CTWF
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Is a SHURE SM58 okay?

Post by CTWF » Thu May 07, 2020 2:03 pm

gitanosoy wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 6:09 pm
Hi Tom,
Yeah..what the guys said already ..Shure 58 is a dynamic voval mic better suited for live performance, it is better to invest in a cardioid condenser mic so it picks up the sound of what ever it is in front of it, I don't know your budget but some good ones for the money are Rhode NT1, Rhode NT5, AKG 414 and checkout some of the Audio-Thecnica AT2020 mics for around $100.00 and many more.

Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestions/brands!

Tom
https://soundcloud.com/ctwf My sh1t is straight FIRE! d;-o

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sat May 09, 2020 11:44 pm

CTWF wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:02 pm
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:16 pm
Last I heard Tom was still using the computers onboard audio despite me banging on to him about getting a proper audio interface. :roll:
Kolstad wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:25 am
Yeah, thats one thing that wont work.
What I don't understand is why the ASIO would make my USB mikrophone work better? I never had any issue with it skipping or so. The issue is the level and sonic situation of my recording, not anything electronic as far as I can see.

Now, the fact that my DAW crashes all the time if I don't split projects in thirds, that I very well see as related to the soundcard... :o :)
Well, if you get forwards and placements with what you do, I guess its fine.

For me, an external soundcard is important for the audio to digital conversion and digital to audio conversion of signals. If I get better resolution audio, I can do more in mixing, and I can make better desicions when I can hear details in the audio better.

Modern music is very high resolution, so a good soundcard is really important. Its the centerpiece of my home studio, but I guess everyone is different and there is a million ways to do it. The results are what matter.

CTWF
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CTWF » Sun May 10, 2020 3:40 pm

Kolstad wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 11:44 pm
Well, if you get forwards and placements with what you do, I guess its fine.
Forwards seldom, placements none...
Kolstad wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 11:44 pm
For me, an external soundcard is important for the audio to digital conversion and digital to audio conversion of signals. If I get better resolution audio, I can do more in mixing, and I can make better desicions when I can hear details in the audio better.
I do not record much, but the audio resolution when listening is a point I was not quite aware of, as I feel my audio has okay detail, but I possibly just don't know what sounds great. :roll: I would possibly first have to get good monitors to hear a difference. I'll get there one day! :)

Tom

GBall
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by GBall » Thu May 21, 2020 9:01 pm

Two things for what ever it is worth: - I''m not sure the boxy sound is a proximity effect but a room sound. I have the sound of my wife's office or other small room, especially if its of the near cube dimensions that a lot of small bedrooms are in my mind as I say that. (9x10 or something). Proximity effect I would describe as sounding more bassy that boxy. It could be exactly what you say, but If its room sound then a better condenser could actually sound worse...

Secondly to reply to the Asio / sound card question: Built in sound card have filters to cut off both low and high frequencies. Think ear buds in its frequency response - no matter the quality of your headphones or monitors. Because you can't hear them, its very easy to mix a song with shrill highs that would make the paint peel, or bass that the most die hard fan with a thumper in the trunk can't stand. Or... no bass or highs at all, because you know, you have no way of knowing.

Okay, I'm leaving now so you can talk bad about me.

CTWF
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CTWF » Fri May 22, 2020 10:17 am

GBall wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:01 pm
I won't do that - thanks for the reply and insights. I recently recorded more and there definitely seem to be less issues the larger the (bed/living) room is. The frequency cut-off with onboard soundcards I did not know. Still waiting on my ASIO interface - China production lacking behind. But I run the sound for my new AKG 812 headphones first through a Yamaha keyboard synth and that sounds pretty good to me.

Tom

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri May 22, 2020 4:15 pm

CTWF wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:17 am
GBall wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:01 pm
I won't do that - thanks for the reply and insights. I recently recorded more and there definitely seem to be less issues the larger the (bed/living) room is. The frequency cut-off with onboard soundcards I did not know. Still waiting on my ASIO interface - China production lacking behind. But I run the sound for my new AKG 812 headphones first through a Yamaha keyboard synth and that sounds pretty good to me.

Tom
Tom what did you order? Everything I ever ordered came like next day or the day after ?

CTWF
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CTWF » Fri May 22, 2020 9:30 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:15 pm
Tom what did you order? Everything I ever ordered came like next day or the day after ?
Audient iD4: https://www.thomann.de/de/audient_id4.htm

The dealer - Thomann - is very reputable and my AKG headphones came the next day. For the interface they had said 2-3 weeks delivery before I ordered, so seems okay to me. They say June 1st now, so is in time.

Tom

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat May 23, 2020 4:25 am

CTWF wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:30 pm
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:15 pm
Audient iD4: https://www.thomann.de/de/audient_id4.htm

The dealer - Thomann - is very reputable and my AKG headphones came the next day. For the interface they had said 2-3 weeks delivery before I ordered, so seems okay to me. They say June 1st now, so is in time.

Tom
Sweet, well I can confirm it works well with Cakewalk, I've used Thomann quite a few times over the years - they always seem pretty good. Think I bought my ID4 elsewhere though

charlie2
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by charlie2 » Sun May 24, 2020 1:24 pm

Sometimes we get lost in the details and fail to see the big picture.

I'm sure many great hits were recorded w the sm58 and many duds were recorded w the high end Mikes..
Success is failure analyzed

Sometimes the truth feels good. Sometimes bad. But it's always good for us.

The world's greatest music was written without the technology we have today.

Http://www.charlescaputo.com

Http://www.taxi.com/charlescaputo

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon May 25, 2020 11:00 am

charlie2 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:24 pm
Sometimes we get lost in the details and fail to see the big picture.
Sometimes we need the right brush to paint the picture