Re: Do you get 10's in your critiques?

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

liamkelly
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1106
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Do you get 10's in your critiques?

Post by liamkelly » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:25 pm

Quote:This is not a post about my forwards specifically. How often do you get 10's on your posts? Is that a once a year phenom, or do some of you more seasoned folks get 10's regularly in the evaluation of your submissions?Rough numbers - have around 100 submissions, around 40 forwards (got better as I got more selective), no 10s, and 9s only every now and then.Don't think you need a 10 for forwarding. To be honest, of all the songs you've ever heard in your life, how may would you give 10/10 to? Prolly less than 30.Liamwww.myspace.com/liamkellymusic

tacksea007
Active
Active
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:43 am
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Do you get 10's in your critiques?

Post by tacksea007 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:14 am

Hey All,I'm Sebastian the head screener at TAXI and this is a question that often comes up. When I am training a new screener I advise that we don't give out 10's. I find that it is a misleading score and something that has only been accomplished in the history of music a handful of times. Occasionally a screener will come across a production, or some engineering, or an arrangement that they feel the need to congratulate with a 10. Personally the only time I have given a 10 on music or lyrics was when I received a cover song that was a hit. I think that 10 implies some proven success. As far as a 10 being a guaranteed forward, I think that some of the previous posts cleared that up quite nicely. You can have 10' in your critique but have submitted to the wrong listing stylistically and you will not get passed on.I hope this is helpful.

ryoung815
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:47 am
Gender: Male
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Do you get 10's in your critiques?

Post by ryoung815 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:05 am

Quote:Hey All,I'm Sebastian the head screener at TAXI and this is a question that often comes up. When I am training a new screener I advise that we don't give out 10's. I find that it is a misleading score and something that has only been accomplished in the history of music a handful of times. Occasionally a screener will come across a production, or some engineering, or an arrangement that they feel the need to congratulate with a 10. Personally the only time I have given a 10 on music or lyrics was when I received a cover song that was a hit. I think that 10 implies some proven success. As far as a 10 being a guaranteed forward, I think that some of the previous posts cleared that up quite nicely. You can have 10' in your critique but have submitted to the wrong listing stylistically and you will not get passed on.I hope this is helpful.I have only heard back about one of my critiques (I joined just a month ago ) but it was all 10s and a 9 for both of my songs and I got forwarded. I was happy but I felt that I missed at on some good constructive criticism. Bittersweet?!?-R

ryoung815
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:47 am
Gender: Male
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Do you get 10's in your critiques?

Post by ryoung815 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:13 am

Quote:Ryan, getting almost all 10's for that listing in question is great! Can you share links to your tunes that were forwarded? Just visit my myspace (www.myspace.com/ryanymusic) and the two songs are "Hello Mrs. Heartache" and "Stay"They both were written my junior year of high school, but I'm proud of 'em! Let me know what you think! Thanks!-Ryan

ncc1701
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 403
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:09 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Astoria, OR
Contact:

Re: Do you get 10's in your critiques?

Post by ncc1701 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:14 pm

Ryan, that's great stuff. You've really got something there. Much more musicality than I normally hear in the self-proclaimed "Indie" genre. More, please!

scythe
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Do you get 10's in your critiques?

Post by scythe » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:22 am

I have not gotten any 10s yet, but then again I've just started submitting my material last month. From what I've been reading, you don't have to have 10s to get your songs forwarded but I don't think 10s would hurt either. I'm still waiting for the opportunity to say I've been forwarded. I've been producing music for awhile now and I'm still waiting for my first break. Anyone else in my boat?

User avatar
davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 4172
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:57 am
Location: Cape Girardeau, Missouri
Contact:

Re: Do you get 10's in your critiques?

Post by davewalton » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:45 am

Quote:I have not gotten any 10s yet, but then again I've just started submitting my material last month. From what I've been reading, you don't have to have 10s to get your songs forwarded but I don't think 10s would hurt either. I'm still waiting for the opportunity to say I've been forwarded. I've been producing music for awhile now and I'm still waiting for my first break. Anyone else in my boat?Forwards are what you want, regardless of the numbers. Most of the screeners I talked to said that 10's were reserved for something really special and I've seen other critiques where 10's were given a little more liberally. Any 10's are high praise no matter what. I'm happy with 7's, 8's, and 9's yet I'm always trying to improve.

jpenner
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:08 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Do you get 10's in your critiques?

Post by jpenner » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:55 am

Hey Guys, I typically get 7-9's on my reviews but this one time I did get all 10's and the song was not forwarded. The funny thing was it was for a country listing and I (for the most part) am a pop-rock artist/writer (all though I do dabble in other genres). So anyways, you can imagine my utter shock to receive such marks for a "high bar country" listing. This was a while back (last year sometime).Listing #S060516COHere are the comments:Style:Not close enough to what listing asked for (Well, there you go folks!)Melody:Great hook MelodyStructure:Chorus comes in right on time and stands out.Lyric:Great emotion, great lyric. Characters are clear, story develops nicely. It's a terrific song.Overall comments:Jessica... hot as hell. Great, contemporary feel. Relatable lyric. Arrangement lets the story grow and then pulls it back at the end. Structure is fine, wouldn't change a thing about it.Main reason(s) you were or were not forwarded:Not on target for this high bar, contemporary country listing.I only wish this screener could've recommended what type of listing this should be submitted to (like I said, country is not my field of expertise!). Overall, it was just a nice boost of confidence and for me that is vital. I have been a taxi member for about a year and a half and have submitted around 100 songs. My forward rate is about 70% but I have not gotten any deals through taxi. In the last couple months I have started placing songs in libraries (5 songs so far) but they were secured through other connections.I keep thinking "man, something HAS to develop from all of these forwards."I guess the important thing is to just stay positive and keep plugging away.The critiques are very valuable and although I have never re-worked a song because of one I definitely keep them in mind when I am working on new material.You guys are the shizzle.-Jess

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician
Posts: 993
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:35 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Do you get 10's in your critiques?

Post by andreh » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:59 am

Quote:Hey Guys, I typically get 7-9's on my reviews but this one time I did get all 10's-JessI'm not surprised...your stuff is awesome.To the forum: if you ever get a chance to work with Jess, take it! She's a super talented girl with a great attitude.Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

jpenner
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:08 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Do you get 10's in your critiques?

Post by jpenner » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:01 am

Thank YOU!Any time Andre.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests