New Christmas song

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

seanmorrow

New Christmas song

Post by seanmorrow » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:58 pm

Hi everyone, here's something I put together for the holidays that I would love some feedback on. Please note I'm VERY new to this, so I'm super open-minded to feedback. I plan on rerecording all these tracks after I get some suggestions. Keys, guitar, and bass are all digital and the drums are a Logic Pro pre-set track).

https://soundcloud.com/sean-morrow-6592 ... al_sharing

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: New Christmas song

Post by deantaylor » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:39 am

It's kind of refreshing to hear a negative Christmas song. Most are so happy.

I dig the negative/angry attitude punkish vibe and I like the way you use the bells. Finding a way to add a few more subtle Christmassy sounds might be cool.

For licensing, be ready to have a clean version of any song that has curse words, especially the F word.

Most listings/clients want happy Christmas songs, but I think there is a small market for negative Christmas songs and the pool of songs you are competing with is smaller there.

Others can help you more than me with the instrumentation and production.

RonKujawa
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by RonKujawa » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:52 pm

I like the pop punk vibe and attitude, and I agree with Dean that it's a refreshing take on a Christmas song. I also agree you'd at least want a clean version ready to go, but if it were me, I'd just eliminate the F word altogether if this is aimed a sync. I'm interested to hear how this develops in production.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:04 pm

I like he punk vibe, I could see it a la The Clash or Green Day. I would make the lyrics more positive, as much so you can while still being punk. Maybe more like "Christmas Alone But I Don't Care", (just one random brainstorm idea). Also, the melody is too flat and repetitive, needs a hook to stand out more.

Good luck with it.
:D Casey

JonathanE
Impressive
Impressive

Post by JonathanE » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:19 pm

seanmorrow wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:58 pm
Hi everyone, here's something I put together for the holidays that I would love some feedback on. Please note I'm VERY new to this, so I'm super open-minded to feedback. I plan on rerecording all these tracks after I get some suggestions. Keys, guitar, and bass are all digital and the drums are a Logic Pro pre-set track).

https://soundcloud.com/sean-morrow-6592 ... al_sharing
Hahaha Love it! :D I can always go for sarcastic christmas songs, well done, great concept!

I'd be interested in possibly a collab on this if you wanted to develop it. Can hear lots of possible fun vibes in this one
“He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying.”
https://www.taxi.com/members/jonathane
jonathan@earthenmusic.com