I DONT CARE I LOVE IT

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

XrashGates
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by XrashGates » Sat May 11, 2024 2:55 am

Last edited by XrashGates on Sun May 12, 2024 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

XrashGates
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by XrashGates » Sat May 11, 2024 2:57 am

XrashGates
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by XrashGates » Sat May 11, 2024 3:19 am

Last edited by XrashGates on Sun May 12, 2024 9:05 am, edited 11 times in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Any Feedback (singer/songwriter)

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat May 11, 2024 3:42 am

XrashGates wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 2:43 am
Tell me Mark

What is your relationship with the industry and taxi and all the regular guests on the forum?
Not quite sure what you want to know but essentially :

Started making music late 80s- early 90's ( just on my own - no formal music Ed ) - Got a few reviews in magazines Like SOS and Future Music

Worked as FOH mixer for a 10 piece band in the late 90's -early 2000's inc some record label showcases, local radio appearances, won big battlee of the bands locally ( they never got signed ultimatel )

Had my own mobile recording business in the early 2000's mostly going to reherasal spaces with an ADAT and recording band demos

Went to school with a guy in my street who owns one of the biggest production music companies in Malaysia where they do all the big brand Ads music and have a complex of 8 studios so knew of sync

Had a song we wrote listened to by Atomic Kitten in the 2000's as my Sister is friends with the parents of one of them . They liked it but not enough to use it, and already had deal with Andy McCluskey so not taking outside writers.

Joined the Taxi forum in 2010 whilst making music just for myself/fun over on a Music Collab site for many years. Self released album etc. on Spotify - Lurked here for 5yrs before joining Taxi

Had 3yrs of singing lessons, decided I'm not cut out to be a vocalist so decided to have a go at instrumentals

Did 2yrs of Taxi 2016-2018 , got into a bunch of libraries , got to know a bunch of forum members. Met up with a couple of them that live in the UK on multiple occassions that I collab with. Speak to some of them outside of Taxi on social media etc.

Had a couple of tracks featured on Taxi TV whilst a member, a rare song that we wrote was selected in the Taxi Top 10 for that month

Never been to a road rally. No longer require a Taxi membership as working direct with several libraries. Write 80-100 tracks a year, most get signed. Approaching 1k TV placements now. Still collab with various people singers or guitar players mostly being things I can do but not very well.

I have no relationship to Taxi or know anyone who works there.

XrashGates
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by XrashGates » Sat May 11, 2024 3:45 am

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat May 11, 2024 6:43 am

XrashGates wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 3:45 am
what I want to know, is why you're so upset and so strung up about "no platinum producers here"
Not upset or hung up but not sure why you think there would be any here given what Taxi is :roll:

XrashGates
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by XrashGates » Sat May 11, 2024 7:59 am

Last edited by XrashGates on Sun May 12, 2024 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

CTWF
Impressive
Impressive

Post by CTWF » Sat May 11, 2024 10:47 am

XrashGates wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 3:19 am
What is a better hook?
It‘s been said already: just repeating „I’ve been missing you“ is not enough. Don‘t you think it should be more like 2-3 sentences and a more interesting melody? Why don’t you post the entire lyrics here and ask for ideas. Heck, ask ChatGPT for ideas. :geek:
XrashGates wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 3:19 am
What is a better demo?
Instrument-wise there essentially is just that piano for the first half. To me it sounds like a dated synth and too MIDI. One way forward would be to make this sound like a real piano played by a real person.

Then in the second half there is some percussion. It seems weak and could use a stronger beat. Now, have you heard of the concept of a drop? Building up tension until the beat comes in and gets you moving? You could have more than one drop - for instance at 1:57 there could be one, too. Also, risers, downshifters, ear candy. Anything to make the piece more interesting and exciting. For instance, the second half could also use some strings or pads to make the emotion stronger.

Then the vocal. From 1:21 onwards it sounds very distorted - each „s“ seems too close the mic in a bad way. Also, where is a good, modern reverb here? Like around the 2:04 mark and elsewhere the voice is way to dry and in the face.

Okay, these were a few starting points. Generally, as I said, there are some strong parts in this that simply need to be better developed.
Last edited by CTWF on Sat May 11, 2024 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/ctwf --> 0|°_°|0 <-- I am a producer/composer with TV, radio, and advertisement placements around the globe. -- Music is the mathematical transmitter of human emotions.

CTWF
Impressive
Impressive

Post by CTWF » Sat May 11, 2024 10:51 am

Something else: YT seems to imply that this track has a publisher already … would that not be a problem if you wanted to do anything with it now?

Added: Was this released through the likes of CD-Baby/Tunecore?
https://soundcloud.com/ctwf --> 0|°_°|0 <-- I am a producer/composer with TV, radio, and advertisement placements around the globe. -- Music is the mathematical transmitter of human emotions.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat May 11, 2024 12:28 pm

XrashGates wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 7:59 am
Yeah my mistake, for some reason I thought TAXI might be the place full of platinum producers and instead I get none
If they were THAT good they wouldn't be hanging out here would they ? They'd be off producing hits for people signed to record labels / artists.

What you will find are hard working musicians who've written, performed, mixed and mastered their own music to a standard high enough to be used in a professional context. They might be several tiers down from Radio / Billboard but it's still quite an achievement for anyone who can write music to be able monetise it as the vast majority who try will fail.
XrashGates wrote:
Sorry its Micheal's Marketing. He is so great at it, I was so swept away with the way he makes you feel about this forum.

Yes. He is a great salesman, one of the best I've come across. Personally I joined the forum before hearing him give it the big sell, Taxi TV wasn't always on Youtube.
XrashGates wrote:
He says like your all so professional and helpful and are just some of the nicest people you'd ever meet.
Some of them are really nice if nicencess is what you're after, but some of us are just straight shooters. Even in the pennies world of Sync the library owners will be pretty direct and not have time to blow smoke up your ass. I expect it's way worse in Billboard land where there's a lot more money riding on the outcome. But I've had enough private messages of thanks over the years and even occasional Ko-Fi's to know that some people do appreciate my feedback and find it helpful.

The folk who argue with the screeners, be dismissmive of feedback from established members and generally can't hear the flaws in their own music tend to not get very far and not stick around too long. There's been a long line of them over the years.
XrashGates wrote:
Maybe that was code for Boy your in for a surprise
That's usually what happens when peer feedback is not what they expected and they can't seperate critiscism of their music from personal attack.