Is it possible to get a good sound with min equip?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Is it possible to get a good sound with min eq

Post by ibanez468 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:43 am

Apr 19, 2008, 7:51am, cyagi wrote:-If there was one or two areas to start focusing on, what would that/they be (e.g. mic placement, eq, compression, etc.)?Those 3 exactly. I'd focus on compression first and then eq. In most cases you'll wanna' compress before you eq. But you can also reverse it as well. Let me clarify a little better. Mic placement definitely comes first, no doubt. That will definitely have to happen prior ta' dealing with anything else in the chain, but afterwards, I meant compression should come first before eq'ing.Quote:- If you have any good books or online resources you can forward to me, that would be great.This where I purchase the majority of my reading material.http://musicbooksplus.com/home.php?osCs ... a23022This book, in particular, is one of my favorites, "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording, Second Edition". This book pretty much spelled it all out for me. This book is probably geared more towards standalone equipment, but alot of the principles still apply regardless of what you're using IMO.Quote:- Which drum software have people had the most success with?I use Addictive Drums, I just got Colossus from East West, haven't put the drums to the test just yet. I think others have EZ Drummer and BFD (I have BFD too). I still use modules as well, depending on what I'm tryin' ta' do. Hope this helps!I-468

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:59 am

Curt,I'd focus on mic placement first and foremost. Find the place where your guitar sounds best in your room and figure out how to get the mic to hear it. You might have to hire an engineer to come over and help you but once you get it dialed in, take digital photos and measurements so you can reproduce it if you have to take it down. It might not look like where the books say to place the mic but if it sounds good, then the placement is right.Then, once you have really good recordings of your guitar and voice (which are the backbone of your music), you can move on to learning more about mixing and etc. Of course, none of this happens in a straight line, you'll be learning it all as you go, but if you can get excellent recordings of your main sound, the rest will fit in around it. With the gear you mentioned and a little creative mic placement and maybe some DIY room treatments, you should be able to get a good sound.It all takes some experimenting and study, it's not gonna happen overnight but if you can enlist some help up front and learn what the engineer is doing, you can get up and running!Cheers!John
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

milfus
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by milfus » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:39 pm

yuppers, mazz knowsmic placement and room accoustics, those are the main culprits to knack
in the time of trumpets and guitars, there was an oboe

cyagi

Post by cyagi » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:53 am

This all such great advice and gives me a great starting point. Thanks everyone, I'll get to work!