Trap Investigative / Urban Dramedy Cue (completely new percussion)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Trap Investigative / Urban Dramedy Cue (sustained 808)

Post by CTWF » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:59 am

So, here is the newest version. I guess it clearly classifies as trap now.

Thanks to Tim, I worked much more with layers and have now sustained subbass parts in it. I have not yet worked on the percussion part re Tim's advice. Will have to postpone that to after Easter. But I don't think it is all that horrible as it is.

Overall impression?
Is the sustained subbass to grumbly?
Would I stand a chance (re urban dramedy listing in original post)?
Stylistic issues?
Datedness issues?
Production issues?
Re CosmicDolphin's remark: What about it would be better if I used a DAW for production?

Tom
Last edited by CTWF on Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:39 am

Hi Tom

It is better with the bass!
The melody is very good …. but repetitious.

As far as writing stuff using a good DAW.. (like Protools)! ha!
you probably would of spent about 20 minutes in total writing this....your mileage may vary!

Remember...it's only money!
Tim

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by CTWF » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:06 pm

ttully wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:39 am
It is better with the bass!
The melody is very good …. but repetitious.
1. Glad to hear!
2. Will work on that. But I shall keep it simple...
ttully wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:39 am
As far as writing stuff using a good DAW.. (like Protools)! ha!
you probably would of spent about 20 minutes in total writing this....your mileage may vary!

Remember...it's only money!
1. I suppose that is true once the DAW is known to you.
2. Out of my pocket, because I am doing music instead of paying work... :lol:

Thanks for the advice. Will get back at it after Easter. Tom

ResonantTone
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ResonantTone » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:30 pm

Try reaper! I’m a logic user myself, but know a bunch of guys that use reaper and find it to be great for music production on a budget. It DEFINITELY will beat out audacity. Plus there are a bunch of tutorials on YouTube.

Good luck with the submission!

Andrew

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:56 pm

Like Andrew said:
It's 'great for music production on a budget.'

It seems I like to spend as much as I possibly can...on everything!

Give me Protools…. The Gold Plated Diamond Edition.... with extra everything!

Budget ...smudget!!!!

Tim

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Urban Dramedy Investigative Cue (IMPROVED!?)

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:25 pm

CTWF wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:31 pm
I know I run a tricycle in a Formula 1 race, but I should still be able to reach the finishing line with that tricycle, or do I miss something? :) Tom
Yes it's not a race, there's no finish line. It's a highly competitive service industry. Would you expect to launch a successful restaurant with only a camping stove and some wooden cocktail sticks ?

How do you expect to progress when you're not even using the tools to allow you to do so?

How will you compete with other producers who are able to write faster, using higher quality sounds and more sophisticated FX?

How would you ever cope with the demands of music Library should you be accepted into one with such an archaic system for producing music? The rewrites, edits , stems , alt mixes ?

Yet much of the software you need to get going is free or cheaply available. Every tutorial you could possibly want is probably already free to watch on YouTube.

The longer you delay taking the plunge the more time will be wasted doing it the way you are now.

bassmothership

Post by bassmothership » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:03 am

ResonantTone wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:30 pm
Try reaper! I’m a logic user myself, but know a bunch of guys that use reaper and find it to be great for music production on a budget. It DEFINITELY will beat out audacity. Plus there are a bunch of tutorials on YouTube.

Good luck with the submission!

Andrew
Audacity? :lol:

Reaper is beating ProTools already. Just because Reaper's license costs a fraction of PT dont let that fool U. ;)

PT is just the standard DAW adopted and most advertised in the business. But by no means, it's the daw needed to have a professional job done. The newcomers in home studio should be aware of that.

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by CTWF » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:57 pm

ResonantTone wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:30 pm
Hi Andrew. I wanted to try Cakewalk once I have finished my current music video, maybe by beginning of June. Any comments on that DAW? It is entirely free now. :)
ttully wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:56 pm
Budget ...smudget!!!!
I guess if I noticed that I really use the features effectively that money buys, I would buy them. :)

Here is my newest version with more melodic changes and a little more punch in the subbass.

https://soundcloud.com/user-851261143/v ... ue/s-s5FYV

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Trap Investigative / Urban Dramedy Cue (less repetitive)

Post by ttully » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:21 pm

Hey Tom,

Yes...it's getting better.... I like the 808..that's more like it !!!

The main thing that bothers me is the drum track.....
It is a bit repetitious and some time....or maybe all the time it should be half time....with the snare on 3 not always on 2 and 4.

Keep going!!!

Tim

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Urban Dramedy Investigative Cue (IMPROVED!?)

Post by CTWF » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:23 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:25 pm
Yes it's not a race, there's no finish line. It's a highly competitive service industry. Would you expect to launch a successful restaurant with only a camping stove and some wooden cocktail sticks ?

How do you expect to progress when you're not even using the tools to allow you to do so?

How will you compete with other producers who are able to write faster, using higher quality sounds and more sophisticated FX?

How would you ever cope with the demands of music Library should you be accepted into one with such an archaic system for producing music? The rewrites, edits , stems , alt mixes ?

Yet much of the software you need to get going is free or cheaply available. Every tutorial you could possibly want is probably already free to watch on YouTube.

The longer you delay taking the plunge the more time will be wasted doing it the way you are now.
Hi CosmicDolphin - I understand your perspective. But in your restaurant example, I am the guy who is new and does not quite know how to fry an egg yet. And I will have to stay a hobby chef anyway. So, a big kitchen is of no use at the time being. In Taxi terms, my returns don't say " you did a great job, but your production is not up to date", it says more that I stylistically missed the listing. So, that is problem no. 1, to first get the music style right. That is why I am not in a super hurry to get a DAW.

Let's say you like my draft track that this thread is about, you think it is a fit for the listing, but you think the reason it will be returned is 100% about my production because I did not use the right VIs and plugins. Then, yes, time to get onto the DAW. And, before summer, I want to do it anyways, but my concern is that I might just spend a lot of time on the DAW to produce stylistic misfits...
Last edited by CTWF on Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:55 am, edited 3 times in total.