New Library

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

User avatar
annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1273
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:18 pm
Gender: Female
Location: New York City
Contact:

New Library

Post by annayarbrough » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:27 pm

Hey guys,

I was contacted today by a library who wants to sign one of my tracks. They're also interested in hearing more in a similar vein—I don't have anything right now, but they said they've got a month or two on the project and they're open to hearing more as I complete them.

Everything I've ever done has been work-for-hire, so I haven't really dealt with libraries—how many tracks do you think I should plan on writing for their review?
(Important note—it's an exclusive library, and the type of music isn't necessarily my MAIN thing... although I do plan on writing more in the genre anyway).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

User avatar
Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:47 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Planet Earth
Contact:

Re: New Library

Post by Tunesmith » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:58 pm

I would say 3? I usually send groups of 3. Not too much, not too little.

Linda

User avatar
Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 2130
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 11:24 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Sunshine Coast, Australia
Contact:

Re: New Library

Post by Cruciform » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:05 pm

They've already given you the answer. :-) "As you complete them". You may end up sending in two more, for example, then they tell you that's enough, the quota has been reached. They could want 3, they could want 10 - maybe not all from you. But send one at a time as you finish.

User avatar
Casey H
King of the World
King of the World
Posts: 12316
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:22 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Re: New Library

Post by Casey H » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:10 pm

Awesome Anna!

Important question. How did this library come to hear your track and express interest in signing it? The reason I ask is that often says a lot about whether the library is of good quality. For example, if you got the contact unsolicited based on a SoundCloud listen, that sometimes is a red flag. If from a Taxi forward or referral from a trusted source, that's much different. :D

Assuming the library is a good one with a good track record & reputation, probably 6-10 if you can, but if you can only create less in the timeframe (e.g. 3-5), its' still good. Also, any tracks the library doesn't accept are material for you to pitch elsewhere.

Best of luck!
:D Casey

User avatar
annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1273
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:18 pm
Gender: Female
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: New Library

Post by annayarbrough » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:14 pm

Tunesmith wrote:I would say 3? I usually send groups of 3. Not too much, not too little.

Linda
You know, that's where I was hovering.... haha

User avatar
annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1273
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:18 pm
Gender: Female
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: New Library

Post by annayarbrough » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:18 pm

Cruciform wrote:They've already given you the answer. :-) "As you complete them". You may end up sending in two more, for example, then they tell you that's enough, the quota has been reached. They could want 3, they could want 10 - maybe not all from you. But send one at a time as you finish.
Thanks for the feedback! I should say that that was me paraphrasing, not a direct quote.... haha. They said they were open to hearing any other material I might have in the same style—no specific number on it. I guess I'm just not sure what's standard, and—considering they're exclusive—how best to invest my time if I'm going to knuckle down and start churning stuff out!

User avatar
annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1273
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:18 pm
Gender: Female
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: New Library

Post by annayarbrough » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:21 pm

Casey H wrote:Awesome Anna!

Important question. How did this library come to hear your track and express interest in signing it? The reason I ask is that often says a lot about whether the library is of good quality. For example, if you got the contact unsolicited based on a SoundCloud listen, that sometimes is a red flag. If from a Taxi forward or referral from a trusted source, that's much different. :D

Assuming the library is a good one with a good track record & reputation, probably 6-10 if you can, but if you can only create less in the timeframe (e.g. 3-5), its' still good. Also, any tracks the library doesn't accept are material for you to pitch elsewhere.

Best of luck!
:D Casey
Thanks Casey! Happy to say it's a Taxi referral :D

Good to put some numbers on it, thanks. I was wrestling with how much time to invest as I wouldn't necessarily say it's my main thing—but, granted, from what I've seen it's a widely requested style so I guess it will always be useful later on!

User avatar
cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1196
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:46 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: New Library

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:42 pm

If it's time sensitive I'd be putting everything else on the backburner and banging out as many as I could realistically manage so long as it doesn't impact on any other clients.

This window of opportunity may not be open for very long by the sounds of it, but if you can send them a steady stream of quality cues you'll not only exponentially increase your chances of getting placements but you'll hopefully build up a rapport with the regular submission process too. Think of it as a short term investment on along term strategy... If you pull out all the stops for them you could make a friend for life.

Mark

User avatar
markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:56 pm
Gender: Male
Location: South Dakota
Contact:

Re: New Library

Post by markhimley » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:53 pm

woohoo congrats, Anna!

Nothing new to add - I agree with most of what was already said. I would send 2-4 more in the next batch and see how they're feeling. After that you'll probably have a better feel for what they need/want from you. If all is well and they want more, crank em out! Strike while the iron is hot.

User avatar
annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1273
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:18 pm
Gender: Female
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: New Library

Post by annayarbrough » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:59 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:If it's time sensitive I'd be putting everything else on the backburner and banging out as many as I could realistically manage so long as it doesn't impact on any other clients.

This window of opportunity may not be open for very long by the sounds of it, but if you can send them a steady stream of quality cues you'll not only exponentially increase your chances of getting placements but you'll hopefully build up a rapport with the regular submission process too. Think of it as a short term investment on along term strategy... If you pull out all the stops for them you could make a friend for life.

Mark
Thanks for the advice! Yes. long-term strategy... good call 8-)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests