Question for screener #396...

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

coxnvox
Impressive
Impressive

Question for screener #396...

Post by coxnvox » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:49 am

I know the screeners rarely (never?) browse here, and I totally get that, so how would you fine folks explain this? Looking to learn here! Thanks!

“Consistency in tone is crucial for this style.” - screener

One thing I have learned about trailers is that they are often made up of more than one piece of music. Sometimes to the point you wouldn’t notice, sometimes to the point where a trained ear only would notice, and sometimes obviously, as when it goes from an orchestral track to a simple acoustic pop song within the same trailer (which I heard recently…I’ll have to try to find it…could be hard!).

With that in mind, I was really surprised to have these returned for that reason. Each section certainly has its own variation, but I usually keep the chord progression consistent when I change meter, for example, or use other techniques to make sure it section is tied to the previous. In the 2nd one, I even used the same simple 4-note melody in all 3 sections…how can that feel like a new idea? I don’t get it.

Here are the full comments and links to the trailers. Thx!

https://soundcloud.com/kerry-cox-9/the- ... f-twilight
Nice opening, but the energy really takes a downward turn around :20. With trailers/action we need to keep the intensity going without letting up. Also at 1:16 the shift in feel in not very 'trailer-esque'. After a drop out it's more effective to come slamming back in with something closer to the feel that you just left. Consistency in tone is crucial for this style.

https://soundcloud.com/kerry-cox-9/the- ... ty-of-fate
“This one is getting closer for sure, but we've still got a consistency issue with the last section. The mixed meters can be really effective, but matched with the big jump in bpms it feels too much like a new idea rather than a continuation of the same vibe.”

Y180728TI

BIG, EPIC, ACTION-Y TRAILER-Style INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a very successful, EXCLUSIVE A-List Music Library for a variety of TV, Film, Trailer, Promo, and Commercial placements. They’re on the hunt for Full-Length, Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals that have the general style and vibe of the following references: Marvel Studios' Avengers: Infinity War - Official Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwievZ1Tx-8 Robin Hood Official Trailer #1 (2018): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L77LFfyqCg VENOM - Official Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Mv98Gr5pY Give them exceptional compositions that sound like a real-deal, Hollywood-esque Theatrical Trailer, consistent with the level of quality, style, and impact of current Blockbuster Trailers. Your submissions should have instrumentation such as (but not limited to) drum hits, orchestral instruments, coupled with electronic and sound design elements like leads, risers, and pads (Choir elements are welcome for this request as well!). NOTE: Be sure your Orchestral instrumentation sounds are very convincing, and please avoid anything stiff or obviously MIDI-driven for this pitch. Your submissions should be around 2- 3 minutes long, with Non-Faded, Buttoned/Stinger endings. Please Do NOT copy the referenced acts or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, feeling, and vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed. This Library offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so the material you submit for this pitch CANNOT be signed with any other publishers or catalogs. Sync fees will be split 50/50. The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to pitch for this opportunity. Please submit as many Songs as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - Short critiques only. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PDT), on Saturday, July 28th, 2018. TAXI #Y180728TI
James Cox
coxnvox music, evergreen, co
Founder and CEO - Missional Score
MissionalScore.com

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Question for screener #396...

Post by ttully » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:11 pm

Hi Coxnvox,

Very nice work!!!

Yes....as you know, trailers are many times made up of different tracks put together.....
BUT, I think the screener is not looking for YOUR track to be like that.
I think they want a cohesive track. Your track seems like it was already composed to picture.

I will agree with the screener about the 1:16 part on the 1st track.
You have this great suspenseful part building from 1:07 to 1:16 and I was expecting it to come back in with a BANG..... but it goes into a kind of unexpected driving kind of thing, losing the intensity.

Notice how the Avengers comes back slammin after the quiet part from :54 to 1:03.

As for the 2nd track.... again..you have this great suspenseful quiet part fro 1:21 to 1:29...as in the 1st track, it goes into something totally unexpected.
Yes...it feels like a different idea starting....

You are very close...with some very good ideas.
Just try to not let the parts change too much (have a central theme that can really build)...if that makes any sense!

My 2 1/2 cents,
Tim

coxnvox
Impressive
Impressive

Post by coxnvox » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:52 pm

Thanks, Tim.
James Cox
MissionalScore.com

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:42 am

Hey Coxnvox,

I know, it's easy for me to say..change it to be like this or that....
If it was a tension or drone or hip hop cue.....no problem...
With those, there may be 10 tracks or less.

But I know the TONS of work that go into these type of instrumentals and the amount of tracks you need! 50 - 100 sometimes more!
It's not easy to change them once they are done. I know all about it!

I know how frustrating it is to have these type of instrumentals returned!!!!
Just thought I'd let you know...that I know!!!

Tim

coxnvox
Impressive
Impressive

Post by coxnvox » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:52 am

ttully wrote:Hey Coxnvox,

I know, it's easy for me to say..change it to be like this or that....
If it was a tension or drone or hip hop cue.....no problem...
With those, there may be 10 tracks or less.

But I know the TONS of work that go into these type of instrumentals and the amount of tracks you need! 50 - 100 sometimes more!
It's not easy to change them once they are done. I know all about it!

I know how frustrating it is to have these type of instrumentals returned!!!!
Just thought I'd let you know...that I know!!!

Tim
Appreciate it. I had the first trailer track I ever created forwarded several times. Now several tracks later, I'm doing things that I believe are far better, yet are getting returned for various reasons. THAT'S what's frustrating...I guess I get to decide when the frustration starts to outweigh the joy...

Peace,
kerry
James Cox
MissionalScore.com

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:05 am

I hear ya!!!
I have done a few of these type of tracks and every time when one is 'finished' I always look back and think.....how did I ever do that?!?!?
and How can I possibly do another one!!!
I don't even know where any of it comes from...it just slowly evolves...as you probably know!
It s SO much easier to do other genres.....but they do not have the level of satisfaction of a BIG trailer or movie soundtrack type of track!

Keep going man!!!

My 3 cents,
Tim