rights from the publisher

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mactheneck
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:03 pm
Contact:

rights from the publisher

Post by mactheneck » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:09 pm

Hi thereI woud like to pitch an old Johnny Cash tune (Folsom prison blues).My version is very derivated. Nevertheless, I understand that I need the publishers permit. Here's my questions.1. How do find out who the publishing company is?2. How do I contact the them?3. How much will it cost to get the right to perform (or pitch) the song?Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks ahead. Richard

User avatar
hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro
Posts: 6885
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:50 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: rights from the publisher

Post by hummingbird » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:25 pm

Quote:Hi thereI woud like to pitch an old Johnny Cash tune (Folsom prison blues).My version is very derivated. Nevertheless, I understand that I need the publishers permit. Here's my questions.1. How do find out who the publishing company is?2. How do I contact the them?3. How much will it cost to get the right to perform (or pitch) the song?Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks ahead. RichardHi - Q 1 & 2 -- contact the Harry Fox Agency in the US. What you need is a compulsory licence.3 - depends on how old the song is. If it was new cover song, then the mechanical licencing would be $.091 cents x number of CDs you plan to manufacture. I believe it's less for a compulsory licence.IF you are not issuing the song on a CD, but just plan to pitch it to music publishers, then you just copyright your arrangement of the cover song... and leave it to the user of the song to obtain the compulsory licence & pay the fee.For the most part, I don't see listings for cover songs unless they are Public Domain. Now and then you do, but generally speaking, you don't. Just be aware that if you are pitching it for film/tv it may have a limited market. That being said, I am no expert in this, I'm just giving my opinion.this resource may helphttp://www.cleverjoe.com/articles/music_copyri ... ummin'bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Link: Vikki Flawith Music
Link: For the 'Shy Singer'
Link: The Shy Songwriter's Blog

53mph
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 419
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:57 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: rights from the publisher

Post by 53mph » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:12 pm

I got told by a screener that Taxi has a policy of not forwarding cover versions of songs. I'd done a country version of a Satie song (which should be out of copyright by now) but their reason for not forwarding it was that it was not an original composition.Generally, the listings which ask for public domain songs also point you in the direction of websites where you can find lists of these songs.If you're pitching a song to labels then you don't really need to worry about copyright issues until someone agrees to release it.If your pitching to music libraries then they generally want you to sort out the copyright issues before they touch it.Just my morning's thoughts.

User avatar
hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro
Posts: 6885
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:50 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: rights from the publisher

Post by hummingbird » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:26 am

Quote:I got told by a screener that Taxi has a policy of not forwarding cover versions of songs. I'd done a country version of a Satie song (which should be out of copyright by now) but their reason for not forwarding it was that it was not an original composition.Generally, the listings which ask for public domain songs also point you in the direction of websites where you can find lists of these songs.If you're pitching a song to labels then you don't really need to worry about copyright issues until someone agrees to release it.If your pitching to music libraries then they generally want you to sort out the copyright issues before they touch it.Just my morning's thoughts.How can you sort out the copyright issues of a cover song before pitching it to music libraries? The person using the cover song has to pay royalties, not the songwriter pitching it. In the case of a cover song, the end user would have to pay performance royalties to the arranger/producer; as well as songwriting royalties to the songwriter (which wouldn't be the same people). As I said in my post, 99% of the time, you don't see listings for cover songs unless they are public domain. You see listings for "a la's". If one is looking to pitch music for film/tv, I would stick to originals and public domain. IMO.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Link: Vikki Flawith Music
Link: For the 'Shy Singer'
Link: The Shy Songwriter's Blog

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 3320
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:02 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: rights from the publisher

Post by matto » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:55 am

I think he might be talking about submitting to this listing:NEW LISTING -- COVER SONGS & INSTRUMENTALS in ANY GENRE are sought by the Pres. of an LA-based Publishing Co. for film/TV placement. "Outside the box" cover versions are preferred -- think an Electronica version of a folk-ish Bob Dylan song as an example, or Dynamite Hack's Alt.-Pop cover version of "Boyz In The Hood" by Eazy-E. Any covers are acceptable -- not just hit/very popular songs. Album "deep cuts" are OK. =-) If you haven't copywritten your cover song's arrangement yet, at the very least make sure you do have it registered with your PRO (ASCAP, BMI, PRS, etc.). You must own the master rights to your cover, of course. The owner of the company splits the license fee with you 40/60 [that 60% is for you] and doesn't take any publishing on placements. This company's owner will screen your submissions. Broadcast quality needed [excellent home recordings are OK]. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD, include lyrics. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS ONLY -- NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI. For ground submissions, please enclose a S.A.S.E. if you would like a response. Submissions must be received no later than Dec. 3, 2007.TAXI # Y071203CVAs you can see, they're specifically asking for covers.Mactheneck: In this case, you not need to contact the publisher for permission, you're simply recording your own version of a previously released song (which you are always allowed to do without asking for permission), and then you are pitching it to this industry person via Taxi. You are not releasing it or selling it to the public, hence the Harry Fox issue raised by Hummingbird does not apply.Simply make sure you register the song with your PRO as per the instructions in the listing.The one thing to keep in mind is that, if you get forwarded, sign a deal, and this publisher places your song in a production, you can only collect your share (60% in this case) of the master license fee...you won't get sync since that would go to the original writer(s), as would any ASCAP/BMI etc performance royalties generated. So that's something to be aware of and the one thing that sets this situation apart from submitting your own original songs or PD song.matto

mactheneck
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:03 pm
Contact:

Re: rights from the publisher

Post by mactheneck » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:52 pm

Thanks folks for the info. You've been a great help (it figures ). So, I reckon, I just go ahead and await what's to come. Thanks again. Richard

mactheneck
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:03 pm
Contact:

Re: rights from the publisher

Post by mactheneck » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:40 pm

Well, still a little worried about getting sued and ruined. Can anybody allay my fears thoroughly? Richard

User avatar
hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro
Posts: 6885
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:50 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: rights from the publisher

Post by hummingbird » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:52 pm

Richard, it would help if you could explain what you intend to do with your version of the song. Are you:- planning to record the song and put it on your CD; - or do you want to put your recording online to sell or stream; - or do you want to pitch your arrangement of it to music libraries/publishers for film/tv; - or are you pitching yourself as an artist & using your recording of the song as a demo.H
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Link: Vikki Flawith Music
Link: For the 'Shy Singer'
Link: The Shy Songwriter's Blog

53mph
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 419
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:57 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: rights from the publisher

Post by 53mph » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:07 pm

Quote:Mactheneck: In this case, you not need to contact the publisher for permission, you're simply recording your own version of a previously released song (which you are always allowed to do without asking for permission), and then you are pitching it to this industry person via Taxi. You are not releasing it or selling it to the public, hence the Harry Fox issue raised by Hummingbird does not apply.Simply make sure you register the song with your PRO as per the instructions in the listing.The one thing to keep in mind is that, if you get forwarded, sign a deal, and this publisher places your song in a production, you can only collect your share (60% in this case) of the master license fee...you won't get sync since that would go to the original writer(s), as would any ASCAP/BMI etc performance royalties generated. So that's something to be aware of and the one thing that sets this situation apart from submitting your own original songs or PD song.mattoMatto's advice looks pretty clear to me.If you're pitching the song to labels you don't need to do anything.The issue of copyright only comes up when the song is broadcast or sold to the public. But as long as you are not passing yourself off as the writer you shouldn't have any problems.The thing I mentioned earlier about clearing copyright before sending them to Library Music Labels, I was thinking of samples being using in original compositions. Sorry, I confused the issue there a bit.

mactheneck
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:03 pm
Contact:

Re: rights from the publisher

Post by mactheneck » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:17 am

Thanks again for all your concern. I really appreciate it. And yes Vikki, I was only going to pitch my arrangement of the song for film/tv. After what 53mph wrote I'm pretty reassured and will go ahead and do it......................................without the grave apprehensions. Thanks again. Richard

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests