Trailer-style Hybrid - on the right track?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Pvgeldrop
Active
Active

Trailer-style Hybrid - on the right track?

Post by Pvgeldrop » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:08 am

Hi everyone,

Having another go at a trailer-like track, this time from the following Dispatch listing:

---------------------

A Bunch of DRAMATIC/EMOTIONAL TRAILER-Style ORCHESTRAL HYBRID INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a Music Licensing company that's landed some great placements for TAXI members.

This company is on the lookout for a bunch of Instrumentals in the general stylistic ballpark of the following references:

Luckiest Girl Alive Trailer

Red Sparrow Trailer

"Casshern" by Ursine Vulpine

Quoting the Client: "Must be melodic with compositions that tug at emotions, enhancing storytelling elements. 3-Act Structures are required."

Please submit Dramatic/Emotional Trailer-Style Instrumentals with three "acts" that build to a climactic crescendo. Craft your pieces around one central motif and create dynamics, interest, and forward motion by layering instrumentation in and out as the pieces progress. Orchestral instrumentation with electronic elements that are in the general wheelhouse of the references will work best. Please make sure that any virtual instruments or samples you use are high-quality, and realistic sounding.

Submissions should be about 2-3 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Please do NOT copy the referenced examples in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, texture, tone, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This Library offers a NON-EXCLUSIVE, 50/50 Deal. You’ll get 50% of any sync fees and 100% of the Writer’s share. The Publisher will get 50% of sync fees and 100% of the Publisher’s Share. You’ll keep 100% of the original Copyright and Master Recordings. You must own or control the Masters and Copyright to submit to this pitch. Please submit as many Instrumentals as you’d like, online or per CD. Time-permitting, someone from the Music Library may screen some or all of the submissions. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Thursday, February 22nd, 2024. TAXI Dispatch # D240222RD

-------------------

My track on SoundCloud is a work in progress, and has not yet been mixed. I'm still struggling with the final section to bring it to a more satisfying ending.

However, a previous track was returned because it didn't feel enough like a trailer, and was missing trailer-like elements. So my questions to you: Am I on the right track with this listing (The Luckiest Girl Alive trailer is the one most fitting to the sound I have now, I think, which is rather organic) and is it trailer-y enough? :-)

My present work in progress: https://soundcloud.com/paulvangeldrop/s ... al_sharing

Thanks so much!

Pvgeldrop
Active
Active

Re: Trailer-style Hybrid - on the right track?

Post by Pvgeldrop » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:34 am

I've actually finished it, and done some mixing and mastering.

New version can be found here: Spare Me A Thought

I'd love some feedback; is it enough like a trailer and does it match the brief?

edmondredd
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edmondredd » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:42 am

That's a very good piece of music you have here Paul.
Here are some of the toughts that I had while listening to it:
  • Structure: Although you perfectly nailed the 3 act structure, I have a feeling that the intensity of act 3 is actually what I would expect in act 2. And that's maybe because act 2 is too long and not building up enough? So if I had to revist the structure, I'd personally tame act 1 a bit more (especially the first part of it), use the ostinato part of act 2 and end act 2 with the short drops you have at the beginning of act 3, and then, build it more from here, using horns, synth and high frequency percs
  • Mix: There's a lot of low end information that is making the track a tad unclear. I'd look into making the low end a bit more defined. This might be caused by low atmospheric booms, or other long tail bass heavy instruments. If they're exposed, it's fine to keep them ringing, but in the context of a mix, I usually find it cleaner to shorten those infinite tails. Another thing is that you have to have your perc poke a little bit more
  • Orchestration: I like the melody on the piano, and you might benefit of using it again on a cello, or on horns somewhere else, this way you consolidate your 'theme' using repetition
Hope that helps, and good luck with your sumbission
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image

Pvgeldrop
Active
Active

Post by Pvgeldrop » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:28 am

Hi Edmond,

Thanks, very much appreciate your time and feedback, going to see if I can make some changes before submission time!

Thanks again,

Paul

edmondredd
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edmondredd » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:57 pm

you got it Paul!
And if you need any additional info, do hesitate to reach out
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image