Songwriter Bill of Rights

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Songwriter Bill of Rights

Post by nomiyah » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:42 pm

You might be interested in this. It was sent to me from ASCAP:"The signatures that we collect on this Bill of Rights for Songwriters and Composers will be shared with key legislators in Washington, as well as numerous other leaders both inside and outside the music industry," said ASCAP CEO John A. LoFrumento. "Now is the time to ensure that everyone who has a stake in determining the future of music, both as an art and as an industry, recognizes the importance of protecting creators' rights."Those who wish to add their support to the Bill can sign it electronically.ASCAP encourages its members to help spread the word! Share the URL www.ascap.com/rights and encourage everyone you know to sign their support!A BILL OF RIGHTSFOR SONGWRITERS AND COMPOSERSCreated by ASCAP, the American Society of Composers, Authors and PublishersJust as citizens of a nation must be educated about their rights to ensure that they are protected and upheld, so too must those who compose words and music know the rights that support their own acts of creation. Without these rights, which directly emanate from the U.S. Constitution, many who dream of focusing their talents and energies on music creation would be economically unable to do so - an outcome that would diminish artistic expression today and for future generations.At this time, when so many forces are seeking to diminish copyright protections and devalue artistic expression, this Bill of Rights for Songwriters and Composers looks to clarify the entitlements that every music creator enjoys. 1. We have the right to be compensated for the use of our creative works, and share in the revenues that they generate. 2. We have the right to license our works and control the ways in which they are used. 3. We have the right to withhold permission for uses of our works on artistic, economic or philosophical grounds. 4. We have the right to protect our creative works to the fullest extent of the law from all forms of piracy, theft and unauthorized use, which deprive us of our right to earn a living based on our creativity. 5. We have the right to choose when and where our creative works may be used for free. 6. We have the right to develop, document and distribute our works through new media channels - while retaining the right to a share in all associated profits. 7. We have the right to choose the organizations we want to represent us and to join our voices together to protect our rights and negotiate for the value of our music. 8. We have the right to earn compensation from all types of "performances," including direct, live renditions as well as indirect recordings, broadcasts, digital streams and more. 9. We have the right to decline participation in business models that require us to relinquish all or part of our creative rights - or which do not respect our right to be compensated for our work. 10. We have the right to advocate for strong laws protecting our creative works, and demand that our government vigorously uphold and protect our rights.

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Songwriter Bill of Rights

Post by squids » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:10 pm

They're damn right we have those rights. They can come all up in my face, i'm not skeert. Signed the petition and have sent it on to many others. Greedy sumbitches anyway....grrrrr!On a happier note, good ta see ya, nomi!

milfus
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by milfus » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:19 pm

no doubt, yeah im about to go sign meself
in the time of trumpets and guitars, there was an oboe

ggalen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ggalen » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:31 am

I signed.Here's hoping it helps move the debate in the right direction and fairness results.

twilsbach
Impressive
Impressive

Post by twilsbach » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:05 am

To quote Little Stevie Wonder: "Signed, Sealed, Delivered".

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:42 am

I signed!
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

aimusic
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aimusic » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:10 am

I would definately sign it, but I don't live in the States

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:53 am

THANK YOU, Miss Nomi, for sharing this. You had better BELIEVE I signed it. And will pass it on to just about everybody I know.Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:29 pm

I went to a couple of ASCAP member meetings and they do a lot for songwriters in Washington DC. I'm still mad since learning that we don't get mechanical royalties from DVD sales. That just doesn't seem fair.

wta
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by wta » Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 am

I'm with BMI... can I sign?
Music is like oxygen, you can live without it but not for very long...
http://www.withcriminalintent.com
http://www.williamthomasanderson.com