Seeking perspective on a music library contract

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

keethapple

Seeking perspective on a music library contract

Post by keethapple » Thu May 31, 2012 11:55 pm

Anyone with some experience working with music libraries want to comment on this paragraph of a contract I am reviewing?

This library (hereafter referred to as MUSIC LIBRARY!) wants to non-exclusively license a few tracks from me, retitle the tracks, keep 100% of publishing, and give me 100% of writer's share.

"MUSIC LIBRARY shall not be required to pay monies to or otherwise compensate COMPOSER for any reason, including but not limited to the licensing, mechanical, synchronization, and or any other income that may be accrued by MUSIC LIBRARY resulting from the licensing, exploitation, and distribution of COMPOSITIONS embodied in the LIBRARIES. Notwithstanding the foregoing, proceeds from any single or individual track (non-blanket) license fee will be split 50/50 with COMPOSER."

I think their "blanket" license means the library licenses a hard drive full of music to a client and they can use whatever they want. Is this a bad deal? Or just a normal deal?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Seeking perspective on a music library contract

Post by Casey H » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:23 am

Keeth

First, congrats! :mrgreen:

It's not a bad deal at all-- it's a type of deal. I'm familiar with this library and they've made many placements for myself (Quite a few!) and composers I know. Taxi has worked with them for a long time and they are very reputable.

You are correct that "blanket" means they charge one fee to the end user for full, unlimited access to their catalog (or portion). This library does not share blanket fees with composers. All the earnings from such placements are back-end through your PRO. But keep in mind that a great many placements these days have little or no upfront fee to the composer so "back-end only" is not uncommon.

Earnings from placements can vary from pocket change for a number of cable networks to a bit more for other cable channels to very nice :D for major networks.

HTH
Best of luck!
:ugeek: Casey

keethapple

Re: Seeking perspective on a music library contract

Post by keethapple » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:32 pm

Thanks Casey!

Much appreciated,

Keeth!

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician