Do I really need ProTools?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Do I really need ProTools?

Post by davewalton » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:56 am

Oct 1, 2008, 12:53pm, billg wrote:you don't need to use ProTools, you just need to use the tools do have like a pro.I see a new line of t-shirts...

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:23 am

I've used Cubase, Logic, Protools and played a bit with Nuendo, however lately I've been using Garageband way more than my Protools LE. In fact, the last 4 or 5 forwards I've gotten have all been done on Garageband.So in answer to your question; "Do I need Protools"? Not really, but there's no harm in learning how to use it.

flood
Impressive
Impressive

Post by flood » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:14 pm

One other thought.While I am blessed (or cursed, depending on your perspective), with having grown with Pro Tools over a 20 plus year career, it is certainly not necessary in YOUR studio.It may well be necessary for you to learn it if your career takes you into other people's rooms, particularly pro studios for hire where you may end up doing the engineering and computer piloting yourself.It IS the industry standard at most commercial facilities, and knowing how to use it and what it is capable of can't hurt. Especially if you or your client is paying $150/hour for the privilege of using it.Some versions of Pro Tools are incredibly inexpensive, if this is the case, or even a remote possibility.For those purposes, it is very good to know the limitations and capabilities of Pro Tools.If it is unlikely you will ever work in someone else's room, I wouldn't put money toward it. I'd rather spend that money on new synths or especially instruments, pre-amps or mic's.Two cents

prez
Impressive
Impressive

Post by prez » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:40 am

Oct 1, 2008, 12:53pm, billg wrote:you don't need to use ProTools, you just need to use the tools you do have like a pro.This folks sums it up rather nicely.And not only do I see T-shirts, I'm seeing bumper stickers also. Jude 2
Truth Music - Music You Can Live To
http://www.4Six3Sound.com
prez@4six3sound.com
Twitter: 4Six3_Sound

spaceeagle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by spaceeagle » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:30 am

You dont need Pro tools but it is the shiz, my wepon of choice is cubase some studios got this too from the days of an atari computer being used for the MIDI for syths ,some say its still better than pro tools for this

regulator
Active
Active

Post by regulator » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:15 am

noyou're overanalyzing this

stick
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by stick » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:28 am

Oct 1, 2008, 12:41pm, davewalton wrote:Of the other composer guys/gals that I can think of (here on the forum at least), I don't know of any that use ProTools. A couple guys like Stick and Andre do but they also have "studio services" where they're doing studio work for other people. For doing film/tv stuff as a composer, any of the top packages would do the job. Not using ProTools doesn't seem to be slowing Mazz or Matto down any. Did I hear my name? Just to throw a wrench in the thread... check out ProTools 8. The MIDI side of things is taking a HUGE step up. While I've used a more MIDI focused app alongside PT forever (Sequencer, Vision, Studio Vision, Logic), I think PT 8 will finally allow me to work only in PT all the time, even for film scoring or heavy MIDI production. I'm guessing the only thing I'll miss from Logic will be the Freeze function, but that's not too hard to get around in PT (printing to new audio tracks). What I won't miss in Logic are the bugs and instability... PT has generally been VERY stable for me. But, I think Dave's right... it's not the tools, it's the tool behind the keyboard. If you write great music in DP, you can write great music in PT or Logic or even with software on an evil PC.

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:31 am

"Do I really need ProTools?"No.

mrsunshine
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by mrsunshine » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:03 am

...what's ProTools ...
Aren't the 'good things that come to those who wait' just the leftovers from the people that got there first?