So I got my first returns today!

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

KristoffScottMusic

So I got my first returns today!

Post by KristoffScottMusic » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:01 pm

Before I joined Taxi,I did my research;looked to see what others said about it,good and bad..
One thing that reoccurred was the complaint that some people never had any success and that is was a scam or whatever....
I think today ,getting my reviews back really cemented what I thought about those comments,and why I joined taxi.
My theory was that maybe some people either are not as good as they thought,or couldn't take criticism due to ego deflation. I'm pretty sure that was right on.
These 4 songs they returned were the very first I have offered,and I recorded everything but the drums on them all. All vocals ,all guitar,bass,etc,and I did it as someone who has had producers my whole life and never had to record for myself.
SO..The comments were great,and really gave me a great outsiders prospective on my own work ,which is really a must for anyone serious about making music that they care anything about having OTHER people enjoy.
Some of it was surprising such as two comments on two different songs that they should have been submitted for something in a Rock Pop genre which I never would have thought would work. That really made me happy because I had no idea that I was doing anything that would fit in that box,so now I have a broader range of options that I didn't have yesterday.
Other stuff like the production level and all that wasn't a surprise,but it definitely gives me motivation to work harder on getting that together. All in all,I was the opposite of disappointed. I'm happy to have my first returns,and excited to move ahead and do better because the song structure and musicianship comments were all great and very flattering. so the building blocks are there,I just have work to do.
Joining Taxi is the best thing I could have done. You guys and girls are all so great ,and helpful,and the youtube live shows are inspiring and I think we all know Michael actually gives a s#!t about us and our talents.
For those that quit or never joined,they have no idea what they're missing. For me,it's a chance to be a much much better musician and producer with new friends that can help and inspire.
Than you guys so much for being so great.
Sorry to go on so long,but this is a great day for me.
see ya on the next Taxi live!

YoungManTerrell
Active
Active

Re: So I got my first returns today!

Post by YoungManTerrell » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:44 pm

I hope they're many forwards in a non distant future. Proud you're able and willing to take others critique, as many others are as able though, not as willing. Enjoy yourself, stay dedicated, and stay light.

-Terrell Beckless

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:40 am

Hi and congratulations!
By being so accepting of the constructive criticism puts you way ahead of all those who can't seem to get past it, feel they've been wronged, and take it personally. Having our music returned can be disappointing but it doesn't make us bad people. It simply means that we've got a guided opportunity to make it better, more likely to be signed be a library, and more likely to get a placement that earns money. Learning something in the process is a bonus. Isn't that what we all want and why we came to Taxi? All of that is much better than having sub-par music forwarded if, in reality, it has little chance of getting any further. That's just deferring the disappointment but without the education along the way. Libraries will ignore sub-par music and have no time to offer any constructive criticism, so its better to get that up-front from Taxi screeners so we can improve our music and our chances.

Well done to you for taking it on the chin and being happy to move on with a positive frame of mind. I hope your healthy attitude pays dividends. Good luck to you!
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

KristoffScottMusic

Post by KristoffScottMusic » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:42 pm

Thanks Guys,and the Taxi screeners are such a blessing.

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:46 am

Hurts so good, doesnt it! 8-)
Ceo of my own life

KristoffScottMusic

Post by KristoffScottMusic » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:40 pm

It does. It feels like progress.

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:45 pm

KristoffScottMusic wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:40 pm
It does. It feels like progress.
It's absolutely progress in the right direction! Taking the leap to compose and record, and then submit for critique, a professional critique, is a huge step!

I would suggest using the forums to review potential submissions as well. You'll get a whole host of opinions, and some of them may sting, but they will make your compositions better and better.

Welcome to the party!
Brad

KristoffScottMusic

Post by KristoffScottMusic » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:53 pm

LOL...they might sting...That's funny. You're right,it could,but I know all of you are great at what we do so I trust this community to be real and to know what they're talking about;Plus, I know it's just helping a brother. That makes it sting a lot less! :lol:
There's an awesome family feeling here without competition,and that's what we all need.

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:29 pm

KristoffScottMusic wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:53 pm
LOL...they might sting...That's funny. You're right,it could,but I know all of you are great at what we do so I trust this community to be real and to know what they're talking about;Plus, I know it's just helping a brother. That makes it sting a lot less! :lol:
There's an awesome family feeling here without competition,and that's what we all need.
You got it!

Critiques and negative feedback only sting if you take it personally; but it's not. Some are just more to the point than others. After I began to shed my ego on just how everything I created was great (which it was not, really not at all) I really began to learn, and that's been a great journey so far.

KristoffScottMusic

Post by KristoffScottMusic » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:39 pm

https://www.taxi.com/members/u6j5q9rFQx ... -RDdOS4ujg

I got this one last night. The listing was the "Acid Rock" listing with music like Queens of the Stone Age,etc.
i will post it too so you all can hear it. I
m really happy about the way I feel about the critiques..lol..I'm definitely not the guy I was 10 years ago.
This one made me really happy because it was recorded live in a studio the size of a garage in 1995. We were all in one room with everything mic'd and we just played. This song can't be re-recorded because it's all feel. Not really any structure at all. The guys were just looking to my signals on when we were at certain spots .
For you fellow gear heads,the Bluesy guitar is me,and I'm using a Jap Fender 62 Re-issue and a Crate VC 50,which to me,has a really amazing tone . It was the model with 3 10" speakers. 6L6 GC groove Tubes and 2 GT 12Ax7's. I'd love to have another one.
Anyway,here's the song,.