volume control

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

og
Impressive
Impressive

volume control

Post by og » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:11 pm

What is the difference between hitting the -10db switch on the mic and cutting the gain at the preamp? Is everything equal as long as the clip indicator doesn't light up?

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Re: volume control

Post by nickbatzdorf » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:18 pm

It depends where the pad is. Sometimes the pad can prevent the mic's own electronics from distorting.

og
Impressive
Impressive

Post by og » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:21 pm

It's an AKG Perception 200 large cap cond. Where and what is its pad? I've learned a lot in the last two years, but I missed a lot, too!

og
Impressive
Impressive

Post by og » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:28 am

The spec sheet says it has a "10db pre-attenuation pad". Attenuation means lessen, or turning down, so how does the "pre" fit in?

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:15 am

Quote:The spec sheet says it has a "10db pre-attenuation pad". Attenuation means lessen, or turning down, so how does the "pre" fit in? Nick's post is correct (of course). The pad attenuates the volume(voltage) before (pre) the internal amplification of the mic electronics. The reason you need such a pad, especially on large diaphram mics, is that loud sources can actually overload the internal circuitry causing distortion before it even gets to the preamp. I don't have a Perception 200, but on the standard 414, it will handle a lot of spl, but there are cases when a very powerful vocal, or something like a floor tom will need the pad.Hope that helps,

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:16 pm

Quote:The spec sheet says it has a "10db pre-attenuation pad". Attenuation means lessen, or turning down, so how does the "pre" fit in? Nick and AubreyZ are correct, of course. My guess about the "pre" is that it alludes to the "preamp" in the microphone. There can be a lot of "preamps" which gradually boost the signal in a recording chain, with the final microphone preamp kicking it up to recording levels.Ern

og
Impressive
Impressive

Post by og » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:58 pm

Ah, so. But, Master Po, is it not man with big mic who wins fight?Grasshopper, you are f*****g hopeless!So a pre-attenuation pad reduces the volume of everything--room noise, mic noise, and vocals--before they head down the signal chain to the preamp itself? If so, this is good thing for man with big mouth and loud room.

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:15 pm

A pad lowers the output of the mic by (usually) 10dB. The mic then gets plugged into a preamp to bring it up to line level.Ern, AubreyZ, and I are correct, of course.

og
Impressive
Impressive

Post by og » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:06 pm

Of course, thanks to all three of you, from both of me.