good laptops for Recording??

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jmather
Impressive
Impressive

Re: good laptops for Recording??

Post by jmather » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:41 pm

Hey everyone, thanks for all the input!! I've been so busy working this weekend, have not been able to read all the comments yet. I've skimmed over some of it and really am liking all of the good advice. I'll get to it really soon, thanks again!! mather

jmather
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jmather » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:34 am

Thanks Nick, Mazz, Che for getting to the finer points for me. I'm very happy with Sonar and want to continue using it, also. As much as I'd like to stick with the PC for familiarity reasons it seems like a good time to make the switch to mac for the purpose of reliability. Let me make sure I understand this: If I buy the new macbook I can still run windows and sonar w/o a problem? Also, I'll be using an M-audio 24 bit interface (Fast track pro) for these offsight recordings... Seems like everything should work fine w/ that configuration?

guitarhacker
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guitarhacker » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:56 pm

I am using a Dell 1720 with a Focusrite Saffire. The saffire is a firewire device, and I have never had any latency issues with recording multitracks. You DO NOT want to use the factory sound card to try to do recording. Spend the money and get a firewire interface that fits your needs. with any pro level interface and software package there will be a learning curve. I usually hand out at the cakewalk forum for Music Creator which is the software I use with mu saffire. It works well.
http://www.herbhartley.com

http://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.php?userid=28574

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -Leonardo DaVinci

jmather
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jmather » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:40 am

Hey thanks again everyone for the advice. It seems like I'll be going for the macbook and continue to use sonar. good luck everyone!mather