What are the best headphones for mixing?

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

t4mh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: What are the best headphones for mixing?

Post by t4mh » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:54 pm

mazz wrote:
t4mh wrote:I have a set of AKG K-701 Reference Headphones that I use to double check mixes as well as critical listening tasks while tracking and production work. These headphones are FLAT FLAT FLAT and take the "Room" completely out of the equation. They are so flat that nothing really sounds excellent on them. But, if I can't hear something or something else is too loud in a mix I can instantly hear it because being a true reference device they are absolutely true to the mix. This of course cannot compensate for hearing loss or fatigue. A direct line out from the mix bus is also helpful.

Get yer money ready...

HTH
Keith
They seem to be fairly flat, +/- 3db in certain ranges:

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/akg-k-701-white.php

The stereophile reviewer said they needed to burn in for about 100 hours, how long have you had them and did you burn them in? I'd be interested to know. Also, how are you driving it? The reviewer also said that a fairly high quality headphone amp would be a good match for them. My Benchmark DAC has a very high quality headphone amp in it and my Ultrasone Pro 650s sound really awesome driven by that.

The Ultrasone 650s certainly have a much different response graph than the AKGs:

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/ult ... ro-650.php

I don't use mine for mixing so "flat" isn't as critical for my uses but I do like to be able to hear things like reverbs and clicks and odd bass stuff and the Ultrasones work well for that.

Mazz
Ummm... about 2 years and AKG says they don't need any burn in. They are ready to go right out of the box. I get a signal from my interface, a direct out, should be the same as the signal sent to my reference monitors, excepting that it is an amplified headphone output. Just about as close to it as I can get.

HTH
Keith
I hear the voice of God in a bending guitar string!
Life is too important to be taken seriously
No electrons were harmed in the construction of this message.
http://www.t4mh.com

rnrmachine
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by rnrmachine » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:08 pm

t4mh wrote:
rnrmachine wrote:Hey Kieth,

I actually prefer to listen on flat speakers, same with cans, anymore when I am listening to audio. So I can hear it more like the original mixing engineer and mastering engineer heard it when they did it. You hear more important nuances that way, imho.

Rob
Well I have flat reference monitors too, BUT they are inside of a room and THAT can change everything you hear.

HTH
Keith
Of course a room will change things... as if I don't know this :lol: , but how much worse will consumer stereo speakers in that room or using consumer headphones?!

I did say "So I can hear it MORE like....." I didn't say exactly like and I have no clue why you would assume that I meant that. :lol: You commented about YOUR cans being FLAT and how they weren't great for enjoying music. My reply was meant to be understood as... Good! I want it that way... and then I went on to say why. I thought I was getting it across that that is how I enjoy listening to music now a days.

I thought it was fairly self explanatory, but sorry if I was confusing.

You said HTH, btw.. didn't help at all! All you succeeded in doing is confuse me about who you are with your response. :lol: Did you miss that I said "same with cans"? I just don't get your reaction.... /shrug... At all...

Rob
http://www.taxi.com/johnsteskal
Sonar X1 PE Expanded on a Windows 7 64bit system.
Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
Thermaltake PSU 500watts can run 5 SATA
Asus P5QL PRO Mboard with 4GB of Ram
Radeon X1650 512MB Ram
WD Blue HDrives. OS, Sample, Audio.

t4mh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by t4mh » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:31 am

rnrmachine wrote:
t4mh wrote:
rnrmachine wrote:Hey Kieth,

I actually prefer to listen on flat speakers, same with cans, anymore when I am listening to audio. So I can hear it more like the original mixing engineer and mastering engineer heard it when they did it. You hear more important nuances that way, imho.

Rob
Well I have flat reference monitors too, BUT they are inside of a room and THAT can change everything you hear.

HTH
Keith
Of course a room will change things... as if I don't know this :lol: , but how much worse will consumer stereo speakers in that room or using consumer headphones?!

I did say "So I can hear it MORE like....." I didn't say exactly like and I have no clue why you would assume that I meant that. :lol: You commented about YOUR cans being FLAT and how they weren't great for enjoying music. My reply was meant to be understood as... Good! I want it that way... and then I went on to say why. I thought I was getting it across that that is how I enjoy listening to music now a days.

I thought it was fairly self explanatory, but sorry if I was confusing.

You said HTH, btw.. didn't help at all! All you succeeded in doing is confuse me about who you are with your response. :lol: Did you miss that I said "same with cans"? I just don't get your reaction.... /shrug... At all...

Rob
Rob, we're mostly saying the same thing bud. I too listen on flat monitors to hear what the engineer heard although I believe my room changes things and so the sound isn't exactly true. My headphones are WAY flatter than my room and so I "think" I hear a more true mix. Thats all I'm tryin' to get across to ya.

HTH (In a clarifying way)
Keith
I hear the voice of God in a bending guitar string!
Life is too important to be taken seriously
No electrons were harmed in the construction of this message.
http://www.t4mh.com

rnrmachine
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by rnrmachine » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:25 am

AH ok Keith,

I got ya :D

Rob
http://www.taxi.com/johnsteskal
Sonar X1 PE Expanded on a Windows 7 64bit system.
Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
Thermaltake PSU 500watts can run 5 SATA
Asus P5QL PRO Mboard with 4GB of Ram
Radeon X1650 512MB Ram
WD Blue HDrives. OS, Sample, Audio.