Record Company C.E.O.'s and you have to do what?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

finedivasoc

Record Company C.E.O.'s and you have to do what?

Post by finedivasoc » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:49 pm

This is a message for anyone with some valid insight. I'd like to find out what kind of classes I should be taking in school to work towards becoming an exec. at a record company? I am a former entertainer with Noooo desire to be front and center anymore, but I'd like to stay in the business. I'm currently working on a business administration degree, but after talking to my advisor today, I may need to rethink my major.Advisor says begin with an associates in marketing, then a bachelor's in comunications and then go into the MBA program with an emphasis on maybe risk-mangement. (Risk management sounds very interesting to me) Advisor says this will make me well-rounded from an academic perspective setting me apart from the competition. I agree.I'm enrolling in broadcasting school in July so I can get a feel for the back of the house stuff...production, editing, etc. and I know it'll be nice on a resume, however, should I be going about all this in another way? Yikes.I already have business management experience, sales experience, self-employment experience, and I've even worked briefly as a broker-dealer for a public corporation, but I have yet to be employed as a member of staff for a record label, radio staion or television show.So, with all that being said......any words of wisdom from the fine contributor's of this magazine who actually run a record company or a department in a record company? I'd sure like to make sure the next 4-7 years of educating myself won't be wasted taking the wrong courses. I do plan to set up some informational interviews with a few record companies this summer to gather some more information, but I'd like to obtain whatever insight I can before meeting with people face-to-face. Dig it? I knew you would!Thanks so much for your time! I know we're all really busy, but some help here would really be super-groovy!Soc

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Record Company C.E.O.'s and you have to do wha

Post by hummingbird » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:31 pm

I don't think I have any answers for you. Since there are only 3 major labels left and most others are indies, "record" companies are a dying breed. It sounds to me like you have a fairly good idea of the kind of background you might need. But, I don't see any A&R or band management or talent scouting on your list.Seems to me one of the best things you could do is try to land a 15 minute appointment with a major producer, a major A&R rep, and a record company exec to ask them about what they do & talk about about career planning. Quote:...any words of wisdom from the fine contributor's of this magazine who actually run a record company or a department in a record company?I'm not sure what you mean by this. This isn't a magazine, it's a public forum. Most of us here are songwriters, composers, artists, singers, musicans, producers, lyricists trying to land gigs with record companies, indie labels, music publishers, music libraries, etc.Just as an aside, I think it's a pity that music composition, orchestration, music theory, songwriting, etc isn't anywhere on the list of things you are studying. I don't mean that as any kind of judgement of you, it just speaks to the fact that most of these 'record' companies are about big business rather than the fostering of the talent that goes into creating the music. Twas ever thus. H
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Link: Vikki Flawith Music

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:19 pm

hi groovy chick,I don't have a quick and fast answer, but personally I think it goes into the same directions as a question such as "how do I become a successfull record producer".my personal experience: education does help, yes - it simply gives you some important tools. at the same time, it's not absolutely mandatory (at least as a record producer; don't know too much as a rec. exec.) - I think you need to start somewhere. do some internship in record labels, learn how the diffrent fields of this business work, ask questions, be hungry for knowledge and commit yourself to your goal.this may sound unspectacular, but a lot of people I see would "like" to be successfull as composer, producer, bizz-type or whatever BUT they don't act like that. meaning: it seems that their goal isn't important enough for them, some are simply not willing to invest enough time & energy into it. so it comes down to the question: what do you want in life, what is important to YOU? only you can answer this question for yourself.as a starting point you could read some biographies (I think they even can be found at wikipedia) from now successfull managers & record label exec - how was their way?if you have not already the knowledge about the diffrent departements and how they work together of a record label (a&r, product manager, etc) as well as the terms & principles of contracts & business-models (how exactly is a record contract for an artist set up, how do the royalties get calculated, what are "new markets" etc etc), I'd strongly recommend to acquire this knowledge."all you need to know about the music business" by donald passman is a great resource, for example.hope that helps @vicky: ""record" companies are a dying breed"I don't want to fall into some kind of a debate on principles but I disagree. the market is changing - and always was. did you know that when the broadcast radio was invented back in the beginning of the 20th century a lot of record labels of those days closed, simply because they didn't sell enough records anymore?record labels will continue to exist; the market shares are (already have) changing (cds, internet, tv etc) but you will always need some kind of promotional tools - and the money to stand out of the crowd, which an unsigned indie artist usually doesn't have.I don't say that there are not successfull alternative models of exploring cds/music besides record labels. but this doesn't mean that the rec. labels will die. however, the resources from where the money flows changes (as it always has)."it just speaks to the fact that most of these 'record' companies are about big business rather than the fostering of the talent that goes into creating the music."once I've read an interesting statement to that: if a musician says "I don't care about all this business and money, I'm a true artist and just do my music" than s/he might be considered as a "true", "real" artist that has no money but lives only for his/her music.now imagine if a business-type says the same thing on his side, i.e. "I don't care about the music, I just want to make money".et voila: now the business-type is the evil shark who ripp off poor artists.sorry, but this is some black/white thinking I can't follow. it's easy to say that the record labels/exec. are the "evyl guys" and the musicians the "good guys" - yet it's not true. I work with quite a few music business execs together, and I enjoy it. what they want is talent, great working ethics and great music that can be _marketed_. I don't see why this should be bad; I'm happy if they can market my music successfully since this means I earn serious money with what I love doing: music!to quote dan kimpel: "music business is TWO words. may the music always come first". (note: but there's also a business).cheers,martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

soundsgreat
Active
Active

Post by soundsgreat » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:35 am

Simple answer ? Get a job, any job, in the industry that exposes you to the daily running of the company in which you want to work. Study along the way, and you have both ends of the equation covered. Knowledge + experience = success.cheers, niteshift

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:00 am

Jun 4, 2008, 2:19am, gitarrero wrote:hi groovy chick,I don't have a quick and fast answer, but personally I think it goes into the same directions as a question such as "how do I become a successfull record producer".my personal experience: education does help, yes - it simply gives you some important tools. at the same time, it's not absolutely mandatory (at least as a record producer; don't know too much as a rec. exec.) - I think you need to start somewhere. do some internship in record labels, learn how the diffrent fields of this business work, ask questions, be hungry for knowledge and commit yourself to your goal.this may sound unspectacular, but a lot of people I see would "like" to be successfull as composer, producer, bizz-type or whatever BUT they don't act like that. meaning: it seems that their goal isn't important enough for them, some are simply not willing to invest enough time & energy into it. so it comes down to the question: what do you want in life, what is important to YOU? only you can answer this question for yourself.as a starting point you could read some biographies (I think they even can be found at wikipedia) from now successfull managers & record label exec - how was their way?if you have not already the knowledge about the diffrent departements and how they work together of a record label (a&r, product manager, etc) as well as the terms & principles of contracts & business-models (how exactly is a record contract for an artist set up, how do the royalties get calculated, what are "new markets" etc etc), I'd strongly recommend to acquire this knowledge."all you need to know about the music business" by donald passman is a great resource, for example.hope that helps @vicky: ""record" companies are a dying breed"I don't want to fall into some kind of a debate on principles but I disagree. the market is changing - and always was. did you know that when the broadcast radio was invented back in the beginning of the 20th century a lot of record labels of those days closed, simply because they didn't sell enough records anymore?record labels will continue to exist; the market shares are (already have) changing (cds, internet, tv etc) but you will always need some kind of promotional tools - and the money to stand out of the crowd, which an unsigned indie artist usually doesn't have.I don't say that there are not successfull alternative models of exploring cds/music besides record labels. but this doesn't mean that the rec. labels will die. however, the resources from where the money flows changes (as it always has)."it just speaks to the fact that most of these 'record' companies are about big business rather than the fostering of the talent that goes into creating the music."once I've read an interesting statement to that: if a musician says "I don't care about all this business and money, I'm a true artist and just do my music" than s/he might be considered as a "true", "real" artist that has no money but lives only for his/her music.now imagine if a business-type says the same thing on his side, i.e. "I don't care about the music, I just want to make money".et voila: now the business-type is the evil shark who ripp off poor artists.sorry, but this is some black/white thinking I can't follow. it's easy to say that the record labels/exec. are the "evyl guys" and the musicians the "good guys" - yet it's not true. I work with quite a few music business execs together, and I enjoy it. what they want is talent, great working ethics and great music that can be _marketed_. I don't see why this should be bad; I'm happy if they can market my music successfully since this means I earn serious money with what I love doing: music!to quote dan kimpel: "music business is TWO words. may the music always come first". (note: but there's also a business).cheers,martinI think my point was that there are only 3 "major" record labels left and that "records" are not how music is going to be delivered anymore. In addition, I was making a general point that training in music didn't seem to be on the list of 'things to accomplish' in order to be an executive of a music business, and contemplating whether that was a universal view.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Link: Vikki Flawith Music

lsp
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by lsp » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:36 am

If you live in Nashville, Belmont University near Music Row is home to the Mike Curb College of Entrtainment & Music Business (Mike Curb of Curb Records). You should start there. There are tons of people in the music industry in Nasville and beyond that graduated and went straight into the business. http://www.belmont.edu/mb/index.htmlGood Luck.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:44 am

HiThere are some colleges that actually have Music Business or similar as a major. Berklee does, for example...http://www.berklee.edu/majors/mbm.htmlOf course I don't know the admission requirements (probably very competitive) or costs which are probably high without financial aid. Do some research on colleges that offer programs like this. Good luck! Casey

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:07 am

Good points, Martin and Vikki. And good luck with school, Groovy!

heinsite
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by heinsite » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:04 pm

hi groovy check and all--martin makes very good points, and has been pretty successful. he's producing one of my tunes right now (GET BACK TO WORK MARTY!!--ha ha), he's convinced me he's a pro, has real "cred" in my humble opinion, though i admire everyone on this thread so very much, can't argue with any of your points. the internship (for free i would suppose) if you have the time/money, is a damned good idea--especially if you have a music background as you've said.good luck,warren

finedivasoc

Post by finedivasoc » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:36 pm

I'd like to say thank you for all your helpful advice. I knew I'd receive a fantastic response from TAXI members. I will be working on the suggestions you've made to me on this board and hopefully, something will pan out right away? If not, I'll just keep trying.Wishing you all the best!Soc