Why I'm Alive - New song for review

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Why I'm Alive - New song for review

Post by horacejesse » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:28 am

Quote:and btw--- here's a link for my mp3 challenged friend HJ Hey, and I do appreciate it. I wasn't getting any action from the other link.Really good feel here. I first thought of the Rolling Stones. You already know the vocals could come up.The with the chorus and the iv chord I was reminded of the Beatles.I think your opening lines are very strong. They give me a good sense of what the song is about. This is great subject matter, because just about every guy with a few years under his belt who has not been a perfect angel can identify with it. You hit on a common experience here. I would be happy to have written it.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:49 pm

Hi Aub,Taking a break at the day gig and had a listen on my fidelity challenged destop computer speakers.Since I'm not a songwriter I won't go there but from a mix standpoint: The vocal is loud enough, it's fighting for space with the arpeggiated guitar part, particularly in the chorus (I'm talking about the clean tremelo part). There's a bit too much 1-3K in that part and it pulls focus from the vocal. My crappy speakers here feature the upper mids and so they accentuate these kinds of issues but a large grain of salt is always recommended. Good stuff!Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

liamkelly
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by liamkelly » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:21 pm

AubJust got round to listening to this. It's pointless me commenting on production and mix issues - it's a busy track and I'm already so impressed that you got the mix to where it is that it would be stupid of me to nitpick. Especially as I know nothing. There has been some good advice from the posters above.I must say though (in case all the recording and mixing has made you forget ) that two things really struck me about the chorus:1) the lyrical deception of part of the chorus hook line:You are why I am alive.... won't (?) you save me from myselfis so cool. You expect the second part to go 'and I love you' or something but instead it defines the context of the song.2) The melodic hook for the chorus line is great. I suspect that this is a small part of why we're all telling you to tweak it.What a respectful homage to someone. She must be quite a woman.Liam

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:54 pm

Quote:AubJust got round to listening to this. It's pointless me commenting on production and mix issues - it's a busy track and I'm already so impressed that you got the mix to where it is that it would be stupid of me to nitpick. Especially as I know nothing. There has been some good advice from the posters above.I must say though (in case all the recording and mixing has made you forget ) that two things really struck me about the chorus:1) the lyrical deception of part of the chorus hook line:You are why I am alive.... won't (?) you save me from myselfis so cool. You expect the second part to go 'and I love you' or something but instead it defines the context of the song.2) The melodic hook for the chorus line is great. I suspect that this is a small part of why we're all telling you to tweak it.What a respectful homage to someone. She must be quite a woman.Liam Thanks Liam... And Mazz, Billg, HJ--- and everyone else who has listened. I'm taking a break from the drudgery of a jingle production deadline and lamenting the fact that I've not had a slot to work on this song yet. When the ideas in my head finally hit hard drive, I think this one will kick up a few notches.And yes... she IS quite a woman --- and deserves much more from me than a song.Aub