Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Advice for budget home monitors?

Post by funsongs » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:09 pm

Thedude4774 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:43 pm
Peter, which did you say are the most comfortable headphones? I was looking into HD600s but I really don't know anything about headphones. I will probably try to buy Reference 4 next, and then good headphones after that. 🙂
How does the Mac mini do? Have you used it for any recording? Is it powerful enough for running your DAW and plug ins? I have a pretty powerful pc laptop but it's a few years old now and it's starting to wear down and I'm interested in an Apple but I'm currently priced out of pretty much everything but a mini but I was worried a mini wouldn't be powerful enough for lots of recording and plug-ins.
So good to hear you have owned the JBLs for years and like them! I am really excited about them so far and that makes me feel even better about them. So glad I didn't notice a hiss yet because I had forgotten about that when I ordered them and ever since then everything I read highlights that, but so far they sound fantastic. 🙂
The Scarlett headphones that came with the bundle - I sorta figured they were gonna be 'throw-away/add-ons'... but they turn out to be the ones I take to the studio for sessions/mix-reviews.
They're super comfortable for me.
No home recording or DAW.
The computer tech/friend who got me this gear 'beefed it up' - (I don't even know what these mean)
2011 Mac mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5; 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3; Intel HD graphics 3000 512 MB; 20" Apple Cinema Display
Whatever that it, been working fine so far. I've had this set up since about early 2016, I think.
Your mileage may vary.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
You Tube channel: Peter Rahill

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Thedude4774

Post by Thedude4774 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:39 pm

Just a follow up! My speakers haven't really worked out so far. Not their fault. But I'm in such a small apartment and they have to be so close to the wall that the bass frequencies carry too far whenever I play them loud enough to be of good use. I've tried to do super cheap ways of cancelling out the sound but it hasn't worked so far so I will have to save up and do some sound treating. But I was really trying to decide between the Yamahas and these, and I think given my situation the Yamahas would have been better because the biggest criticism against them is a lack of bass. But, truthfully, I started school about a week after I got them so I haven't been able to spend the time I need to get it all worked out and really break them in yet, so the jury is still definitely out, but if you are in a super small space with shared walls and can't do a ton of sound treating, you may not want to go with the JBLs.

AlanHall
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AlanHall » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:50 pm

Thedude4774 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:39 pm
Just a follow up! My speakers haven't really worked out so far. Not their fault. But I'm in such a small apartment and they have to be so close to the wall that the bass frequencies carry too far whenever I play them loud enough to be of good use. I've tried to do super cheap ways of cancelling out the sound but it hasn't worked so far so I will have to save up and do some sound treating. But I was really trying to decide between the Yamahas and these, and I think given my situation the Yamahas would have been better because the biggest criticism against them is a lack of bass. But, truthfully, I started school about a week after I got them so I haven't been able to spend the time I need to get it all worked out and really break them in yet, so the jury is still definitely out, but if you are in a super small space with shared walls and can't do a ton of sound treating, you may not want to go with the JBLs.
Do you have highly-reflective parallel walls? There may be nodes in play that reinforce the 'wrong' frequencies in the same spot you have your ears. Move around the room while music is playing to hear if there are differences (peaks/valleys) in the frequency spectrum. You might find some relief by simply placing the speakers or yourself a few feet (or inches) from where they currently reside.

Also the JBLs have some rudimentary EQ switches on the back, correct? Be sure to play with them before you give up.