I wanna write music like Nat King Cole

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: I wanna write music like Nat King Cole

Post by hummingbird » Thu May 01, 2008 5:59 pm

too right, Squids. And let us not assume that only the OLDIES like OLD STUFF. Kids nowadays really dig the music of the 60s, 70s, 80s. And... surprisingly enough, if I've done a jazz gig, invaribly my MOTHER comes up to me afterwards and says "you know I don't like that Summertime song." Go figure
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Thu May 01, 2008 6:40 pm

Bird,Yo mama, she kill me!

aimusic
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aimusic » Thu May 01, 2008 8:54 pm

I think we can give Michael Buble credit - that dude knows how to entertain, and I would kill (not literally, ok maybe literally ) for a voice like his!!!!I love music from the 60/70/80's, mainly coz it's the music I grew up with (my parents listened to it). It's strange coz my Mom listened to Black Sabbath / Deep Purple/ Uriah Heap / The Doors etc... and from my dad's side came Depeche Mode / Yazoo / Tears For Fears etc.... oh and Glen Miller ... Oh how I can listen to his stuff all day too....I swear I must have been around in the 40's in a past life or sumin... just love that era!!

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Fri May 02, 2008 5:00 am

And the music from shows like Ocean's Eleven, Twelve, ad nauseum (they were cute at first but.....ya know). Anyway, the music was hot, really layered on a level of cool to retro stuff.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri May 02, 2008 5:02 am

May 1, 2008, 11:54pm, aimusic wrote:I think we can give Michael Buble credit - that dude knows how to entertain, and I would kill (not literally, ok maybe literally ) for a voice like his!!!!a few years voice training might do it
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

aimusic
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aimusic » Fri May 02, 2008 5:20 am

Oh how I wish I had the time for vox training!!! Damn life and all it's busy-ness!!!

davekershaw
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davekershaw » Fri May 02, 2008 5:24 am

May 2, 2008, 8:20am, aimusic wrote:Oh how I wish I had the time for vox training!!! Damn life and all it's busy-ness!!! Go to Halifax!

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Sat May 03, 2008 2:54 am

Apr 30, 2008, 1:21pm, mewman wrote:The thing is, even if you could write like Hoagy Carmichael, you probably wouldn't have a lot of luck selling your stuff. I read an interview once.... I think it was with Carmichael... in sheet music magazine where he was asked what his favorite song was that he wrote. He replied that he had just finished one the night before that he really liked a lot...one of his best, he thought. He then went on to say that there was no market for his style of song anymore. Thing is, after he said that Ray Charles made a monster hit out of one of his tunes, and who in this wide and wonderful world can watch (even colorized) reruns of Casablanca and not go around singing AS TIME GOES BY, the next day. By the way, Tuck and Patty did a great cover of that tune.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin