How the Road Rally Changed My Life (Long)

From the desk of Michael Laskow.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

How the Road Rally Changed My Life (Long)

Post by Razor7Music » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:00 pm

I was trying to rack my brain about what happened to me at the Road Rally that made me feel as energized and ambitious about the music biz as I was over 20 years ago when I was performing and successfully pursuing a career in music.

Almost 20 years ago I started doing mostly studio work; I started experimenting with my music, the production, et al and I guess I got a little lost in the fun of it—not really taking it too seriously. I tried a couple avenues to sell my music, like using a book with a list of publishers, etc. and even submitted some tapes. Although I followed what the book said these publishers required in order to get a response one way or another, those tapes went off into a black hole somewhere—permanently.

I tried a couple other things here and there to make money with my music; did a few performances for family but mostly just did whatever I wanted in the studio and I guess you might say, wandered around aimlessly. I knew about Taxi 20 years ago but didn’t think I was ready, and didn’t join until last month.

On the business and music side, I was just going about with no direction, and only a little ambition toward a music career was left. I even stopped trying to do good mixes, and mastering was a joke because I didn’t think I had any hits—I didn’t think it was worth taking the time to “finish” a song that wasn’t a hit.

Then, my dear wife insisted that when we bought a house we chose one that had room to build out a studio for me. Of course this was not cheap and I felt a positive sense of obligation to take my music seriously again. After a 6 month setback by some unprofessional contractors, I had a project studio of my own for the first time since I had my first 4-track almost 30 years prior! I was in heaven! I recorded a song that I liked the demo of, and mixed and mastered it the best I knew how. When my wife heard the tune, she said to me, “The cost of the studio was worth it”. My heart swelled and although my goals for getting some material ready for Taxi were now 6 months behind, I decided I would still hit the milestone of joining Taxi—ready or not.

I joined Taxi one week prior to the Road Rally and after being in the main sessions, break-out classes and mentor meeting, that spark ignited once again in me that I hadn’t felt for over 20 years! In risking sounding corny, I’ll say that Michael also inspired me. His sincerity for us songwriters not only let me know I had joined a good organization, but that I had joined the right one.

What was the same as 20 years ago, you ask? I once again felt like I had a chance. My odds were again really good if I delivered on my end. I listened to the speakers and read (and am reading) their books and in my heart of hearts told myself, I can do this!

I’m now working more intently than I have in decades. I spend hours a day in my studio and am working on two songs at once which I have never done. I’m posting my daily status on my Twitter account to keep myself accountable. @razor7music

A chance. That was what I got from the Road Rally. That’s all I needed!!
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

swhit
Impressive
Impressive

Re: How the Road Rally Changed My Life (Long)

Post by swhit » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:54 pm

Good post. Glad to hear you have come back
to music after such a hiatus! I was at the Rally
too and have come back pumped up, focused and
ready to get that first forward :)

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:00 pm

swhit wrote:Good post. Glad to hear you have come back
to music after such a hiatus! I was at the Rally
too and have come back pumped up, focused and
ready to get that first forward :)
Thank you.

It's just a matter of time!
Thanks,

remmet
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by remmet » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:45 pm

Welcome aboard! And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that you have an amazing wife!

Richard

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:03 pm

remmet wrote:Welcome aboard! And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that you have an amazing wife!

Richard
Yes, I thank God for her every day!
Thanks,

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cardell » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:13 pm

Great post Stephen, thanks!

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:28 pm

cardell wrote:Great post Stephen, thanks!

Stuart
Thanks so much bro. Now I have the issue that another song idea has come to me and I haven't finished the other two. I seem to be my new source of inspiration and my own bottleneck at the same time! :o
Thanks,