Post by Len911 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:13 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:33 am
CTWF wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:21 pm
Len911 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:37 am
CDs are probably the safest.
I am not a tech guy, but our computers at home do not have CD/DVD drives anymore, however, we do have a couple of audio CD-players from decades ago. Question: Do you mean an audio or a data CD?
Apple quit installing optical drives circa 2012-13

I think the only ones I have now are on the kids games consoles, but they are even doing away with them in the next generation
:lol: I see where this is going, into the clouds. https://www.wired.com/story/microsoft-e ... lypse-drm/
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: QR Codes Instead of CDs and Thumbdrives

Post by Casey H » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:28 am

If we're talking about sharing when meeting in person, things are quickly evolving and already have evolved. CDs used to be very convenient because people like to listen in their cars. But newer cars don't have CD players anymore. Thumb Drives are too risky as a virus can wipe someone's computer. QR codes will work for some, but not for others.

If you go to a convention such as the rally, I would recommend still bringing some CDs in case you are asked for one (but only if asked). Also, have business cards with links to your website, soundcloud page, or other (e.g. Disco, Box, whatever you use). No harm in having QR codes on your business cards.

But thing BIGGER point. The more important thing is the relationship. Get to know someone enough such that you can follow up later with an emailed link. Meeting in a more casual situation such as the bar, restaurant, elevator, etc. can be best. Don't even talk about yourself and your music. Meet someone as if they were any other person at a party. Let them decide if they want to ask you about your music. The worst thing is to throw yourself at someone. Personally I never run up to panelists after a ballroom session and hand them a CD. Most of those CDs will get trashed unless they have a strong reason to be interested. I may have digressed a bit here.

Bottom line... Have CDs and business cards with links and QR codes with you.

Best
:D Casey

gregorym
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: QR Codes Instead of CDs and Thumbdrives

Post by gregorym » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:29 am

Casey H wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:28 am

Bottom line... Have CDs and business cards with links and QR codes with you.

Best
:D Casey
Thanks Casey! Great idea to bring all formats, just in case. This makes a lot of sense. If asked, I'll be ready to give any format that someone might want.

"Do you have a CD?", says the owner of a music library.
"Certainly," says the starving composer. (that's me)

Well, I'm not starving, but you get the point.

Thanks,
Greg