adding vocals online

Find people to work with!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

staten

adding vocals online

Post by staten » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:59 am

I need help in learning how to collaborate through TAXI. I need to add vocals to my mixes and can't find any resoues to walk me through the process. Any suggestions for learning how to do this anyone? Thank you.

CTWF
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: adding vocals online

Post by CTWF » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:24 am

staten wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:59 am
I need help in learning how to collaborate through TAXI. I need to add vocals to my mixes and can't find any resoues to walk me through the process. Any suggestions for learning how to do this anyone? Thank you.
I don't think there is an established process. Also, your question could mean many things.

(1) Recording vocals
(2) Processing vocals
(3) Mixing vocals
(4) Finding a vocalist online
(5) Collaborating with a vocalist online

Also, do you have already

(1) lyrics and melody?
(2) only melody?
(3) only lyrics?

In any case, you can try and find a vocalist/topliner/lyricist on here. Some people hire singers on Fiverr. Large files (32bit WAVs) you can move back and forth using WeTransfer or similar.

Possible scenario: You got the topline (lyrics & melody), only need the singer. Then establish contact, send files (your instrumental part, lyrics, instrumental part with clearly audible topline played in an instrument, so singer knows what to sing). Then singer records his/her vocals and sends them back to you as a file so you can process and mix them.

Tom
https://soundcloud.com/ctwf Optimizing the beat... O|°_°|O

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:19 am

The way I would work is...

audition singer(s), make sure they have the relevant sound for the genre and the ability to record themselves cleanly

have them sign a work for hire or collaboration agreement

send them, using hightail or dropbox, or similar service, a ref track - the arrangement of the song, instrumental only, and perhaps a second version with an instrument playing the proposed melody; send them the lyrics and details of the arrangement (3 bar intro, verse 1, verse 2, chorus, verse 3... etc)

they put the ref track in their recording software and sing along with it. When satisfied, they run off their vocal line(s) separately as stems as send them back to you (ensuring not to remove anything from the beginning so that they will line up with your ref track). One assumes they will do a lead vocal, and two or three harmony parts

then you mix the song. If it's a work for hire, their job is done, but you might allow them to have an mp3 or exerpt of the song for their website promotions. If it's a collaborator, you will want to provide them with a coy of the final master (with any alt versions) so they can pitch as well.

Is that the kind of intel you were looking for?
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Link: Vikki Flawith Music

staten

Post by staten » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:01 pm

TY CTWF and hummingbird for responding. I m under the impression that there is a dedicated method in LANDR to reach out to musicians and do all the transmition of song projects to vocalists so they can add a vocal audio track. So if that is the case I guess I need an initial starting point in LANDR. I have complete mixes ready for a vocal track. I just need to delete my vocals, which are terrible. I plan on using a piano to play the melody line. I am ready to adjust the key to suit the vocalist's capabilities. Thanks again.

mwb2
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mwb2 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:33 pm

Hi Staten, there's no need to use a collab app like LANDR or Auddly unless you like the workflow. Normally when I sing on other people's tracks they will send me the track, I'll upload into my DAW and record vocals over it, then I'll send the vocal stems (WAV files) back to them to be mixed in however they like. I might do just a lead vocal, or a whole set of lead vocals, backgrounds, ad libs, etc.

Cheers,
MIke
Mike

soundcloud.com/mwb2
instagram.com/mikekrishton

staten

Post by staten » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:02 pm

TY mwb2. So I can simply export my tune out of Ableton Live as a WAV? So you would be able to plug that to a collaborator who has DAW and get WAV back. Got it. So I would use drop box to send? And as a vocalist would you prefer a recording with a melody line with an instrument that you could match or ad lib?

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:00 pm

for myself I'd do both, a ref track with just instrument backup to allow for adlib but also a ref track with the suggested melody line for reference.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Link: Vikki Flawith Music

melodymessiah
Impressive
Impressive

Post by melodymessiah » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:57 am

i use mostly fiverr for finding both singers and producers for my songs. if you're willing to take your time searching, you can find some amazing value for money. good luck :)

PDebik

Post by PDebik » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:43 am

Most important things have already been mentioned in this thread before but one: Make sure you have a click track, at least something like four clicks before your song starts that the singer also keeps on their stem. This makes synchronizing their track to your background track much easier.

Besides fiverr I would like to bring up soundbetter.com, where I made some good experiences before.