Midi Help!

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

michael11
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Midi Help!

Post by michael11 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:22 am

I've got a Yamaha PSR 2100 keyboard which has become more or less redundant since I started learning Logic Pro.What it has got though is a very nice on board harmonise facility.I would like to know if there is anyway I could hook the 2100 up to Logic Pro and would Logic read the Midi harmonies the way they play through the keyboard itself.I should say I am a complete technophobe and midiphobe in particular and I don't want to mess anything up.Any ideas please.
All's Well That Ends Well

www.michaelgaughan.rocks

zink
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Midi Help!

Post by zink » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:26 am

Hey Michael,I don't think this is possible. I not sure what your mean by harmonize though. Do you mean the auto chord (holding down a chord plays a full rhythm)?Anyway, MIDI data would only include the actually notes your playing, pitch bend, the Mod wheel (if there is one)... Things like that. It wouldn't include effects such as a harmonizer etc....What you might be able to do is to send MIDI data to keyboard from Logic and have that trigger the auto-chord(if that's what your even talking about)Check out the section on MIDI in the manual. I'm sure it'll have a complete explanation of all the features.HTHZink

emusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by emusic » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:29 am

My first guess would be NO but I´m also interested in hearing what you mean with that harmonizer. It might work, but the odds are it won´t.

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:46 am

keep using your Yamaha with it midi'd in line. Or get hold of Melodyne Cre8t software.

ncc1701
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ncc1701 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:29 am

I have that exact keyboard. I use Sonar, not Logic, but I'm guessing it's just a matter of setting up the interface right.I'm at work right now, but the first thing I would try is to set the MIDI settings on the Yamaha to All Parts (Function, MIDI, All Parts). Then make sure the input channel in Logic is set to MIDI Omni, not a specific channel.Try that. If it doesn't work, PM me and I'll try to figure it out when I get home.Kathleen

michael11
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by michael11 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:14 pm

Quote:I have that exact keyboard. I use Sonar, not Logic, but I'm guessing it's just a matter of setting up the interface right.I'm at work right now, but the first thing I would try is to set the MIDI settings on the Yamaha to All Parts (Function, MIDI, All Parts). Then make sure the input channel in Logic is set to MIDI Omni, not a specific channel.Try that. If it doesn't work, PM me and I'll try to figure it out when I get home.KathleenThanks Kathleen,that's great news I will give it a try.Thanks also,Zink,emusic.Steve.
All's Well That Ends Well

www.michaelgaughan.rocks