Return on War Drums listing

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

shanegrla
Impressive
Impressive

Return on War Drums listing

Post by shanegrla » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:14 pm

My song "War Drums 1" (on my Taxi page) got returned for this listing, saying only "recording." Anybody have any idea what could be wrong with the recording? Are the samples too bad? I used Battery 3 for the most part.

Y110809IN
INSTRUMENTAL WAR DRUM TRACKS in the STYLE of Doudou N'diaye Rose, KODO Japanese drumming, and African Tribal drumming are needed by a NEW VIDEO GAME COMPANY. Quoting the company's Music Supervisor here: "We need Stripped Down BARE rhythms. JUST DRUMS that are Big, Huge, and Epic sounding. Make them sound like 500 drummers [where applicable]." This is a new company that's already incorporated and FUNDED. They have also inked a deal with a publisher (we take that to mean distribution channel), and the games are for PC and Mac - we know that's not important, but we like that they included Mac from the get-go! The deal is a simple BUY-OUT DEAL paying you $1,500 to $2,000 per track, and in some cases, the fee may go higher! Your tracks should be approximately two-minutes in length. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine). NO FADES, and the tracks you submit CANNOT be in any other libraries or catalogs. We think this is a great opportunity to get in on the GROUND FLOOR, as we suspect that the first batch of Composers they find through TAXI could easily end up becoming their go-to people for future games! Please submit one to three instrumentals online or per CD. All submissions will be screened by TAXI on a YES/NO BASIS - NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI - and must be received no later than Tuesday, August 9, 2011. TAXI #Y110809IN
iMac 21.5" (2017) Intel Core i7 3.6GHz, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM
PreSonus Quantum 2 interface
Mac OSX 10.15.6
1 G-Drive Pro 4 TB
2 G-Drive 4 TB
ProTools 2019.9.1
Melodyne 4
Soundtoys Bundle 5
Omnisphere 2
Massey L2007
Superior Drummer 2
Komplete 11U

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Return on War Drums listing

Post by Cruciform » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:22 pm

Hi Shane,

I had a listen. About all I could come up with was maybe you didn't mix it up enough for the screener's taste.

shanegrla
Impressive
Impressive

Post by shanegrla » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:25 pm

Too quiet, you think? I had the level pegged as far as I could get. I use Massey L2007 for my mastering limiter, I usually get great results from that thing. Thanks for the reply.
Mac OSX 10.15.6
1 G-Drive Pro 4 TB
2 G-Drive 4 TB
ProTools 2019.9.1
Melodyne 4
Soundtoys Bundle 5
Omnisphere 2
Massey L2007
Superior Drummer 2
Komplete 11U

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Cruciform » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:27 pm

shanegrla wrote:Too quiet, you think? I had the level pegged as far as I could get. I use Massey L2007 for my mastering limiter, I usually get great results from that thing. Thanks for the reply.
Lol! Sorry no. :D I meant 'mix it up' as in change and evolve the rhythms. Not 'mix it up' literally as in 'make the mix louder'. :)

shanegrla
Impressive
Impressive

Post by shanegrla » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:44 pm

Oh, thanks for the clarification. But I would think that would maybe fall under "stylistically off target" or "music" or something? When "recording" is checked, I presume they mean some sort of technical or production thing.
Mac OSX 10.15.6
1 G-Drive Pro 4 TB
2 G-Drive 4 TB
ProTools 2019.9.1
Melodyne 4
Soundtoys Bundle 5
Omnisphere 2
Massey L2007
Superior Drummer 2
Komplete 11U

bigbluebarry
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by bigbluebarry » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:22 pm

Hey Shane, gave it a listen... not sure why the "recording" box was checked, I didn't hear any obvious things, and I agree that checking that box would seem to indicate the problem was more of a technical or production thing.

So used mostly Battery 3 for this? I've got that software (got it with the Komplete 7) package but have not even tried to use it yet. I really need to spend some time digging around with it!

Keep at it man!

-Big Blue
Imagine a steel cage match between Daughtry, Coldplay, Paramore and Demon Hunter with Joe Satriani as the referee...

http://www.taxi.com/bigbluebarry
http://www.bigbluebarry.com
http://www.twitter.com/bigbluebarry

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Cruciform » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:23 pm

Just my guess, Shane. I didn't hear anything out-of-whack on the production side.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:26 pm

Shane are you using any sort of tape emulator effect? Sometimes I like it and sometimes not so much, but it is kind of a subjective taste. If you didn't use a tape emulator, maybe it's eq, but it sounds like tape to me. I'll listen again. I'm sticking with my original take,lol, that's all I can think of, I don't know why people check a box like recording and don't say, "the reason I checked recording was because...".
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

shanegrla
Impressive
Impressive

Post by shanegrla » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:42 pm

Nope, nothing like that. And I turned off the quantization on all of the tracks so as to make all the tracks not in perfect time. Perhaps that could be it, in some places it might have been a bit too sloppy?
Mac OSX 10.15.6
1 G-Drive Pro 4 TB
2 G-Drive 4 TB
ProTools 2019.9.1
Melodyne 4
Soundtoys Bundle 5
Omnisphere 2
Massey L2007
Superior Drummer 2
Komplete 11U

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:28 pm

well I was wrong again,lol, I think I'm seldom right anyway, I didn't hear any sloppiness fwiw.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music