo you just sang in, without having to mess with a metronome, (never liked the things, even tho i do practice with em) but here is the formulas:if you are 4/4 which im assuming, then every bar is 4 beatstime/beats = bps (beats per second)so inverseslytime = bps * beatswhich is like, thanks, i knew thatbut then, if you have written to a target bpm, say 120and you have 8 lines that are 1 bar eachthen its 8 x 4 (4 beats per bar) which is 32 beatsnow take 60 (seconds in a minute)divide 60/120 (our beats per minute)you see the beats per second is .5 (you can use a calculator for all this)so 32(our beats for our lyrics) multiplied by .5 (out tempo in bps) equals 16 secondshope i didnt lose ya, some times i ramblenow the other thing, Is how to find the bpm you just sang it in, its called shooting the metronome, where youd match beats and stuff, but that always was too much work for me, Id watch the beginning time, and then the section end time, and count the bars, saves me from fiddling with a bunch of metrone knobsso, this would be, after you timed yourself singingtake the time and divide it by your bars (you know allready, cause you wrote them) so lets say it took you 20 seconds to sing your 8 barsfor 4/4 time, theres 4 beats in a bar, if you are using diff timing like 6/8 or something, then you would use the appropriate modifierso 8 times 4 beats, is 32 beats if you remembernow take 20(seconds) and divide it by 32 (beats in your lyric) which is .625 (beats per second)then you just take 60 (seconds in a minute) and divide it by the beats per second .625 and you have the bpm you just sang in, incase you liked the timing, and want to accompany it just like that, instead of vice versaso as a recapfind out your beats per bar (time signature, 4/4, 6/8, 3/4)then multiple your beats per bar by the length of your lyrics (by section or just sum total, remember, if theres a 4 bar instrumental between them, count that too, silence is still there)then to find how long it will take:divide your bpms by 60 to get beats per secondthen multiply your beats per second by the total number of beats in your lyric and you will have the timeto find the bpm you just sang in:time yourself singingdivide that time by your total beats to get your beats per second then divide 60 by your beats per second and you will have your tempo in beats per minuteI am a real numbers guy, from engineering, so this way has always been my preffered method, cause you dont have to worry about timing and stuff if its not your peice, you just listen for the beginning and end, and are free to do other stuff in the mean time, figured it might help someone

milfus
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by milfus » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:19 am

20 seconds is 96 bpm's must have deleted the line

byllsong
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by byllsong » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:40 am

Thanks guysI found several others on the Internet...I'll check out a couple and see.Billy
Billy