Tube Mics & Preamps; Who Needs 'Em?

Hang with your friends from the TAXI TV Chat Room and discuss the episodes

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Tube Mics & Preamps; Who Needs 'Em?

Post by Kolstad » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:13 am

Lots of great infos and experience, Mojo. Great read!

Id also throw in that the genre and styles you are recording, and the expression you want in context of that, also can matter a great deal when selecting recording gear. Gear provides a color palette, that you can use mindfully to get the results you want, when you do it creatively. There are endless ways to do that, and many are not in the facit sheets nor the youtube videos, because it is relative to each project and artistic vision, and spectacular results are often achieved through experimenting with gear and sound. Either between projects (when setting up shop), or as a process in the project itself.

Choosing and finding the tools for the job really is an art, and in conjunction with great music and performance, that’s where (the) mojo operates 8-)

MichaelMitle

Tube Mics Preamps Who Needs Em

Post by MichaelMitle » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:49 pm

Boogie is one of the very few companies that have made fine, feature rich tube preamps for said task. Id be lost without my Formula Pre. Built in DI, nice tube buffered effects parallel effects loop, 3 channels, with 5 band EQ, in a one rack mount high unit.

Will soon be adorning my Formula with a new set of GT 12AX7-Ms, and perhaps an NOS 5751 or 12AY7. Should be fun.

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:38 pm

Sometimes we get too hung up with tubes because of the sound, but another reason to like’em is the way tubes react to the player. With a guitar amp, you can get a lot of dynamics and auditive response from a good tube amp, and that may help you to get a better feel and performance as a player (especially if you are a “feel” player). In that case, tube feedback is influencing both the musician, the way the instrument reacts and the performance. So tubes can help making the most of the most important aspects of recording - the player, the instrument and the performance.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:47 am

we went from tube mics and tube mic preamps to guitar amps,lol! fwiw, I've never heard anyone using tube mics and/or tube mic preamps to record a guitar amp, mainly dynamics and ribbons. 8-)
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Wizofozland
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Wizofozland » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:12 am

Len911 wrote:we went from tube mics and tube mic preamps to guitar amps,lol! fwiw, I've never heard anyone using tube mics and/or tube mic preamps to record a guitar amp, mainly dynamics and ribbons. 8-)
U67 on guitar amps is quite popular....eg Stones

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:24 pm

A guitaramp is preamp+poweramp+speaker, so the same principles apply, I would think. But yeah I missed the point of the thread hehe. Sorry.