with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

TonySollazzo
Active
Active

What about EQ for sync?

Post by TonySollazzo » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:23 am

Hi - recently there has been a bit of discussion about LUFS in topic144285.html

LUFS is more or less about overall loudness, and the general consensus seems to be (if I understood correctly) make it loud for sync submissions (i.e. louder than if you were mastering for spotify).

But what about EQ for sync?

Generally if EQ matters (like in edm or epic trailers for example they will ask for deep bass drops) then the listing will say so, but often you have to go by the references which can often vary.

Do libraries care if there is too much high or too much low, or don't they care becasue they know that whoever uses the cue/song/drone will adjust the high/low/volume as needed to fit the scene?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm new to this and wondering if what sounds great over a montage piece might be too hot for background.

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: What about EQ for sync?

Post by ResonantTone » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:33 am

Hey Tony,

Master EQ is very genre dependent, and even song dependent. What it kind of sounds like you're asking about is more along the lines of sound design, which addresses things like which part of the sonic spectrum to use when creating your track.

In other words, you wouldn't want to try and EQ in a bunch of sub-bass into an EDM track if you don't really have something there providing those frequencies in the first place. I mean, you can try, but it probably won't turn out well.

What you should probably focus on first is getting a good tonal balance throughout your track by utilizing correct instrumentation, good mixing techniques and training your ear to hear what's interfering with what. After that, EQ on your master can help your sound get that polished, 5% better sound.

Bottom line.. if it sounds good, it is good. Create good sounding tracks that are useable, and you'll be well on your way.

Andrew

TonySollazzo
Active
Active

Post by TonySollazzo » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:05 pm

Hi Andrew - thanks for taking the time to explain that, but my bad that I didn't do a good job of explaining what I mean.

If you listen to this track it has 3 notes with a lot of high rinning tones, then same with EQ to reduce them.

https://soundcloud.com/tony_sollazzo/be ... ut-at-1750

Would the first 3 notes be less/same/more usable than second three notes for a sync submission?

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ResonantTone » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:32 pm

I'm just one set of ears, but yes, the second set is definitely more useable, simply because it sounds better. The first set of tones sound harsh and grating, the second set sound a little more palatable. (though personally, I'm not a fan of the sound in general)

Again though, it's all relative to what's happening in the mix and what the listing is asking for. For example, if you have those first three sounds turned way down in a track , maybe you don't need to take the highs off because it's not as noticeably grating when it's so low. Or maybe there could be a listing that calls for a certain effect that has a grating percussive nature.. who knows!

Don't worry too much about certain EQ practices that adhere strictly to sync music. Simply make it sound good and as close as possible sonically to the reference tracks, and you'll be fine. If you're lookin for something to give you pointers as to the correct eq to use, look to your reference tracks.

Also, don't forget to hit up the peer to peer section if you haven't already. Tons of really talented people hang out on there and can usually help point out flaws in a track (such as some eq missteps) pretty quickly.

Good luck!

Andrew

TonySollazzo
Active
Active

Post by TonySollazzo » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:46 pm

Interesting. Thanks Andrew.