Composer catalog

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Composer catalog

Post by ronnie35 » Sat May 30, 2020 1:15 pm

Hi I have been reading two great books Demystifying the Cue and Writing Production Music for TV.The term Composer Catalog came up. I pulled up the website really liked it. My question is, Is Composer Catalog something I would use after I have received placement or does that even matter?

Ron
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Composer catalog

Post by superkons » Sat May 30, 2020 4:21 pm

You use the software to organise your tracks, basically. It has got a plethora of different functionalities, you may add writers, publishers, instruments, moods, etc, and link your physical audio files to the tracks within the programme. You may specify whether tracks are signed or not, and perform searches on all the data you enter into the software
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

subinthompson
Impressive
Impressive

Post by subinthompson » Sun May 31, 2020 1:54 am

As I understand, It would be nice to catalog each and every piece right after its finished. The mood and description can be done straight away when you still have the idea fresh rather than cataloging it a week.
The search function would become handy when you have a lot of pieces and have a bunch of music for a similar mood.

Subin

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun May 31, 2020 2:06 am

You would be best to do it as you go otherwise it may become a huge task if you waited

FMstereo
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by FMstereo » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:07 pm

I used to just have a spreadsheet, but I LOVE Composer Catalog! It's great to have all your information about all your tracks in one place, and the search function works really well. You can search by genre or similar artist to see if you've got suitable songs for a particular listing. You can enter splits with co-writers, what instruments you used, reversion dates, etc.

It's saved me more than a few times when I've wanted to submit something to an exclusive listing, forgetting that it was already signed non-exclusively. A quick check on Composer Catalog and I know exactly what the status is. (The bigger your catalogue gets, the more you need something like this to keep track. You do forget!)

The developer is a TAXI member, and very helpful if you have any questions.

Cheers

JettisonDK

Post by JettisonDK » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:46 am

I've been looking for an organizational tool like this! Super affordable. Thanks for posting about it. :D
-Jettison Bloom
Daniel & Kara

JenniferBowman
Active
Active

Post by JenniferBowman » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:45 am

I watched the Taxi TV featuring Keith Lubrant who created Composer Catalog. I downloaded it recently and have been organizing my music. It is really helpful and I am glad for this resource. Thanks Keith for creating this!

keithl
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by keithl » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:07 pm

Hi-
This is Keith (Taxi Member, creator of Composer Catalog, person who never bowled a 300, etc..)

Thanks for all the kind words for the people that own it. It truly puts a smile on my face knowing that I'm helping people. That was the purpose of the software. To give the user a hand with organization (something I truly lacked in the beginning!)

If anybody has any questions, feel free to shoot me an email at the contact page over at Composer Catalog dot com. The only limitation on the trial is you can put 5 tracks in max. This way, you can see if the software works for you.

Thanks!

AmandaJane
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AmandaJane » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:52 pm

I'd like to chime in and say that Composer Catalog is the central back bone of my whole music sync business. I bought it when it first came out and I can't imagine being without it.
I put songs/tracks into it once they are ready to be pitched. But you can put them in even before that if that's what suits you.
If you are serious, and want/like to be well organised and find things fast, then this is perfect :)
Sláinte, Amanda

Amanda Jane West - Lyricist | SoundCloud | My Website |