cubase 10.5 pro cursor issues

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

debmccall
Active
Active

Re: cubase 10.5 pro cursor issues

Post by debmccall » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:57 pm

Hi again...yes the snap functions were turned off...now I have them on and am experimenting....YAY YAY YAY!!! I hope :) Seems it will let cut out mistake and record again as long as I cut it at a grid line...I will experiment a few more times to make sure...and let you know! I am really grateful for your help on this, and cautiously optimistic :)

I am staying on this link as I try it out a few times...

Ok...it doesn't work all the time...so there must a some link between the grid size and where you cut out the mistake??

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:49 pm

With the "Snap" turned off, you can use your scissors "Cut Tool" anywhere you want within the recorded track to cut a section out.

With "Snap" turned on, your scissors will only cut at the closest "1", the first beat of the closest measure.
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

debmccall
Active
Active

Post by debmccall » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:38 am

cassmcentee wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:49 pm
With the "Snap" turned off, you can use your scissors "Cut Tool" anywhere you want within the recorded track to cut a section out.

With "Snap" turned on, your scissors will only cut at the closest "1", the first beat of the closest measure.
Hi Cass,

Thank you so much for this input...yes, and when I use the scissors and cut out a "mistake " then try to re-record...it wasn't getting back to the cut place...it went further back, or not far enough...it is exasperating . I have turned grid controls...off/on/ 1 on/1 off ...every combo I can think of...

Best thing so far is that I have found that I can re-record if I set the cursor on the 1 beat of the next measure to play...but I only get a count off...no roll in to have a seamless flow...I can certainly play in time, but what happens when I have an anticipation and need to hear that measure before the re-take?

My Sequel 3 was also a Steinberg product, less fluff and stuff, but cutting and recording was a breeze...
Online there are lots of comments regarding this cursor prob with Cubase pro 10.5

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:45 am

Sounds like it's time to write to Steinberg support. I was having an issue they were responsive. Might take up to a few days to hear back but worth a shot.

Good luck!

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:17 am

Hi Deb,
If you record a part that contains a mistake, yes you can snip out the mistake with the scissors, as you know. You can also set punch in/out to only re-record where the error was. However, if you need to start a bit earlier there's no reason why you can't start recording wherever you like. Your new part will be recorded but unlike tape it won't erase the previous part that's beneath it (visually), although you'll only hear the top part that you can see. You can then drag the edges of the new and old parts until you've got them in place and the edit you need. You can even slide the parts around to get them in time/place if you need to. You'd probably also crossfade a small overlap between the old and new parts so they transition smoothly. These kinds of edits are usually easier with snap to grid turned off, otherwise it'll keep shifting the part or its edges to the nearest grid line.

In general, Youtube is your friend. There's a video on just about anything you could want to find out about (within reason), and even if its old content using much earlier versions of Cubase the basic principles are much the same. For example, you'll probably get some 'aha' (or even 'omg') moments if you watch these. The first describes the editing tools and the second demonstrates some practical editing, including crossfading...........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdMzVNVY6_g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60DssR0rjdM
....and there's loads more if you search.
Chris Selim posts some great free videos about all things Cubase on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr4af6 ... 8w7WqCa7Lw
He also has a full Cubase course that's probably a good buy if you're struggling.

If the problem you're experiencing is a software issue and you need Steinberg support, I suspect they are over-faced at present and getting a response from them might take some time. Searching the Steinberg forums might be a faster way to find answers to deeper or more technical issues.
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/
I'd heard there were a lot problems with v10.0 and also v10.5, so I've stuck with v9.5 for now rather than risk updating. No doubt there'll be v11.0 towards the end of the year though. You never stop buying Cubase :).

Have fun!
Graham (UK).

debmccall
Active
Active

Post by debmccall » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:13 pm

Thank you Graham for the extra input regarding Cubase 10.5. Steinberg did get back to me and even had one of their top tech guys contact me personally. Unfortunately, he did not see a fix, and even said that Steinberg claims that the 10.5 cursor isn't to re-record where mistakes have been made....Wow!! I'm in trouble. lol

We have a friend who is helping us with Cubase, and he suggested asking Steinberg to revert our software to the 9.5 version, since there seem to be a lot of bugs with the pro 10.5....like to know who the "pros" are that like this cursor...lol.

Thanks again for all the helpers in the forum...like I said, I am technically challenged, but I really am trying!!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:59 am

Hey Deb
Sorry this isn't working out for you. One thing... I'm not sure that Cubase 9.5 would be any different. This may just be your current workflow vs. how Cubase is designed in general, not a bug in 10.5. Of course, I don't know for sure.

When I want to re-sing a section, I simply scissors around and mute the section to be replaced, put a new track under the first one, and sing the part there. Then I copy/paste or move the new part onto the original track.

Other things I haven't learned yet that might help. (1) The "lanes" function which allows you to build your track out of pieces from many takes. (2) And there is a "punch in" feature which I haven't looked at yet.

I'm a simpleton so I just use the method I first described above.

Good luck!
:D Casey

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Post by SubRivers » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:59 pm

Long time Cubase user

10.5 was the first "upgrade" I wished I could reverse and get my money back even months later.

If you are a going for docking windows then line them all up in playback - otherwise leave it as it was until you can.

really annoying

** secretly hoping that someone will go "click icon X and it lines up" - pretty please yes

Update: The option exists - icon looks like § it links the windows up