Re: Okay, in regards to other artists...

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:31 pm

Who would you pitch as a lyricist only? A collaborator? Then there would be no problem in using her demo to show your lyrics. But you can't pitch a song you didn't write (or have collaborator's agreement to pitch together), so I don't really understand the questions.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:39 pm

WalterFirst, there is pitching the SONG for other artists to re-record:If you wrote both the music and the words, then the SONG is 100% yours and you can pitch to artists as you like. If she co-wrote with you then the SONG is 50/50 (or some split) and both your signatures are required for an artist to record it.Now, the RECORDING itself:Regardless of who wrote the song, there needs to be agreement on ownership of the master recording for use "as is" for film/TV, etc. If she was only the demo singer, you need to get her to sign a work-for-hire release giving you rights to the master recording. If she sang it and was also a co-writer, you still need an agreement as to who owns what share of the master recording. Without clear rights to the master recording, you can't pitch it for film/TV. If you share rights to the master, both signatures would be required for any film/TV deals. Music libraries fall under the category of film/TV deals.I hope I helped! Casey