How Many libraries?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DaveZ
Impressive
Impressive

How Many libraries?

Post by DaveZ » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:32 pm

I'm curious for those that have music that is working for you, How many libraries do you work with? In my mind if you have a couple good relationships that are busy they should be able to keep you busy in turn. Or are you always looking to add more?

Dave

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: How Many libraries?

Post by cassmcentee » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:47 pm

I'm currently working with 7 libraries and will always be happy to find homes for tunes in more!
All possible thanks to Taxi and Collabs!!!
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

ComposerLDG
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ComposerLDG » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:48 am

DaveZ wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:32 pm
I'm curious for those that have music that is working for you, How many libraries do you work with? In my mind if you have a couple good relationships that are busy they should be able to keep you busy in turn. Or are you always looking to add more?

Dave
I'm currently in three libraries. While I get briefs from time to time from them, I'm definitely looking to get into more. And I'll second Cass! Prior to joining Taxi, I was in 0 libraries.
Loren DiGiorgi
Uniquely piano-inspired Orchestral | Tension | Hybrid | Trailer
lorendigiorgi.com
www.taxi.com/lorendigiorgi
www.soundcloud.com/ldigiorgi
YouTube
Instagram

DaveZ
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DaveZ » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:51 pm

Very enlightening, I was under the impression just a handful would keep you busy but that does not appear to be the case.

Thank you for sharing.

Dave

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:56 pm

Hey Dave,

There are TONS of variables to this - not an easy answer at all. Yes, a couple/few libraries could easily keep you more than busy. But maybe not. Depends on the size of the library, how often they're pitching, how many composers they have on their roster, their submission & briefs process, how many different markets/shows you want your music in, and the list goes on and on.

DaveZ
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DaveZ » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:54 pm

markhimley wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:56 pm
Hey Dave,

There are TONS of variables to this - not an easy answer at all. Yes, a couple/few libraries could easily keep you more than busy. But maybe not. Depends on the size of the library, how often they're pitching, how many composers they have on their roster, their submission & briefs process, how many different markets/shows you want your music in, and the list goes on and on.
Good points!

Thanks

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:50 am

I work with 3 libraries on a regular monthly basis. They keep me very busy. I also have two others that send me work very sporadically. I suggest you review each library carefully so that you don't over-extend yourself with libraries that don't produce results.

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:24 pm

I'm in more libraries than I have time to write for.

And I could concentrate full time on writing for any single one of them.

But like Michael Laskow said in response to one of my posts a while back... it's like diversifying your portfolio. You write for as many as you possibly can because when one library is going stale on placements, another will step up and even out your gains.

Russell
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:49 am

You can never have enough libraries representing & shopping your music. If you're only in a few right now, then aim for 10. Then 20. Then 30. Keep feeding the ones that show good results.

~~Matt

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:07 pm

VanderBoegh wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:49 am
You can never have enough libraries representing & shopping your music. If you're only in a few right now, then aim for 10. Then 20. Then 30. Keep feeding the ones that show good results.

~~Matt
8 years ago I started out with 27 libraries. Today I only work with 3 on a regular basis. For me it was impossible to consistently and regularly provide quality tracks for so many libraries. Even though most of these libraries were non- exclusive they all needed something different, and I wanted to satisfy all of them. So I got myself well over my head.

IMO it's better to establish a good working relationship with a couple of quality libraries who will get you results, than to spin your wheels with a bunch of libraries that don't produce anything.